Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
L99 Tune PCM For Less

I jusy had my car (L99) tuned by Bryan Herter. All I have to say is WOW!

This really woke my car up. I believe there is another post on the forum with dyno charts.

I was very impressed with Bryan's knowledge and passion about cars.

Check him out:

Lead Programmer of 94 and newer cars and trucks for
WWW.PCMFORLESS.COM
724-349-4431 M-F 9AM to 7PM Eastern
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
WOW, I just got off the phone with them and they are running a special for $199 (normal price $250ish)! That is less than half the price to have it done locally. However, if your not in PA you'll have to send your PCM to them by mail and they get it back into the mail in 2 days. SO it would be gone for a week maybe?

He also menitioned, if the car was in his shop, he would hook up to the transmission's PCM and firm up the shifts. Not as hard of a shift like a shift kit but more firm than stock.

When you do the order sheet, he said to use the 96-02 v6 camaro sheet(They don't have a 2010 sheet yet) and when you enter your VIN number he will know that your in a 2010 Camaro.

Good find King Mouse!
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Nice find!
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2012 Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
Sweet
Current:2012 Cadilac Escalade.2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned&loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09 Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
If he does it for you on the dyno, he can tweek anything you want, and you can see the results.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camaro70 View Post
If he does it for you on the dyno, he can tweek anything you want, and you can see the results.
That leads me into a question.
For the people that get their tunes via the mail, how does the tuner know what to do for each tune (every car is different)?

On the dyno the tuner can see your A/F ratio, etc. Then he can adjust the A/F to make the most power (safely).

Just curious. I know companies like Superchips, Hypertech, etc have been providing 1 size fits all tunes for cars for years. But those tunes are usually limited in comparison to a good dyno tune.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: Blown beast.
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ

Old 08-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
1sickta

Drives: 91 Camaro, 95 Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
That leads me into a question.
For the people that get their tunes via the mail, how does the tuner know what to do for each tune (every car is different)?

They basicly do a ball park tune that is on the "safe" side. Don't mistake a mail order tune for a dyno tune from someone who knows what they are doing.

This is a great option if you don't have the access to a good tuner and dyno.

If you do have access to a dyno you can do a before and after and even tell them the before a/f ratio and if you can data log it and send them the file.
1sickta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
King Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

What's up with that?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mouse View Post
What's up with that?
It's a joke.

Hence the smiley.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Bryan does great work....I refer my customers there when they need a dyno tune.
There are home based custom tuning options, but when it comes to a dyno tune in around the Pittsburgh area, he is the only place I will send my clients.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
King Mouse

Gotcha
Old 08-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
so, you just tell them what you have and they program you a tune??? IE:
I have a LMR intake and I want 4 million horsepower?

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
cooler2442

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
I am going to wait and see until someone can confirm if there is a counter in the Camaro PCM that goes up everytime you flash your car. If there is then basically GM can see that you flashed your car and your warranty is gone if you bring it to the dealer.

Or might just buy a second PCM and put a tune on that then put the original in the car when I need to go to the dealer.
cooler2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #15
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
The if you send in your PCM you'll only get an engine tune. He has to hook up the transmission's PCM inorder to tune up the gears. Because that PCM is inside the transmission and not easy to access like your engine PCM. That's how he explained it to me on the phone today.

And yeah, my guess would be that it's a "ball park" setting. But I would think they know what they are doing no matter what you have. Hopefully LOL
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #16
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
so, you just tell them what you have and they program you a tune??? IE:
I have a LMR intake and I want 4 million horsepower?
Yes please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
I am going to wait and see until someone can confirm if there is a counter in the Camaro PCM that goes up everytime you flash your car. If there is then basically GM can see that you flashed your car and your warranty is gone if you bring it to the dealer.

Or might just buy a second PCM and put a tune on that then put the original in the car when I need to go to the dealer.
Problem with that is that, while the stock PCM is out of the car, it won't be logging miles. When you put the stock back in, your odometer may say 30,000 miles but the PCM would say 10,000 miles (or whatever) and they know what you did.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
I am going to wait and see until someone can confirm if there is a counter in the Camaro CM that goes up everytime you flash your car. If there is then basically GM can see that you flashed your car and your warranty is gone if you bring it to the dealer.

This may be dated because the 2010 models are getting new architecture. In the past the only thing they see is that the PCM was "accessed" not why (if the tune is removed). It could be a code reader or an emissions test station, that accessed it not necessarily a tuner. Of coarse if you do it a lot then it looks suspicious.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
cooler2442

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
This may be dated because the 2010 models are getting new architecture. In the past the only thing they see is that the PCM was "accessed" not why (if the tune is removed). It could be a code reader or an emissions test station, that accessed it not necessarily a tuner. Of coarse if you do it a lot then it looks suspicious.
I own a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP and everytime you flashed your ECM a counter would go up. Even if you flashed back to stock that counter would still be there and shows how many times the ECM was flashed. That is my main concern for this car. A tuner needs to find out if there is a counter system or some type of system in the ECM that see's flashes or maybe even a dealer could tell us. Because I am 100% sure there is something since GM wants to cover there back if you blow an engine or destroy something so they can void your warranty.

Now the only way most people on the Solstice forums countered it that were afraid of loosing there warranty was by buying a second ECM and putting the tune on that while keeping the stock one stock for warranty issues. There was no miles issue on the car if you switched between ECM's, not sure how it is on this car.
cooler2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #19
pcmforless

Drives: 05 CTS-V, 2010 CGM SS/RS
A local dealer I work with had a guy grenade a LS2 motor in an 07 Trailblazer SS a few weeks back. All GM required from the dealer was a picture (yes, they had to take a picture as GM is not "online" with the car) of the screen from the SPS software (GM's dealer programming tool) that showed the CVN (calibration Verification number) which is basically a checksum value matched what GM expects it to be. No magic counters or anything like that. Since that trailblazer owner had used a handheld device on the truck a few years back the number did not match. The dealership is a "MOD FRIENDLY" dealer and they flashed it back to stock using the GM SPS and took the picture as they knew darn well that the handheld unit would not have caused the bearing failure (presumed to be lack of oil maintenance). GM is replacing the motor with no problems.

The mileage is not held in the ECM either, it is held on the cluster in your car. The ECM does keep track of your oil life meter based on miles and how you run the car, but does not store the mileage.

A spare ECM is a good alternative for sure if you were really worried and you could swap them for dealer visits. If you get a blank ECM we are able to load your VIN number and stock tune onto them via our GM SPS and then load the performance tune to it.

HP Tuners software is another good option. You can save your stock tune and we can email you a performance tune to load and you can always swap in the stock tune for those dealer visists as well. As pricey as some of the new ECM's can be, HP Tuners software is an affordable option as well.
pcmforless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #20
Darnell

Drives: 11 CTS-V Coupe, 04 Lightning
If you program back to stock before taking it into the dealer you're really not going to have any problem. There was talks of counters on the LMM Duramax computers but nothing ever really came of that. Besides unless they can prove that the damaged was caused by a programmer they cannot legally void your warranty.
Darnell is offline   Reply With Quote