Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Parking Brake Not Working Correctly

Basically I'm on a grade of not more than 5% (my driveway) car is in neutral (6-spd) and the parking brake must be pulled ALL they way up to the last couple of clicks before it works. Otherwise...pulling it up as normal, the brake doesn't hold the car and it rolls back.

Wanted to give you guys a heads up since this can cause major problems. Going to take mine in to get adjusted.

Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Basically I'm on a grade of not more than 5% (my driveway) car is in neutral (6-spd) and the parking brake must be pulled ALL they way up to the last couple of clicks before it works. Otherwise...pulling it up as normal, the brake doesn't hold the car and it rolls back.

Wanted to give you guys a heads up since this can cause major problems. Going to take mine in to get adjusted.

Same thing with mine.. You have to put it in first gear and use the PB when you turn off the car so it doesn't roll back.. I will take mine in though to see what they can do as well since it is annoying.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
It needs to be adjusted. Take it to the dealer.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Nope it doesn't need adjusted, just poor engineering. If the e-brake is up just 4-6 clicks it doesn't hold on a very slight uncline. Oh listen to this. We took it in. They checked it, said it is adjusted correctly, and the way the e-brake works is there is a small drum, yes drum brake that pivots foward when the car is pointed down hill and grips the rotor. I thought it was a poor design, I know I didn't explain it correctly, but he did say drum and piviot. I think it is such a poor design I didn't understand it because I could engineer something better. So I said you mean it grab better if it is pointed nose downhill than nose uphill, yes he said. So I said I guess I can't go to San Francisco. He also said it is the same design as the vettes and it is crap. I think it is f'in retarded and the e-brake is useless, unforntuately we M6 guys need it,

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Show-Me-SS

Drives: Saturn Sky,Camaro1SS
I stopped at a ATM one night and wasn't on a very big incline at all. I started to get out to get some cash and my friend said we're rolling. At that point I just shut the car off and got out. I had the brake up almost all the way but there was another 2 clicks left. I just make sure that it's all the way up. It is an uncomfortable feeling not trusting the e-brake. I'm curious to know if the dealer is able to fix the problem.
Show-Me-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
To make an e-brake on a car with four wheel discs, there is usually a drum inside the rotor housing that uses little shoes to engage the inner surface. It would be pretty expensive to make the rotor's pads activate when pulling the handle. It's not a new design.

Why not just crawl under the car and adjust the cable where it splits into two? It is usually just under the transmission tunnel and there should be a nut attached to a long threaded bolt that allows for slack to be taken up. You have to adjust it when the parking brake is not engaged. Just tighten it up a few turns, check the brake and repeat if necessary. Make sure the brake has at least a few clicks until it engages, though, otherwise you may inadvertently drive around dragging the inner brake shoes in the back, heating the holy snot out of them.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
To make an e-brake on a car with four wheel discs, there is usually a drum inside the rotor housing that uses little shoes to engage the inner surface. It would be pretty expensive to make the rotor's pads activate when pulling the handle. It's not a new design.

Why not just crawl under the car and adjust the cable where it splits into two? It is usually just under the transmission tunnel and there should be a nut attached to a long threaded bolt that allows for slack to be taken up. You have to adjust it when the parking brake is not engaged. Just tighten it up a few turns, check the brake and repeat if necessary. Make sure the brake has at least a few clicks until it engages, though, otherwise you may inadvertently drive around dragging the inner brake shoes in the back, heating the holy snot out of them.

John B.
+1
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:

John B.
That's it! Normal adjustment for hand brake. Probably not necessary if you give it a good tug when you put the brake on. YMMV
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
MajikMD

Drives: 2SS/RS, 6spd, IOM, blk hockey
Quote:

John B.
+2

little stuff like that I would rather do myself, anyways. E-brake cable adjustment is about as simple a car service as it gets. And the whole "little drum brake" inside the rotor is how most E-brakes have worked for years. Settle down.

I swear I think sometimes people are just looking for a reason to bash GM. It's not a design flaw or a defect. Snug the cable adjuster a tiny bit and be done with it.
MajikMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
MajikMD

Drives: 2SS/RS, 6spd, IOM, blk hockey
It frustrates me so much about certain people's attitudes that I just have to post it again. Educate yourself on how a parking brake works, then post. Geez...
MajikMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
well it's not bashing GM maybe just the idiot service manager who says it is adjusted correctly

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
obe1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM, 1995 Blown Z28
Quote:

John B.
My 1995 Z28 has a simple system that utilizes the rotor pad as the e-brake.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Mayhem Matt
IS NOW SUPERBEE MATT!!!!!

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS M6 SUPERCHRGED BUMBLEBEE
Mine does the same thing almost rolled back into my fiances truck parking on a hill the first week having it... going to take it in asap!
Ordered Bumblebee 10/15/2008Part of the Family 6/11/2009 #11423

My Bumblebee to Superbee build story...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105163
Superbee's 536hp Dyno Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7wePluPAc
Mayhem Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #14
RickF

Drives: 2SS/RS | LS3 | Black/ IO |
Not GM bashing, love my Camaro... but the parking brake issue could have killed my daughter.

Our driveway is on an incline, and we were washing the car with ebrake pulled up pretty good (but car not in gear)... she was washing the back of the car and I was washing the drivers side.... all of a sudden the brake gives out and the car starts rolling backward down the drive way, almost knocked her down... but she managed to get out of the way, and I was able to jump in the drivers door and step on the brake.

Man, if she would have been in the 3-9 age group, it could have been really bad!
RickF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Wow I'm really really glad to hear she was OK though!

Yea, I noticed this just by parking in my driveway as well - luckily it started rolling immediately - it wasn't holding.

I JUST took my car into the dealership today to have this - and a laundry list of other things - fixed.....

I'm surprised this isn't a recall/service bulletin by GM yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
Not GM bashing, love my Camaro... but the parking brake issue could have killed my daughter.

Our driveway is on an incline, and we were washing the car with ebrake pulled up pretty good (but car not in gear)... she was washing the back of the car and I was washing the drivers side.... all of a sudden the brake gives out and the car starts rolling backward down the drive way, almost knocked her down... but she managed to get out of the way, and I was able to jump in the drivers door and step on the brake.

Man, if she would have been in the 3-9 age group, it could have been really bad!
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #16
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:

John B.
I don't think the cables are adjustable. If adjustment is needed you will need to remove the rear rotors and adjust the adjuster inside.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #17
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
I took my car in for adjustment and they tightened it TOO MUCH. I was on my way home doing about 70 on the freeway and whole car started shaking. At first I thought it was the grade of the road, but no...I got out and could smell the brakes cooking.

Drove it back immediatly, had to leave it over night for them to adjust it and guess what....NOW ITS WORSE THAN BEFORE!!

Is this system that hard to figure out???
Old 11-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
RickyTheStorm

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS,04 Colorado,06 ZX6R
E-Brakes on 4 wheel discs usually suck - but mine as the same issue, not very strong of a hold. Though I have an automatic so not as huge of a deal as it is with manuals but adjusting them is just a pain in the neck.

Most likely if they say it is adjusted it is - they just suck, I have never had a 4 wheel disc brake vehicle that held very well as far as GM and Dodge goes - a friend of mine has a toyota and it sticks so I am thinking just the engineering.

Make note of it - heck take it in and have a record that they say it is adjusted - that way if ANYTHING happens you have proof that you did everything you could regarding it - just in case your own insurance tries to pull a fast one.

LS 1st Gen - Yes, it is a pain in the neck system. Some cars don't even have an adjustment! Ours do - but to get it right almost takes a couple hours as you need to adjust, test, adjust, test, adjust, test - and that includes driving to make sure that you aren't wearing the brakes while driving like you had happen.

IOM - 2SS/RS - Auto - IAP - Sunroof - Ordered 10/13 (#7 at dealer)
3000(accepted to production ): 4/19/09
3300 (scheduled for prod ): 5/11/09
3400 (broadcast ): 5/16/09
3800 (produced ): 5/22/09
4150 (invoiced ): 6/01/09
4200 (shipped ): 6/01/09
5000 (at dealer ): 6/12/09
6000 (delivery to me ): 6/12/09
RickyTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
Inuyashas_Brother

Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #20
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I would never leave a car in neutral and rely on the tiny parking brakes to hold it - especially not on an incline...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #21
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
I would never leave a car in neutral and rely on the tiny parking brakes to hold it - especially not on an incline...
I agree. The reason an automatic is "fixed" in place is the use of a parking pawl that locks the transmission. You can accomplish the same thing on a manual by putting the transmission into gear once the engine is shut off. That was the way I was always taught to leave a manual and still do to this day. It's just safer.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #22
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
I agree. The reason an automatic is "fixed" in place is the use of a parking pawl that locks the transmission. You can accomplish the same thing on a manual by putting the transmission into gear once the engine is shut off. That was the way I was always taught to leave a manual and still do to this day. It's just safer.

I really don't understand what some of these people are thinking... ALWAYS leave it in gear when parking, and you don't want to adjust the e-brake to lock up on one or two clicks ...