Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
WiredAVS

Drives: '13 Cadillac ATS '14 Camaro 1LE
Holley Covers and Catch Can

Ok....I've tried searching and have come up with a lot of info but nothing to help aid here....

I'm running into an issue with excessive oil in the catch can after installing the Holley rocker covers. Im using the Original Elite Catch Can two port with no check valves. I spoke with a few different individuals about the setup Including Elite and pretty much got the same opinions with the whipple installation.

A 10 mile trip will fill the can to the half way mark! Im coming from the driver back port of the cover to the top of the can and the side of the can to the blower.

On the passenger side I've tried a couple of different setups along with the catch can on the drivers side.

I've tried:
-Keeping the oil fill cap and routing the passenger port to the intake tube
-Using the 1LE separator(removes oil fill cap and routes to intake tube) and blocking the passenger port on cover
-Installing an additional catch can between the passenger port and intake tube

so far all have yielded the same result with the only exception being I trapped oil on the passenger side when I installed a catch can as well. Only a tiny bit.

Im not a big fan of using an open breather on the passenger cover so I'm looking for options.

Im wondering if the holes in the baffle of the holley's are getting hammered by oil slung off the rockers and filling the baffle causing the oil to be sucked into the can. I have removed the covers and inspected them side by side. The passenger side baffle is pretty spot on to the factory covers. The holes are nearly in the same spot. Also the Holley baffles are nearly identical to each other as well. However on the driver side there is a quite a bit of difference. Ive included driver side pictures.

Before I swapped the covers I did make the same 10 mile trip with catch can installed and did not get any oil. I drive pretty much the same all the time so thats not a factor. If I empty the can and make the run it will come back with oil in the can. Something is not right.

Im going to put the factory cover back on the driverside and see if i get any oil in the can.

As you can see the main inlet hole on the baffle is off. On the factory cover the hole is over a hump in the head that could possibly help shield oil from flowing into the hole. On the Holley the hole is directly between two pushrods. Really don't know how oil flows inside the head so I could be way off here.

Factory inlet

Holley inlet. Also notice the slots at the bottom. These are present on both of the baffles on the passenger side, the Holley and the factory. However it's not on the driverside factory.

This is the only other hole of the factory driver cover besides the larger opening. It is near the port side of the cover.

Holley port side. Again the two slots. I'm sure they are for draining oil that gets caught in the baffle. But why none on the factory driver?

Factory port. This is the one everyone says to drill out.

Holley wide open.

Any ideas?

ePhone

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....

Last edited by WiredAVS; 06-15-2014 at 07:45 PM.
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE BRM
Ive got Holleys on mine with no issues but im not force inducted.
Blownhotrodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Holley rocker covers here but an RX single checked catch can. Routing as follows per SLP.

Air tube post MAF to pass rocker cover. Valley cover blocked. Driver rocker cover to RX single cc. CC to SLP blower vac port.

I get a few drops of oil and some condensate at each drain. Usually after a fill up of corn.

No issues. 10 psi boost and a few pulls each 50 mile drive.

As you discovered, the OEM covers barely breath at all. Need to be drilled out for most boosted apps or a breather on the rocker to prevent crankcase overpressure. I run a checked Metco breather from JRE that lets overpressure vent but no air in via the breather.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
WiredAVS

Broke, your check valve is inline with the fitting going to the blower?

ePhone

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....
Old 06-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

I'd have to look tomorrow but it is in one of the the catch can fittings allowing the SC vac port to draw air in. I can't remember if it is on the SC side or the rocker cover side, not that it would matter.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
WiredAVS

What I'm wondering is if the check valve could possibly be slowing down the amount of vac?

I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and pick some brains

ePhone

Last edited by WiredAVS; 06-16-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
WiredAVS

Pulled the holley, put back on the factory cover on the Driverside, and drove the 10 mile trip.

After reaching norm temps, hammered down on it a few times and replicated my normal driving habits.

Got back and checked the can. Only maybe a teaspoon of oil in the can. Crap.......

Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
WiredAVS

i just stumbled across this as well! This is from GM Tech Bulletin 01-06-01-011h
Might be on to something here.

photo taken from here :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=85

Full read:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=valley+pcv
Attached Images

Last edited by WiredAVS; 06-16-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
simon.w

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Have you done a leak down test? Same issue I had ... three broken ringlands.
732rwhp 644 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley H-Beam Rods, Competition Valve Grind, Custom CMS Grind Comp Cam, Comp Cams Valve Springs, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, 1" 7/8 Stainless LT Headers & 3" Exhaust, ADM Twin Fuel Pump Kit, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, Cold Air Inductions Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
WiredAVS

I have not nor do I think a leak down is needed at all. 3300 miles car runs strong, 100 miles on blower install, tuned and built by Lethal Racing.

Car wasn't having any drive ability issues.No smoking or anything to that nature.

Really no issues using the factory covers with the blower either. I reconfirmed that this morning by swapping them back out. Just wanted to add a little dress up to the engine bay and the Holley fit the bill.

After looking at where the vapor inlet is on the Holley and where it is in relation to the valve train I strongly believe that oil is just slinging into the hole and has no choice but to go to the can.

With the GM bulletin posted above, it kind of goes along the lines of what I was thinking.

I do appreciate the help.

ePhone

Old 06-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Holley covers on my car. No issues.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
The whipple pulls such a strong vacuum that it pulls all and any oil mist threw a unmetered catch can system along with the holly covers that have the much freer flowing vacuum port.
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
WiredAVS

update:
After numerous emails, text, and calls, I have finally figured out how to fix my issue with the Holley Valve Covers.

I would like to thank Nick@Lethal Racing, Tyler@JDP Motorsports, and Tracey@Rev eXtreme(RX) for offering their knowledge about the PCV system. I have learned a lot about proper evacuation of harmful vapors. With a combined gathering of information from you guys, I was able to come up with a solution that seems to be working for my application.

I currently have put over 100 miles of testing using the holley covers and my re-routing of the PCV system. I'm glad to say I have what I call a normal amount of oil in my catch can. Actually about the same amount that I was collecting with the factory GM covers in place after the whipple install.

My setup:
(2) Elite Catch Cans - Single Outlet original versions without check valves.

Dirty Side
-Valley Cover port (LS3) to Inlet of 1st CC
-Outlet of CC to Vac of Whipple post Throttle Body (Glass Inline Filter *not permanent)

Clean Side
-Driver Valve Cover to Passenger VC tee'd to Inlet of 2nd CC (yes Inlet. This allows filtering of the VC mist when it goes from drawing air to relieving air, usually under/after WOT)
-Outlet of CC to Intake Tube post MAF (Glass Inline Filter *not permanent)

I'm using the glass filters to monitor reversion from the VC's as well checking the effectiveness of the CC's. So far all seem to be doing as planned. Time will tell.

I could eliminate a catch can by using the Elite/RX/Factory 1LE separator. This would allow me to connect the VC's directly together making a cleaner install and the 1LE separator to handle the air in/and trap the oil dropping it back into the VC on relief.

I'm not seeing any signs of excessive crankcase pressure and no smoke coming from the back under hard throttle. Again time will tell but I think I'm good for now......that is until Nick drops a pulley!!!

Thanks to all that helped!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Silver2S

Drives: 2012 Silver Camaro SS 2SS
I had the same issue on my LS2 SS Trailblazer that was cammed. The catch can was filling up half way every 220 miles. Found out that the driver side valve cover was changed to an updated version. Looks just like yours. After I installed this new valve cover there was barely anything in the catch can. I would stick with the stock valve cover until Holley fixes their issue.
Silver2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
WiredAVS

Silver2S,
I have submitted emails with pics and such to Holley and they have forwarded that info to the engineers. The engineers have contacted me and Holley is looking into the information that I have provided them.

Some builds have issues with the Holley covers, some don't. I knew going in that I might have issues.

Keeping the holleys on for now.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #16
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Wired...

As an experiment with my Holley covers I popped the pintle out of the check valve on my Rx can making it free flowing.

As routed before MAF tube to pass rocker, valley capped. Drivers rocker cover to inlet of CC, outlet of CC to SLP SC vac port.

The check valve was restricting flow before, without it I pulled 1.5 oz of oil after 50 miles and one 60-105 WOT pull. Definitely sucking it out the rocker cover. Before I got a few drops of oil per tank, mostly condensate.

Rerouted the lines tonight similar to yours but since I only have one CC, I had a cheapo plastic oil separator that I put on the MAF tube connection to check for oil from reversion. There was no evidence of oil in the MAF tube or 3/8 line prior though.

As it is connected now - MAF tube to separator to a tee that connects to both rocker covers.
Valley cover to center of Rx CC, outlet of CC to SLP SC vac port.

Pretty sure that where the vac port on the SLP direct drive SC is located that even when in boost it is a vacuum source. It's above the rotors and after the bypass as far as I can tell. Wish I could find an exploded view of the internals though.

It'll be the weekend before I can test it. Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
WiredAVS

Interesting Broke,

The only thing I would like to do is open up the port on the valley cover. It is restricted like the driver factory valve cover. Next time we are in the area, Im going to pull it and replace it with a AN fitting. It will be trial and error again.

But so far everything seems to be doing great on the re-route. Catching what i consider normal amounts like before.

According to whipple, the vac port on their unit pulls around the same amount of vac as the factory system, and goes a little less vac at boost.

Let me know what you find out on yours this weekend.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
pdiddy

Drives: 2011 2SS
I am going to ask a question pertaining to this on here sorry if I thread jack a little, I am currently running a single valve rx can in between my driver side valve cover and snout of the blower then I have the rx 1le style sperator on my oil fill with the other line going over to the nipple on my intake tube. my question is at what point do people start opening up the hole on the valve cover so you simply just pull the cover off and drill the hold out bigger or is there more to it I plan to cam and up my boost some so want to be sure I have proper evac in place
2011 2SS JBA LONG TUBE, JBA HIGH FLOW CATS AND 3" EXHAUST, CAI CAI, 3.91 GEARS 18" cf5 NITTO NT555R, Bmr TRAILING ARMS, AND BUSHINGS, DYNO TUNED AT 408 RWHP/ ADDED A MAGGIE WITH 3.6 PULLEY ZL1 PUMP FIC 63# injectors ADM FPCM DYNO TUNED AT 570 RWHP AND 550 RWTQ ADDDED CUSTOM CAM FROM TICK AND OD COG WITH 3.8 FRONT MAKING 650RWHP AT 10psi
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredAVS View Post
Interesting Broke,

The only thing I would like to do is open up the port on the valley cover. It is restricted like the driver factory valve cover. Next time we are in the area, Im going to pull it and replace it with a AN fitting. It will be trial and error again.

But so far everything seems to be doing great on the re-route. Catching what i consider normal amounts like before.

According to whipple, the vac port on their unit pulls around the same amount of vac as the factory system, and goes a little less vac at boost.

Let me know what you find out on yours this weekend.
I'll admit I was huffing & puffing all the ports and noticed more restriction on the valley cover as well. I'll see what's what next time I have it out for a run.

I do have a checked relief breather on the oil filler so overpressuring the crankcase won't be an issue anyway.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #20
WiredAVS

pDiddy, On the factory cover, you simply drill out the restricter in the port. Just be cautious when drilling the port not to drill into the oil baffle on the inside of the cover. You can see the restriction in the port on the photos above. I would pull the cover to drill it, as the covers are very easy to remove.

Tracey at RX recommends drilling it out with the addition of Forced Induction.

Iam Broke, I did the same thing. I found that the valley cover had about the same restriction as the factory valve cover did. I should of put a vacuum gauge on it but didn't have one handy. But the huffing & puffing method seemed to be around the same, lol. I figured if I was doing okay on the factory covers, then by going to the valley cover, it should yield about the same evac.

The only thing I'm not running is a relief breather, so i am constantly checking on seals and such. I will be upping the boost shortly and that might require a breather.

ePhone

Last edited by WiredAVS; 06-23-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 AM   #21
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

I opted for the modified Metco from JRE. It has a check valve in it so it relieves pressure only if needed preventing any air in to skew the fueling. I've seen another (cheaper) one lately, but the mfg. escapes me.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #22
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Follow up...

2 WOT 10 psi pulls in 3rd to redline in a 50 mile cruise today yielded <1/2 tsp in the CC. No oil from reversion in the separator at the intake tube.

I'm going to leave it breathing this way, similar to Wired's setup.