Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #15
Jc's1LE

 
Drives: 2015 SW 1LE BA NPP Recaros
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: lake mary FL
Posts: 880
Your not gonna get the Grip from the A/S amd they will NOT be great on the track they might give you a problem going around turns.
Jc's1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
Ivan915
 
Ivan915's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SW 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 33
I have Michelin A/S 3 but I do live in KC where the winters get pretty harsh and it's my DD so I need the traction of all season tires
Attached Images
 
Ivan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
rickr9504
 
rickr9504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 198
Send a message via Yahoo to rickr9504 Send a message via Skype™ to rickr9504
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
No. Just putt on the PSS Saturday and good so far. Heading to Sebring July 19-20, you should come. Any reason you went with A/S over the PSS being in Miami? I actually never had any bad experience in the rain the GYs and since the PSS give much better wet traction and I track my car I went with them.
Longevity, that is my reason for picking up the A/S 3. And a review from the consumer digest put them as good as the summer tires if not as good as the Goodyears. The price was not bad too.
__________________
rickr9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #18
rickr9504
 
rickr9504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 198
Send a message via Yahoo to rickr9504 Send a message via Skype™ to rickr9504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I would like to note that OP is NOT going with PSS'. OP is going with A/S 3s ... an all-season Michelin. An ENTIRELY different (in a not-very-good way) tire than the PSS.
These people don't agree with you.

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Revie...port-A-S-3.htm
__________________
rickr9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
rickr9504
 
rickr9504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 198
Send a message via Yahoo to rickr9504 Send a message via Skype™ to rickr9504
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
You sure screwed up a good thing with those crap tires. SMH.
Thanks, I am sure you're glad it's mine and not yours.
__________________
rickr9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
rickr9504
 
rickr9504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 198
Send a message via Yahoo to rickr9504 Send a message via Skype™ to rickr9504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc's1LE View Post
Your not gonna get the Grip from the A/S amd they will NOT be great on the track they might give you a problem going around turns.

who says i am going to track my car? I just like to look at it
__________________
rickr9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #21
camaro-ss65
 
camaro-ss65's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 113
The A/S 3 is a harder compound tire than the PSS.
A/S3 Treadwear: 500 Traction:AA Temp: A
PSS Treadwear: 300 Traction: AA Temp:A
My experience with harder compound tires is you don't get the same handling, traction and they are noisy.
__________________
2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE CRT - RS - Recaros - NPP - Sunroof - Nav
camaro-ss65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #22
69Tom
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 143
So basically, this thread has become a bunch of people chiming in about how crappy tires are they've never owned or driven on a 1LE and then being insulting about it. That's super helpful.

Rick, the tires will be fine on your car, especially if you're not tracking the car or consistantly trying to pull 1G turns, which I'm guessing you're not.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #23
Billy10mm

 
Billy10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hartsdale, NY
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Rick, the tires will be fine on your car, especially if you're not tracking the car or consistantly trying to pull 1G turns, which I'm guessing you're not.
Which begs the question; if not tracking or taking constant advantage of the handling, why buy a 1LE in the first place? It's akin to buying a pickup-truck and never putting anything in the bed, or buying a 15 passenger van for your family of 3.

The 1LE is a relatively uncompromising car. It's stiff, it tramlines, and it's slower in a straight line than a standard SS. If you don't enjoy the single benefit of those compromises, namely the excellent lateral capabilities, I don't understand why one buys the car.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #24
69Tom
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Which begs the question; if not tracking or taking constant advantage of the handling, why buy a 1LE in the first place? It's akin to buying a pickup-truck and never putting anything in the bed, or buying a 15 passenger van for your family of 3.

The 1LE is a relatively uncompromising car. It's stiff, it tramlines, and it's slower in a straight line than a standard SS. If you don't enjoy the single benefit of those compromises, namely the excellent lateral capabilities, I don't understand why one buys the car.
Really? Because we don't track the car, we shouldn't buy an exceptional handling car that looks great? Not to mention, IF I do want to track the car, I can. It's not too difficult to change tires. If it's a daily driver, I see no issue with having a set of A/S tires, especially if you're in an area where it rains a lot.

Again, he asked about specific tires and those who own them. Not for an opinion about whether the tires are right or wrong or who should or shouldn't purchase a 1LE.

