Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Gitschlag

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Reduced Engine Power and other issues

Ok guys.... Late last year, my 2011 2SS decided to all of a sudden do the whole "reduced engine power" thing just as I was about to get to school. I freaked out, but I was late to class so I just parked and when to class. I came back and the issue was gone. Well, fast forward to this week, and the other day it did it again... Now, since it has done that, I can barely drive a mile without it happening over and over again. I have just under 57,000 miles on my car.

Also, what just started this morning is when I put the key in the ignition and turn it, it gives a bad screeching (and/or grinding) noise, and before the engine does reduced power it randomly makes a whirring noise. This is unbelievably frustrating, and I'm afraid if I take it in to the Chevy dealership they'll try to bend me over the barrel... Have not gone to get any codes read yet, but if the car will grant me the ability to drive over to our autozone I'm gonna try and get that done tomorrow. Has anyone else had this same issue with the same symptoms? I'm not sure where to turn...
Gitschlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM   #2
Gitschlag

Ok, little update, and perhaps this will help. I removed the air intake elbow so I could check out the throttle, and I noticed it was not closed all the way. I could push on the bottom and it would move back almost 3/4 of an inch or so. And the whirring/grinding noise I had been hearing was apparently the throttle as well. When I start up my car, it is like it gets stuck and just rattles. I took a video of it happening, so if I can figure out how to post that for y'all I shall!
Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM   #3
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you are still stock you have the 100k powertrain warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them sort it out. Is it running rough when you get the Check engine light?

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings,Forgestar F14's 20x9/11,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller, Magnaflow Resonated X Pipe.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #4
Gitschlag

It doesn't run rough until the REP warning comes on. Then it feels like the engine is gonna explode it is shaking so much. The throttle is covered under warranty? I only ask because I had looked this issue up before and I thought I had read it was not included under the power train warranty.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM   #5
bkscott

At this point you don't know if that is truly the problem. If you really suspect the TB pull it and clean it. Or better yet see if you can find someone to swap it out with to see if that corrects the problem.

That is the STOCK TB correct? I had a similar problem, but I had a VMAX at the time. I pulled it and put the stock one back on and that fixed the issue.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings,Forgestar F14's 20x9/11,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller, Magnaflow Resonated X Pipe.

Old Yesterday, 12:51 AM   #6
j.curt

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 6 Spd Manual
If you read my post, my throttle body does the same thing as yours. I have the Vmax TB. I am assuming it is not normal for the TB to be like that. The research I have done says it is the throttle position sensor. I ordered one and it should be here this weekend. Hopefully that fixes the problem.
Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM   #7
bkscott

I sent mine back and the reworked it and I have had it on the car for the last 20k with no problems. Try to get it scanned and see what codes if any show up. Wish you were closer, as I have a stock TB I could let you try.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM   #8
j.curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
I sent mine back and the reworked it and I have had it on the car for the last 20k with no problems. Try to get it scanned and see what codes if any show up. Wish you were closer, as I have a stock TB I could let you try.
Thanks. 9 months ago I was living down the road in McKinney.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM   #9
Gitschlag

Good stuff! Thanks fellas, I'll keep y'all updated!
Old Yesterday, 01:10 AM   #10
j.curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitschlag View Post
Good stuff! Thanks fellas, I'll keep y'all updated!
Same here, I will let you know of it is the TPS. Sounds like out TB's are doing the same thing. I also sent an email to the people I bought my VMAX TB from to see what they say.
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #11
j.curt

OP....any updates? My TPS came in today but it was the wrong part. I just ordered a stock TB that should be in Saturday and I will send an update if that fixes the problem.
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #12
TexasFright

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS, 2013 Acura ILX
Reduced engine power is on the list of things mine keeps pulling. Seems from researching it could be caused by a number of things but is usually related to throttle body components but I seen a long list of what could cause it. Bad connection somewhere to something, throttle body issues, app sensor, misfire caused by coil pack, plug, wire etc etc
TexasFright is offline   Reply With Quote