Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

USA - NY / NJ / PA NY, NJ, PA

Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Vuron00

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT
PA Laws?

I haven't lived in PA long and have had the same vehicle since I moved. I'm trying to figure out what mods I can and can't do to my car, but keep reading responses from people in PA saying they can't do certain things.

I already know that we can't tint our windows more than we get from the factory. How about blacking out headlights, tail lights, etc. Some kind of exhaust rules?

Can anyone maybe give me a quick overview or point me to a good link?
Vuron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Frans96ss
Race Proven Motorsports

Drives: 96SS
PA is very easy to pass inspection. I have had 8 second cars with sticker on them If you need mods to your car or any help with the other stuff let me know.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Yellow/RS pk
There are tons of stupid laws that only the most bored or 'my wife tore me a new asshole this morning so now you're gonna pay' cops will bother you over. Most of them are to give cops just cause to pull punks over. Don't worry about it, and live a little. If you don't go around driving like an asshole, they will leave you alone. As for inspections, like the last guy said, it's easy. Get to know your shop.
ORDERED: April 15, 2009 Est. Delivery: August, 2009?

CamaroSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
from what I've heard only state cops can actually make judgment as to whether something is legal or not on your car, is this true?

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Amwellls1
Old School

Drives: 2002 WS6 440 m6
My 440 ls7 TA passes emissions legit in Pa
Amwellls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
MyNewSolstice

Drives: 06 Solstice
No the officers are not the judge other than a noise ordinance they can't ask you to pop the hood or anything...my brother in law is an officer....
MyNewSolstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
MyNewSolstice

Drives: 06 Solstice
and actually they won't even plug a pipe into your exhaust on a new car they read the OBDII at least on the solstice they did and that is a hi-flow cat and muffler delete!
MyNewSolstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Rodge

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS Auto w/ 21's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuron00 View Post
I haven't lived in PA long and have had the same vehicle since I moved. I'm trying to figure out what mods I can and can't do to my car, but keep reading responses from people in PA saying they can't do certain things.

I already know that we can't tint our windows more than we get from the factory. How about blacking out headlights, tail lights, etc. Some kind of exhaust rules?

Can anyone maybe give me a quick overview or point me to a good link?
I tint all windows (except windshield) to SUV dark 85% on all my vehicles. See the statute below:

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.
Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below 70%. The Law therefore implicitly permits any tinting which does not prevent a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle.
Note also that it does NOT say that a person must be able to view the inside of the vehicle, only that the tint cannot prevent a person from seeing in. (no one can see into a vehicle at night, even with clear windows) Also the way the law is stated it is only requiring that a person be able to see the inside either through the windshield, side wing OR side window. If the word 'and' was used instead of 'or' it would require viewing through all of the mentioned windows.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
Vuron, as a Pa police officer, the best advice I can give you is to check with your Pa Inspection Mechanic about your planned mods, to see if they will interfere with passing. He/She should be informed as to what would keep your car from passing. Granted, the Pa State police will be stricter in enforcing inspection laws on vehicles that are "obviously" in question.