Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
MAYBE Z28 Sooner than later?

Whitacre: General Motors will roll out new models early

Robert Snell / The Detroit News

General Motors Co. will introduce certain vehicles sooner than originally planned to fight market share erosion, the company's new chairman said today. Without being specific, Chairman Ed Whitacre said GM's Board of Directors has moved up some vehicle introductions to counter losses in market share -- a top priority for the former AT&T Inc. chairman and CEO. GM, which emerged from federal bankruptcy court July 10 after shedding debts and receiving $50 billion in federal aid, might reallocate spending plans to stem market share losses. "Our cash position is good," Whitacre said. "We have some flexibility." GM's share of the market declined last month from 20.5 percent to 18.9 percent -- down from more than 50 percent decades ago. Its market share is expected to shrink because GM is selling or phasing out the Saturn, Saab, Hummer and Pontiac brands as part of its restructuring. Whitacre spoke in a wide-ranging interview with reporters a day after the board concluded its first meeting since GM emerged from bankruptcy. He spoke about his relationship with United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger and whether GM's corporate culture needs to change. "The people I've encountered certainly are capable and enthusiastic. I don't know that the culture really needs to be changed," he said. Whitacre said he recently met with Gettelfinger.
"I think relations are going to be quite good going forward. That is certainly my hope," Whitacre said. "We're all in this together."

Whitacre heads a largely revamped 13-member board, more than half of its members newly appointed, including four selected by its majority stakeholder, the U.S. government. The government holds 60.8 percent of GM, while the Canadian government holds 11.7 percent and a United Auto Workers health care trust owns 17.5 percent. Unsecured creditors own 10 percent. The board, which will meet monthly and by phone as needed, drove some of GM's new products at the Milford Proving Grounds on Tuesday. The board unanimously supports President and CEO Fritz Henderson, Whitacre said. "He certainly has our blessings and encouragement," he said. "He has everything he needs to do his job and knows what the board expects of him."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...395/1148/rss25
http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/08/05...-than-planned/
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
interesting
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Cars we’d like to see GM release earlier than planned? Chevrolet Camaro Z28, Chevrolet Camaro Convertible and the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

This is crap! How in the world are these three cars going to help GM to the point they want. Don't get me wrong guys, I want these cars as much as the next guy, but these are not high volume cars. Gm needs to sell the cars that really rake in the cash, and these three are not it.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I would be betting that the new vehicles would be in target markets that do not currently have a car that is outpacing demand. Expect new vehicles to include the Spark or Trax rather than a car that already has more buyers than cars on lots. The Z28 is not a guarantee, but there is the possibility that such a car may exist when GM is in a more stable place or when GM finds that Camaro production is leaving enough models in lots for everyone who immediately wants a car to get one.

If there is a Z28 in the cards, there's plenty of reason to believe that GM will produce it in a future where GM is viable and there are a few Camaros on lots. Now is not an ideal time to produce a Z28.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35632
maybe my speculations are right?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post

Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Here is the whole article from the detroit free press.... The mention about the Z/28 is not in here. It was added in by egmcartech.com as what they would want to see released early.

Whitacre: General Motors will roll out new models early

Robert Snell / The Detroit News

General Motors Co. will introduce certain vehicles sooner than originally planned to fight market share erosion, the company's new chairman said today. Without being specific, Chairman Ed Whitacre said GM's Board of Directors has moved up some vehicle introductions to counter losses in market share -- a top priority for the former AT&T Inc. chairman and CEO. GM, which emerged from federal bankruptcy court July 10 after shedding debts and receiving $50 billion in federal aid, might reallocate spending plans to stem market share losses. "Our cash position is good," Whitacre said. "We have some flexibility." GM's share of the market declined last month from 20.5 percent to 18.9 percent -- down from more than 50 percent decades ago. Its market share is expected to shrink because GM is selling or phasing out the Saturn, Saab, Hummer and Pontiac brands as part of its restructuring. Whitacre spoke in a wide-ranging interview with reporters a day after the board concluded its first meeting since GM emerged from bankruptcy. He spoke about his relationship with United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger and whether GM's corporate culture needs to change. "The people I've encountered certainly are capable and enthusiastic. I don't know that the culture really needs to be changed," he said. Whitacre said he recently met with Gettelfinger.
"I think relations are going to be quite good going forward. That is certainly my hope," Whitacre said. "We're all in this together."

Whitacre heads a largely revamped 13-member board, more than half of its members newly appointed, including four selected by its majority stakeholder, the U.S. government. The government holds 60.8 percent of GM, while the Canadian government holds 11.7 percent and a United Auto Workers health care trust owns 17.5 percent. Unsecured creditors own 10 percent. The board, which will meet monthly and by phone as needed, drove some of GM's new products at the Milford Proving Grounds on Tuesday. The board unanimously supports President and CEO Fritz Henderson, Whitacre said. "He certainly has our blessings and encouragement," he said. "He has everything he needs to do his job and knows what the board expects of him."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...395/1148/rss25
http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/08/05...-than-planned/
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: Blown beast.
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I thought of that thread when I opened this one.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
This is crap! How in the world are these three cars going to help GM to the point they want. Don't get me wrong guys, I want these cars as much as the next guy, but these are not high volume cars. Gm needs to sell the cars that really rake in the cash, and these three are not it.

If you follow the sources in the OP's link you can see that the statement about the Camaro Z28, Camaro Convertible and the CTS-V Coupe was not made by Ed Whitacre it was added in by a third party.... just trying to clear up any confusion.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It would make sense. I know exactly what you're thinking.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
I'd really consider a Z28 if they had it out by next summer, I don't see it happening though.
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
shinzon
Sith Lord

Drives: 2014 1LE 2ss
bs they will introduce new models.....really OK... threee crappy suv crossover...

Equinox, Caddy equinox, and GMC equinox

way to give us NEW models.....barf

2014 Black ZL1
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
If you follow the sources in the OP's link you can see that the statement about the Camaro Z28, Camaro Convertible and the CTS-V Coupe was not made by Ed Whitacre it was added in by a third party.... just trying to clear up any confusion.
Yeah, I know. I'm bi#*&$g at them not GM. My way of calling them dumb.Of course my opinion doesn't matter though...:(
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
ShnOmac

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I'm bi#*&$g at them not GM. My way of calling them dumb.Of course my opinion doesn't matter though...:(
Got ya CC
Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzon View Post
bs they will introduce new models.....really OK... threee crappy suv crossover...

Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #16
camarokidz28

Drives: 1996 z28
He was probably talking about cars like the Volt or some other "green" car insted of a car that people realy want like the Z28 or the convertable
camarokidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
ShnOmac

Its all speculation.... He did not mention any specifics in the statement

"Without being specific, Chairman Ed Whitacre said GM's Board of Directors has moved up some vehicle introductions to counter losses in market share"
Old 08-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Maybe I'm nitpicky, but I wouldn't call the Z28 a new model, its a new trim for an existing car. Same goes for the variations on the CTS. The Cadillac Converj would be a new model, the Chevy Beat would be a new model. CTS-V Coupe? Not a new model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzon View Post

First, the SRX isn't a twin to the equinox. Second, all three are quite good. The Caddy is at least on par with the Lexus RX, which is the segment leader. GM used some voodoo magic to make a 4500 lb crossover get over 30 mpg highway (FWD 4cyl Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain).

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #19
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yes, I completely agree.

It also got me thinking though...if GM continues to put out cars that people like...and would love to own...but not necessarily "buy"...then maybe the general public's view of the brand would begin to change and people would be more apt to buy GM products.

Just look at Hyundai...back in the day, people looked at them as P.O.S's...but with their later models, more and more people are buying them. Heck, the buzz around the Genesis even had potential Camaro owners considering it!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Well on one hand, the Volt's likely EPA rating could help GM meet CAFE requirements more easily, so the Z28 could happen. On the other hand, GM is back to playing its favorite game of "delay the product launch" with the convertible, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about seeing anything ahead of schedule, especially Camaro related.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
The Autoblog sites are on fire today with GM claiming the volt will get 230mpg, this will be some sort of loophole to meet CAFE reqrmts to usher in these exciting rear wheel platforms, cts coupe, Caddy xts, z/28.
I think we'll see the Z/28 sooner than later. All they needed for the Z/28 program was for the Camaro to sell well and it has gone beyond i think what everyone thought it would do.
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 67, SS - RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Well I guess someone knew what they were talking about.