Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Custom paddle shifters?

Anyone else notice how lame the paddle shifter design is on this car?

The buttons are way to low for competitive driving. If I go for an upshift I end up hitting the wiper switch a lot. Its annoying. We need the shift levers exteded upward. I would throw down instant cash to be able to shift (the whole point of paddle shifters) without moving my hands.

Anybody tear into the steering wheel yet? It cant be that hard to modify the buttons.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Heres my idea, excuse my awsome paint abilities. It works though and you get the hint

It would be 1000 times easier to shift with lever like this. And no I dont want them in red, I just suck at any sort of picture doctoring and wanted you to be able to see my idea.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Umm, if you are using the paddle, isn't your hands suppose to stay on the steering wheel? So why would you hit your wiper or turn signal arms?

However the only problem i have is when i have to turn sharp and then i can't get to the paddle in good time because it's in a way off position. But when I'm in road racing mode (or having fun dodging in and out of highway traffic), I only need to turn the wheel no more than 100° either way and my hands don't need to come off the wheel. I love the shifters for this but it's not for every type of driving situation.
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshJ81 View Post
Umm, if you are using the paddle, isn't your hands suppose to stay on the steering wheel? So why would you hit your wiper or turn signal arms?
Im saying the buttons are so low down I have to slide my hands from their normal driving position to hit the switch. I dont have girl hand so ocassionally they hit the wiper when i slid my hand to shift. I can hit the buttons with my pinky but that doesnt feel natural.

Sit in an evox MR and you will see what paddle shifters should feel like.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
I would much preffer a floor shifter with a dual gate
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Anyone open up a steering wheel yet? I found some paddles that would fit the overall design of the interior. I just need to come up with a way to attach them that functions well and doesnt look ghetto.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Brown5150
#17,149

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Mod it with Ping Pong Paddles. Maybe you should have bought an M6 instead.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Steve@Subthump

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
I agree about the location. They need to be more visible. I wish there was an alternate set of buttons on the side of the shifter or something as well. This would let you shift regardless of the steering angle and also allow you to shift up without reaching up with your right hand--as I rarely have both hands on the wheel anyhow. Or maybe at minium just reverse the + and - so I could shift up with my left.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Take a look at the higher end cars(Ferrari). They have great paddle designs.

11.6 @ 113 1000 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #10
shockandawe

Drives: 2006 LeMans Blue C6 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Anyone open up a steering wheel yet? I found some paddles that would fit the overall design of the interior. I just need to come up with a way to attach them that functions well and doesnt look ghetto.
Try 5 minute epoxy
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #11
shockandawe

Drives: 2006 LeMans Blue C6 Vette
Quote:
Try 5 minute epoxy or gorilla glue.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
Bewenched

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Bewenched Send a message via MSN to Bewenched
Yea I'm waiting on something like this to come out as well. I have fairly small hands and to use the oem paddle shifters I have to basically use my little finger to reach it and keep my hands in the correct position..
Bewenched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I have gotten used to placing my hands at 3-o'clock and 9-o'clock when shifting. The only time it is a pain is on a tight corner. It would be a nice option to have extended paddles for those that prefer 2-o'clock and 10-o'clock hand positions.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Drives: 2010 camaro IOM/2SS/RS/sunroof
Send a message via AIM to eddie SS
Would definitely be an advantage to everyone to have this issue resolved. I enjoy the shifting but can't after a certain point in my steering.

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Mods I have but not installed yet: rear trunk black out, Diablosport Trinity

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C
eddie SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

I mocked up some new shifters. The shift buttons simply pop out. I then drilled 3 small holes and screwed the new paddle on top of the button with a layer of epoxy in between. I took it out for a test drive and it works pretty good. If someone designs a real one they would benifit to bend the tops of the paddles in slightly to help clear the wiper and turn signal levers. All in all it works pretty good. Im still disappointed in the overall quality of the stock button, as it seriously is like an xbox button to shift.

Here are some quick pics I snapped

Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #16
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
The Vette paddles can be pushed or pulled using your thumb either way. Honestly every time I have used paddle shifters it is fun for about 20 minutes.......put it in sport mode and let it eat you pretty much can't outshift it. I do understand transmission breaking is an advantage but straight line you pretty much can't outshift it....
Old 10-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I have gotten used to placing my hands at 3-o'clock and 9-o'clock when shifting. The only time it is a pain is on a tight corner. It would be a nice option to have extended paddles for those that prefer 2-o'clock and 10-o'clock hand positions.

The proper position for the hands is three and nine as you are doing.

