Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
A Word To FBodFather from Canadians... please read FBodFather!!!

So here it is.... I love the new Camaro. I cant wait to get one. I want one.
My plead is this... and I'm sure all Canadians on the site and around all over will agree with me posting this.... if not, then voice your self in this thread.

With the recent overcharging of Canadians on vehicles (vehicles built right here in Canada I might add by various manufacturers) I am pleading that we not be taken advantage of, and, be overcharged ridiculous amounts, such as 30% higher (even 40% in some cases) more than our freinds down south. Me and my friends have contacted numerous manufacturers about why the price is so much and they all have a typical response to give. They all put it politely, but, what they mean to say is we do because we can.

Now with that being said I can respect that manufactures are trying to protect the dealerships and all and they have to deal with different taxes and regulations when dealing with Canada.... which I understand you have to perhaps charge us more for. I don't have a problem with that.

But when manufacturers start charging 30% higher prices, when the dollar is parity, its wrong. I understand some more higher prices when the dollar is not at parity, but not to the excess that were being charged.

In this effort, I have typed and this and am posting this thread so that perhaps someone that has been so helpful and awesome along the way to the Camaro community such as FBodFather, that you will read this and consider this and perhaps voice this to GM and maybe chime in this thread with something.

I know so many people would buy more cars if manufacturers were being fair.
If you think the prices being charged are fair then could we maybe get an explanation as to how those prices are determined and what factors contribute to the prices being so high for Canadian consumers. In all respect I think if a manufacturer could justify their prices and say look this is why.... I think a lot people would understand. However, putting off people by politely saying "we do because we can" isn't the kind of response we are looking for.

I really hope that you can come in here and say that we wont be overcharged a ridiculous amount for a car that is built here in Canada and then be sold down south for 30% cheaper.

I appreciate you reading this, as I would expect many other Canadians would too and perhaps you could give a word in this thread and re-assure us!!

ThankYou FBodFather.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
RadarJammer

Drives: 06 Mustang GT
ROFL

Nice avatar ^
RadarJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarJammer View Post
Nice avatar ^
It beats banging your head under blocks to get extra lives.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
That's crazy. What's to stop you from buying one here then?
Canadian Vehicle Standards restrictions... you see Canadian government is playing along here.... they wont allow the vehicles into Canada for importation on small technicalities.... and a lot of the manufacturers are doing things to the warranty (some just void it) to prevent you from buying in the states and brining it back to Canada.

Thats the jist of it as to why.

JAY
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Couldn't you just keep the car registered in the States and just drive back over to the States every time you need to renew a registration? Just need a willing partner south of the border? Surely they don't prevent any American car from crossing over into Canada... Americans could never come visit.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
camarorick

Drives: .
Hey Jay,

I'm in the process of importing a '08 CTS from the states. I've gone to all the dealers here in Montreal, and none of them can meet the price of our friends south of the border.

My work around for getting the car from the U.S. is to use a broker, and shipping company. Typically the broker will charge $400-$500 for doing everything from A-Z ( all paperwork, and importation ). The shipping is an additional $1500, and they park it in your driveway. This is for a cash purchase only.....

All that said, The price of the CTS in Montreal is $54,000, and from down south $44,000 ( plus the $2000 broker/shipping)..... $8000 dollars savings .

As for the warranty... You will need to wait 6 months before your G.M. car can be registered for warranty.

Here's a very informative forum where they discuss the process ( 900+ pages )

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307601
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Hey Jay,

I'm in the process of importing a '08 CTS from the states. I've gone to all the dealers here in Montreal, and none of them can meet the price of our friends south of the border.

My work around for getting the car from the U.S. is to use a broker, and shipping company. Typically the broker will charge $400-$500 for doing everything from A-Z ( all paperwork, and importation ). The shipping is an additional $1500, and they park it in your driveway. This is for a cash purchase only.....

All that said, The price of the CTS in Montreal is $54,000, and from down south $44,000 ( plus the $2000 broker/shipping)..... $8000 dollars savings .

As for the warranty... You will need to wait 6 months before your G.M. car can be registered for warranty.

That's beautiful when Camaro people help Camaro people!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamCamaro View Post
That's beautiful when Camaro people help Camaro people!

There was a lot of talk about this a while back. That info right there just helped out a great deal! Thanks and welcome!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
camarorick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

There was a lot of talk about this a while back. That info right there just helped out a great deal! Thanks and welcome!
Thank You !! I've been a lurker probably since the beginning, and only recently decided to sign up...... This whole Canadian pricing thing really burns me up, but at least there are options !!!!

Here are some more informative sites....

http://www.importcarsandsave.com/

http://www.importcartocanada.info/

Rick
Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
It's just stupid that Canada gets the shaft like this. For what purpose, they wold sell more volume if the prices were lower so its not like they would loose money.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A small portion is justified, we have a 5mph bumper standard as opposed to 2.5 for example. Most of it was justified when we were sitting at $0.80 US. But now? Its almost a complete ripoff.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Jay

Quote:
Hey Jay,

Thanks for the info Rick..... my cousin who I actually did it with just bought a Tahoe from down south through a broker. So I know what to do .... or atleast have a rough idea.... and will do so if I have to with the Camaro.

However this is not my point. What I want to get out of a car manufacturer is why? Why should Canadians have to pay close to 50% after taxes in some cases for the same car!!! We shouldn't have to go south and deal with all the grief at Canada customs and all the other paperowork, not to mention wait times and everything. We should be able to walk into a dealer locally, pick a car and walk out.

What im looking for is an explanation or reassurance that things are changing for the better in the future.... but it doesnt look like we are going to get that unfortunately.... which is sad.... but i guess the truth.

JAY
Old 04-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
camarorick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Thanks for the info Rick..... my cousin who I actually did it with just bought a Tahoe from down south through a broker. So I know what to do .... or atleast have a rough idea.... and will do so if I have to with the Camaro.

However this is not my point. What I want to get out of a car manufacturer is why? Why should Canadians have to pay close to 50% after taxes in some cases for the same car!!! We shouldn't have to go south and deal with all the grief at Canada customs and all the other paperowork, not to mention wait times and everything. We should be able to walk into a dealer locally, pick a car and walk out.

What im looking for is an explanation or reassurance that things are changing for the better in the future.... but it doesnt look like we are going to get that unfortunately.... which is sad.... but i guess the truth.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I think there are a couple of reasons for the inflated prices.... 1) supply and demand. 2) I hate to say it, but most Canadians are pushovers. We need to send the manufacturers a message, by buying down south !!

Here's a story.... A couple of years ago I needed to change my opti spark on my "Zed", and was quoted locally $1100.00.... I called up a dealer in the states, and was quoted $275.00. Even with the exchange/shipping at the time, I saved myself $700.00.... well not really, I used that money for a true duel exhaust
Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
I am not an expert on why this happens.......

I can tell you that there once was quite a difference in the exchange rate -- today there isn't.

GM of Canada, I believe, sets the prices.

I will certainly let them know your feelings.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

I can tell you that there once was quite a difference in the exchange rate -- today there isn't.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is all I was asking for!

JAY
Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
Jay

Quote:

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I think there are a couple of reasons for the inflated prices.... 1) supply and demand. 2) I hate to say it, but most Canadians are pushovers. We need to send the manufacturers a message, by buying down south !!

Here's a story.... A couple of years ago I needed to change my opti spark on my "Zed", and was quoted locally $1100.00.... I called up a dealer in the states, and was quoted $275.00. Even with the exchange/shipping at the time, I saved myself $700.00.... well not really, I used that money for a true duel exhaust
I agree on the pushover.... but with most cars now a day being leased or financed.... its easier to be a push over than get the cash together and go to the States.... I believe the financing thing is why people primarily get "pushed over" in Canada.

JAY
Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #17
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

Thank you, once again Scott for going out on a limb to act as our voice on this issue!!
Stew Low, GM of Canada's Director of Communications was present at that "Camaro Breakfast" which GM sponsored, and you so graciously participated in, at the Toronto International Auto Show in Feb.
I had exchanged a few emails with Mr. Low in Dec. about this exact issue and took the opportunity to introduce myself to him at the show, so he could put a face to the name behind those PITA emails i sent him.
We had a good conversation and I reiterated my feelings to him about the large price differential between US and Canadian vehicles - especially with respect to the higher end vehicles such as the Corvette and CTS-V especially in light of GM voluntarily placing certain vehicles on the "non-admissable " list for importation into Canada.
In September '07, virtually all '08 GM vehicles were deemed "inadmissable" into Canada based on a new Canadian requirement to have an "electronic immobilizer' installed on all '08 Canadian-spec vehicles manufactured after Sept. 1. 07.
Interestingly enough, that "immobilizer" roadblock was for some reason, voluntarily lifted by GM in Dec. '07, leaving the Corvette as the only '08 US spec vehicle inadmissable" into Canada - ostensibly due to our 5 mph rear bumper regs... but a Canadian spec rear bumper pad is available... However I've been lead to understand that GM will only supply this part to an '08 Corvette having a Canadian VIN, therefore not allowing the conversion of a US-spec vehicle to Canadian standards!
At the same time, '07 Corvettes areadmissable into Canada. I do know that one of our local dealers sold 17 rear bumper pads to people who imported '07 'Vettes from the U.S. into Canada, but it appears that ain't gonna be happening on the '08 Corvettes

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
i'm new here but i love this website,, Jay asked a question, and was responded to within 24 hours, especially by a very busy man...with a guy like Scott working on this camaro, i have full confidence that this is going to be one hell of a car...keep up the great work!!
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #19
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
i'm new here but i love this website,, Jay asked a question, and was responded to within 24 hours, especially by a very busy man...with a guy like Scott working on this camaro, i have full confidence that this is going to be one hell of a car...keep up the great work!!
agreed... this car is going to be a kick ass ride for sure. I love the other muscle cars too... but the devotion the Camaro team is showing to their enthusiasts is amazing..... I can never foresee Ford or Dodge ever doing this. For that reason alone I will buy a Camaro. Its nice to know that someone somewhere actually cares about we have to say.

JAY
Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
This discussion has been ongoing in the Canadian section of the board so I won't repeat myself.
I know there are alternatives. I just recently imported a car myself from TX.
BUT I want to be able to buy my new Camaro from the local dealer and not feel like I am getting ripped off.

Thank you fbodfather for responding and helping us Canucks keep the faith.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #21
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
FWIW, my neighbour up the street lives in Florida during the winter... and was just as proud as punch this afternoon explaining to me how he saved $10G's on the purchase of a Kia Rio in Ft. Myers, rather than buying it at home here in Canada!!
How much could this vehicle have cost in the 1st place?!? Saving $10,000 for a few hours of effort doing the paperwork?!?
If this is any indication of the savings to be gleaned from cross-border shopping, then GM Canada - do right by your dealers and get your head on straight here!!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #22
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
No question, the savings are real.
The car I brought in was a 2005 911.
I brokered it in myself and saved around $20,000.
Everything went smoothly, just follow the steps.

I hope I don't even have to consider it (importing) when the Camaro comes out. I hope GM Canada will make it so it is not worthwhile. We'll see.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #23
camarorick

We shall see, but I'm not holding my breath..... Lets just hope that the new Camaro makes it to the RIV list quickly...

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/us_ve...ssibility.html