Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
SAtownCAMARO
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/1995 LT1 Corvette
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 21
Cam question

So I'm buying an ECS SC1500 supercharger kit and my question is, will my current cam work with it. I have a comp cam that was put on about 2 years ago. I was trying to find the exact specs on it but can't find them but back then I was told it was the most aggressive cam that you could get for the LS3 at the time. Just need to know if I can keep it in there. I read in another post that you can but you just won't get the full potential from the SC like you would with a blower cam. Any info would help.

Thanks
SAtownCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
blake-b


 
blake-b's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS 388LSX
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,343
As you read in another post, the cam will work. It just isn't optimized for your setup. How much more HP would you get for an "optimized" cam? Who knows? 5? 10? 50? It all depends on the total combination you are running for an engine.

Get the ECS installed, drive it and if you decide you want more power, either pulley down, add meth, or get a cam speced to your combo. I did all three!!
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
SAtownCAMARO
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/1995 LT1 Corvette
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
As you read in another post, the cam will work. It just isn't optimized for your setup. How much more HP would you get for an "optimized" cam? Who knows? 5? 10? 50? It all depends on the total combination you are running for an engine.

Get the ECS installed, drive it and if you decide you want more power, either pulley down, add meth, or get a cam speced to your combo. I did all three!!
Cool thanks for the advice!
SAtownCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Unreal


 
Drives: 2006 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 5,556
I'll agree with 99% of what blake said. There is a small chance that a cam won't like a blower at all if the dynamic compression is way high. With the added boost you would not be able to run any timing/etc and in that case I would say a cam swap would have to be done. That being said, that is a rare case and you will probably be fine. Tuner would be able to tell. If the car is pinging like crazy and won't take more than 10 degrees then it may be an issue.
__________________
Nick
Corvette Z06 -1200ish rwhp
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
SAtownCAMARO
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/1995 LT1 Corvette
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I'll agree with 99% of what blake said. There is a small chance that a cam won't like a blower at all if the dynamic compression is way high. With the added boost you would not be able to run any timing/etc and in that case I would say a cam swap would have to be done. That being said, that is a rare case and you will probably be fine. Tuner would be able to tell. If the car is pinging like crazy and won't take more than 10 degrees then it may be an issue.
Thanks! Cam is 231/236 btw
SAtownCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
RankSS
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saskatoon SK Can. Eh
Posts: 200
What springs do you have with that cam?
You could pull the valve cover and check lift if you wanted more info on cam.
Depending on the mileage the springs may be getting weak
__________________
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
blake-b


 
blake-b's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS 388LSX
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,343
Sounds like your cam may be the TSP 231/236 cam.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
Bo White



 
Bo White's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vance Alabama
Posts: 5,249
If it is that's the cam Birm is running in his ECS blown Camaro and it threw down some impressive #s on the dyno.
__________________
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
SAtownCAMARO
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/1995 LT1 Corvette
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
What springs do you have with that cam?
You could pull the valve cover and check lift if you wanted more info on cam.
Depending on the mileage the springs may be getting weak
I'll check when I get home which springs they are....not too sure. They have about 10-15k on them.
SAtownCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
old motorhead

 
Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SE TX
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtownCAMARO View Post
Thanks! Cam is 231/236 btw
If your cam is ground on at least a 111 or wider LSA with little or no advance ground in, you're OK. Even slightly narrower LSA or a little advance could work fine with a blower. At that point, it might be time to get the opinion of an expert though.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
TornadoSS
WICKDSS
 
TornadoSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,113
I'm running the TSP 231/236 cam (112 LSA) with the ECS 1500 kit. My car is putting down 636 rwhp and 581 tq with the restrictor in place and barely 8 psi on 91 octane. Alky controls kit going on in a few weeks hoping for closer to 700. The cam works great with a centri blower.
__________________
2011 IOM SS/RS, M6. Look up our all generation Camaro club website at Heartland Camaros
Gforce Engineering Drivetrain, ECS 1500 Supercharger, TSP Cam, Alky Controls Meth single nozzle. 91 octane, 698 RWHP 625 rwtq. 4200#+, Tuned by Justin "Justune" Kalwei
11.57 @ 126.8 mph with a crappy 1.80 60'.....still learning to drive....M&H DR's and skinnies on 17" Welds.
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Rcfiddy1

 
Rcfiddy1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manalapan, New Jersey
Posts: 2,019
ECS goodies.
__________________
Build Thread
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 AM   #13
SAtownCAMARO
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/1995 LT1 Corvette
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
What springs do you have with that cam?
You could pull the valve cover and check lift if you wanted more info on cam.
Depending on the mileage the springs may be getting weak

Springs are the PRC .650 dual springs
SAtownCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
SAtownCAMARO
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/1995 LT1 Corvette
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
If your cam is ground on at least a 111 or wider LSA with little or no advance ground in, you're OK. Even slightly narrower LSA or a little advance could work fine with a blower. At that point, it might be time to get the opinion of an expert though.
Good info! Thank you


Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoSS View Post
I'm running the TSP 231/236 cam (112 LSA) with the ECS 1500 kit. My car is putting down 636 rwhp and 581 tq with the restrictor in place and barely 8 psi on 91 octane. Alky controls kit going on in a few weeks hoping for closer to 700. The cam works great with a centri blower.
Wow awesome numbers! Thanks for the info.
SAtownCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.