Last edited by 69Tom; 06-12-2014 at 09:20 AM.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #25
SW31SS
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
So basically, this thread has become a bunch of people chiming in about how crappy tires are they've never owned or driven on a 1LE and then being insulting about it. That's super helpful.

Rick, the tires will be fine on your car, especially if you're not tracking the car or consistantly trying to pull 1G turns, which I'm guessing you're not.
This. The A/S 3s are doing fine on my car & I won't hesitate to do a track day with them. If I bought the car & I used it exclusively for the track it might be a different story but I like to drive it all year long so they work great. I know I'm not a good enough driver to notice the difference anyways.
SW31SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
So basically, this thread has become a bunch of people chiming in about how crappy tires are they've never owned or driven on a 1LE and then being insulting about it. That's super helpful.
I think what people are questioning more is the "need" for all-season ambient temperature performance in Florida. Most performance summer tires are actually quite good in the rain, so it appears that OP is stepping down further than necessary. Edit - for SW31SS in Oklahoma, it's a somewhat different situation.

The few truly street-usable tires that aren't so good in the wet - I'm talking about the ones with really huge tread blocks, minimal rain grooving, and no sipes at all - should be such obvious poor choices for areas where there can be a lot of rain that most people should understand just by looking at them.


I'd understand wanting all-seasons a little better if driving at temperatures near or below 32°F could be commonly expected, or even if a bigger slice of ride comfort was desired. But so far there has been no evidence that either of those items were considerations.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #27
Billy10mm

 
Billy10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hartsdale, NY
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Really? Because we don't track the car, we shouldn't buy an exceptional handling car that looks great? Not to mention, IF I do want to track the car, I can. It's not too difficult to change tires. If it's a daily driver, I see no issue with having a set of A/S tires, especially if you're in an area where it rains a lot.

Again, he asked about specific tires and those who own them. Not for an opinion about whether the tires are right or wrong or who should or shouldn't purchase a 1LE.
I didn't say you shouldn't buy the car, I just don't understand the logic. Like I said, it's a relatively uncompromising car. Neutering the grip all-year round is something I'm finding difficult to comprehend. For the record, mine is a daily-driver, and I drove to work today in the rain (and yesterday, and Tuesday, and according to the weather man, tomorrow too).

As far as OP not looking for our opinions, it begs the question, why did he post? Did he expect a bunch of people to respond with "Yes" and "No" and that is all? This is a subforum centered around the 1LE, a highly-focused track package that offers serious performance at a serious price (comfort, not $$). The OP just ordered tires that will effectively deep-six a large part of that performance and he, and you, don't expect opinions?

To throw another analogy at you, that's like going on a MADD forum and asking if anyone else drove home drunk last night.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #28
rickr9504
 
rickr9504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 198
Send a message via Yahoo to rickr9504 Send a message via Skype™ to rickr9504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I didn't say you shouldn't buy the car, I just don't understand the logic. Like I said, it's a relatively uncompromising car. Neutering the grip all-year round is something I'm finding difficult to comprehend. For the record, mine is a daily-driver, and I drove to work today in the rain (and yesterday, and Tuesday, and according to the weather man, tomorrow too).

As far as OP not looking for our opinions, it begs the question, why did he post? Did he expect a bunch of people to respond with "Yes" and "No" and that is all? This is a subforum centered around the 1LE, a highly-focused track package that offers serious performance at a serious price (comfort, not $$). The OP just ordered tires that will effectively deep-six a large part of that performance and he, and you, don't expect opinions?

To throw another analogy at you, that's like going on a MADD forum and asking if anyone else drove home drunk last night.
Billy, it just comes down to one thing: "Because I can".

I CAN buy the car I want.
I CAN buy the tires I want.
I CAN post in the forum and talk about what I want.

I appreciate you giving your opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. But you also have to understand other people will disagree with you, which it seems to me it is something hard for you to recognize.

So I am going to say it again why I bought the tires. Longevity, they are guaranteed 45,000 miles and I don't fee like changing tires every 8,000 miles. Why not go with the PSS that can last 30,000 miles? First the $25+tax saving per tire is nice. Second, I don't track my car and as I said it before, I just love to look at it. Now don't lie, I am sure you do that too.

I don't go to the track, I don't race, I don't drive like a maniac on the streets. I just love my car. Is it that hard to understand?

You use your car the way you want, I use mine the way I want. Again, it's my car. Deal?
__________________
rickr9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.