Down shifting is done before turning the wheel and upshifts should only be done when you are close to straight ahead. Shifting should not be done while in the turn. Try it this way and see if the paddles are not easier to use. Let me know how it works.

Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
Quote:
I mocked up some new shifters. The shift buttons simply pop out. I then drilled 3 small holes and screwed the new paddle on top of the button with a layer of epoxy in between. I took it out for a test drive and it works pretty good. If someone designs a real one they would benifit to bend the tops of the paddles in slightly to help clear the wiper and turn signal levers. All in all it works pretty good. Im still disappointed in the overall quality of the stock button, as it seriously is like an xbox button to shift.

Lets have some more details: like what did you use for buttons and does it actually work well? I would think you had to pivot the levor so that the (factory) button is depressed. Truth be told this design SUCKS, but a redesign of the steering wheel with true paddles would be a home run. Any more info or images would be helpful.
rdono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
Take a look at the higher end cars(Ferrari). They have great paddle designs.
The paddles need to come from the column not the wheel like the Ferrari.
They are useless on a road track or making turns...
Old 12-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #20
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:

I posted a similar Idea back in November when someone started a thread about how bad the button shifters were.. glad someone actually did it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Suggestion.. For those that think the paddle shifters are too small or hard to operate get you a flat piece of aluminum about 1/8 inch thick, cut it about 4 inches long and curved so it matches the steering wheel curvature... Use 3M automotive tape or Some epoxy and attach them to the existing pads, make sure you have also offset the paddles to a comfortable shifting postition. take a dremel tool and cut off the + and - paddles. Then you will have custom Paddle shifters for the Camaro...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-26-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #21
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to StlRomAniaN
bump.

Pre-ordered on October 24, 2008

Inferno Orange Metallic 2SS/RS
Auto w/ TAPshift
=
funnnnnn, just like Megan Fox!

1100 = Preliminary Order: 10-24-09
2000 = Accepted by GM: 3-30-09
2500 = Referenced: 3-31-09
3000 = Accepted by Production Control: 4-18-09
3100 = Sequenced: 5-1-09
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5-12-09
3400 = Broadcast: 5-19-09
3800 = Produced: 5-27-09 VIN# 12768
4000 = Available to Ship: --
4200 = Shipped: --
5000 = Delivered to Dealer: --
6000 = Delivered to Customer: --
StlRomAniaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The paddles need to come from the column not the wheel like the Ferrari.
They are useless on a road track or making turns...
i agree someone needs to design paddles that are stationary mounted on the steering column and also come up with a tranny tune to make it shift instantaniously like now and a stutter rev limiter that does not just shut down the fuel but just limits rpm. when you hit the rev limmiter the way it is now you have completely lost the race and that is aggravating. yes you can use sport mode for perfect shifts but tap shift is a joke there is no need for it the way it is now.

CAI w/ADM scoop,Magnacharged 3.8 pulley,L92 ported heads,ss valves,patriot springs,yella terra rockers,Comp cam,L99 to LS3 conv.ATI super damper,Taylor plug wires,NGK plugs,ARH 1 7/8 lt headers w/Borla stingers,Elite oil catch can,trans cooler,Jannetty built Richmond 4.11 rear end,Spohn trailing arms,front Racing Brake rotors,Hawk hps pads,BMR end links,AACstyle lighting. Thanks to Shane & crew for engine work at Thunder Racing & tuner Jeoff at EPS. 501rwhp-463rwtq ++
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #23
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
i agree someone needs to design paddles that are stationary mounted on the steering column and also come up with a tranny tune to make it shift instantaniously like now and a stutter rev limiter that does not just shut down the fuel but just limits rpm. when you hit the rev limmiter the way it is now you have completely lost the race and that is aggravating. yes you can use sport mode for perfect shifts but tap shift is a joke there is no need for it the way it is now.
The paddle shifters on the Spyders is exactly what I'd like to see on this. I drive it in manual sometimes on my way home and man, turning left at a light sucks! I have my hands tied up between turning the wheel and trying to shift at the same time and it's a mess! If someone mocked up some paddle shifters I'd definitely be in line to purchase!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #24
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
We have been doing some research on this lately and have a pretty good idea of what we would need to do to make it something we would be willing to put our name on and offer it up to the masses. Our big hold up right now is having the time to take it from paper to a physical prototype.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewenched View Post
Yea I'm waiting on something like this to come out as well. I have fairly small hands and to use the oem paddle shifters I have to basically use my little finger to reach it and keep my hands in the correct position..
I have huge hands and just use my pinky to shift most of the time.
mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote