Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
Ziebart treatment worth it on my new Camaro?

Hi everyone.

I've ordered a Black on Black 2LT M6 w/ RS a week ago.

There are a few things I'm very interested in / curious about since I want to take care of my dream car the best I can but am not really knowledgeable about cars in general.

I noticed that the on-post dealership (I'm in the Army) offers a Ziebart treatment to the underside of newly sold vehicles and it's supposed to protect it from rust and etc, while reducing driving noise. I haven't asked how much it costs but am wondering if I should get such a treatment when I finally do get my camaro.

I'm particularly worried about the vehicle getting any rust. and although it won't be much of a problem in Alabama where I'll be when I get the vehicle, I've heard from a mechanic friend that when they salt the roads to get rid of snow and I drive over it, the salt causes the vehicle to rust and its a good idea to keep valuable cars in the garage during the winter if roads are salted.

If you have any tips/advices on keeping the camaro well maintained and looking new for a long long time, feel free to post
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
mrcowboy

Drives: SS Camaro RJT
I always thought of undercarriage treatments as scams...but what do I know? LOL
Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Waste of money for MPO but to each his own. New cars dont need it. Driving on salt does suck just garage it as much as possible and wash the underbody well when you have to drive on it congrats and welcome yo the site
Old 08-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I've seen some chevy avis rentals come from Hawaii - and the bottoms are all rusted on one year old cars. Bottoms, and exhausts. Looks NASTY!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
Hawaii you say, think about it. The Salt water, the salty air....it would be supprised not to see rust on them.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Once upon a time....

many years ago when cars weren't using galvanized metal it was pretty much a given that if you lived in areas that had high humidity, salt air or road salt you needed something like Ziebart. I had it done to my Honda Accord back then and it worked. I usually keep my cars forever (usually at least 15+ years on average). Compared to the same year Accords, mine had no rust. [It does not protect rust from the outside - only from the inside out.] They drilled small holes in hard to get places and sprayed a parafin like substance that didn't get hard or melt away. They then put small plugs in the holes. You wouldn't know where it was done unless someone pointed it out to you.
Back then the guarantee was if it rusted from the inside out they would either fix it or refund the cost.
It is not the usual dealer supplied "undercoating".
None of us know how much galvanized metal is being used on the Camaro and where , so it comes down to how much is it worth to spend the money that you may not need to spend on it.
But it does work when there is little or nothing else protecting the metal.

By the way, thanks to you and your family for serving our country and keeping us free - we appreciate your sacrifices! :flag2:

Mine at sunset

Last edited by KJS; 08-07-2009 at 09:50 PM.
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Chief Mario

Drives: 2014 ZL1, on order..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackka View Post
Hi everyone.

I've ordered a Black on Black 2LT M6 w/ RS a week ago.

There are a few things I'm very interested in / curious about since I want to take care of my dream car the best I can but am not really knowledgeable about cars in general.

I noticed that the on-post dealership (I'm in the Army) offers a Ziebart treatment to the underside of newly sold vehicles and it's supposed to protect it from rust and etc, while reducing driving noise. I haven't asked how much it costs but am wondering if I should get such a treatment when I finally do get my camaro.

I'm particularly worried about the vehicle getting any rust. and although it won't be much of a problem in Alabama where I'll be when I get the vehicle, I've heard from a mechanic friend that when they salt the roads to get rid of snow and I drive over it, the salt causes the vehicle to rust and its a good idea to keep valuable cars in the garage during the winter if roads are salted.

If you have any tips/advices on keeping the camaro well maintained and looking new for a long long time, feel free to post
Ziebart is an excellent product , my father had it done on his 4x4 and the truck is now 29 years old and still rust free, mind you he had to get some touch ups done on it in the last couple of years. As well, if you are close to the ocean (salty air) or live where they use salt on the roads, or even having your Camaro in a garage that is not properly ventilated, the cement will constantly release moisture under the car. I can tell you I am getting a Ziebart type protection on mine, that is for sure. The only drawback is that under the hood and trunk they use a wax base for rust protection, that wax base is a bit sticky and dirt will eventualy stick to the product.

Last edited by Chief Mario; 08-07-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Chief Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Yep, just like Living in the Puget Sound area. It's the wonderful world of corosion.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
My brother bought a 1968 LeMans a few years ago. Thing had the ziebart plugs in the door jamb area.

We got it home and put it on a lift to check it out further. It was just dusty. It blew me away and sold me on Ziebarting.

I sprung for on my 2LT because I'm driving it year 'round. I didn't buy the "full dealer special" ($$). I just a la carted the rustproofing.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
My brother bought a 1968 LeMans a few years ago. Thing had the ziebart plugs in the door jamb area.

We got it home and put it on a lift to check it out further. It was just dusty. It blew me away and sold me on Ziebarting.

I sprung for on my 2LT because I'm driving it year 'round. I didn't buy the "full dealer special" ($$). I just a la carted the rustproofing.
how much did it cost? did you get it done at the local ziebart shop?
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
This car does not need it as said the quality of the steel and they way GM is doing galvanization. Not only that some of that stuff could get on things or in places you don't want.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
As already mentioned, it's not really needed on new cars but if a person insists on getting it done, don't get it done at the car dealer. Go to a shop who undercoats cars for a living and have it done right.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Owners manual says DON'T DO IT. May void your GM perforation warranty.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
I wonder if I would need it in Vegas hmmm.....
Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackka View Post
how much did it cost? did you get it done at the local ziebart shop?
Yes, local Ziebart shop and $350 for undercoat and door jambs, rockers, bottom of doors, trunk, underhood, etc.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
I got the undercoating at the dealer, we have had this done on our trucks we have purchased from them they did a good job. I live in florida close to the beach so I want all the protection I can get. I think it was 350.00 but that came in a bundle with my auto butler I also purchased.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote