Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
FOR BEST FUEL ECONOMY?

Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc etc
Obviously all these oils are good enough, at least for me.

And according to the manual, 5-30w is best while 0-30w is also acceptable in cold areas.

So my question is, does either the brand or the viscosity/weight actually have meaningful differences in mpg?

Although I'm no expert, I would think on common sense that 0-30w would give me better mileage, at least technically.

So why does the manual recommend 5-30w?

What combination of brand and grade should I use from a cost effective point of view? All I want is a decent oil that is not overpriced and will give me the best mpg.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #2
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
it doesn't really matter between those three you won't see a difference in mpg's but maybe in other areas

and you should only uses lower weight oil if you live somewhere that has extreme winters and only during that time. the wider the range the less actual oil is in the quart so less protection and cooling effects
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
FI4T0MCAT

Drives: 1969 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackka View Post
Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc etc
Obviously all these oils are good enough, at least for me.

And according to the manual, 5-30w is best while 0-30w is also acceptable in cold areas.

So my question is, does either the brand or the viscosity/weight actually have meaningful differences in mpg?

Although I'm no expert, I would think on common sense that 0-30w would give me better mileage, at least technically.

So why does the manual recommend 5-30w?

What combination of brand and grade should I use from a cost effective point of view? All I want is a decent oil that is not overpriced and will give me the best mpg.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36773