Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Interior Parts & Accessories

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #155
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010 2LT RY, 2014 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan@AACstyle.com View Post
Our kits do not include a switch but you can use a switch to power the foot well lights on/off while you are driving the car. You can run the strip so it is on when the car is on and then just flip the switch to the "off" position when you are driving.
Oh ok, I didn't know they did not include the switch from looking at some of the instal photos. Thanks.

Hypertech | Airaid | JBA Exhaust | RX Catch Can/CNC TB/Black Ice-Olator | Ported Intake/Heads | 1LE Brembos | F14's | RS Headlights | ZL1 Grille
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #156
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
Oh ok, I didn't know they did not include the switch from looking at some of the instal photos. Thanks.
Not saying you need to use it, but there does seem to be some inconsistency here.

Straight from the website:

"Kit Includes:
-Two 15" or 12" Automotive Grade Waterproof SMD strips.
-Self-adhesive tape for easy installation.
-Toggle Switch (to control on/off power from inside the vehicle)
Available in White, Blue, Green, Red, UV and Amber"

Personally if I had ordered them and the switch didn't come I would not be happy. The site clearly states a toggle switch is included.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #157
Jonathan@AACstyle.com

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriCo84 View Post
Not saying you need to use it, but there does seem to be some inconsistency here.

Straight from the website:

"Kit Includes:
-Two 15" or 12" Automotive Grade Waterproof SMD strips.
-Self-adhesive tape for easy installation.
-Toggle Switch (to control on/off power from inside the vehicle)
Available in White, Blue, Green, Red, UV and Amber"

Personally if I had ordered them and the switch didn't come I would not be happy. The site clearly states a toggle switch is included.
No you are correct; that was my mistake. The foot well lights do come with a toggle switch.

I apologize if there was any confusion.
Jonathan@AACstyle.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #158
BriCo84

Ok so I am still a little confused about installation. Can someone help me? This is what I want for the footwell lighting.

Always come on with the domelight (controlled by the roof dome light switch, so even when the doors open if the switch is off, i want the footwells off too)

Then an on/off switch that activates ONLY when the headlights are on too. So basically it is always on with the dome light and/or the headlights, but with the option to turn them off.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #159
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriCo84 View Post
Ok so I am still a little confused about installation. Can someone help me? This is what I want for the footwell lighting.

Always come on with the domelight (controlled by the roof dome light switch, so even when the doors open if the switch is off, i want the footwells off too)

Then an on/off switch that activates ONLY when the headlights are on too. So basically it is always on with the dome light and/or the headlights, but with the option to turn them off.
No, its really an either-or situation. You can install using the switch and turn them on and off as you please or you can use the dome light instructions and wire them to come on and off with the dome light.

If you wanted to use both you could connect to the dome light then add the switch but the power from the switch would backfeed causing the dome light to come on when the switch is pressed so there would need to be a diode installed to stop the current backflow.
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #160
BriCo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
No, its really an either-or situation. You can install using the switch and turn them on and off as you please or you can use the dome light instructions and wire them to come on and off with the dome light.

If you wanted to use both you could connect to the dome light then add the switch but the power from the switch would backfeed causing the dome light to come on when the switch is pressed so there would need to be a diode installed to stop the current backflow.
That sounds complicated. I wish someone would come up with an easy solution like fieldgoal did with the drl harness. The setup I just described is how my drls are. They come on anytime the headlights are on unless I turn them off manually.

If someone has a a wiring solution for this I would be willing to shell out a few bones for it

-Sent via my R2D2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #161
Alain

Drives: 2010 SS, RS, Manual. 2012 F150, FX4
how much are the LED strips?? i bought these light tubes (both for my footwells and for the after burners) and they BOTH cracked like a piece of candy !!
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #162
iFast

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS and '01 Bullitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan@AACstyle.com View Post
No you are correct; that was my mistake. The foot well lights do come with a toggle switch.

I apologize if there was any confusion.
I can confirm that the footwell lighting DOES come with a switch!!! However, for my application I did not use it since I wired it to the dome light. The guys over at AAC are a good group of guys with great customer service. Thanks guys for all your help!

2001 DHG Bullitt Mustang GT. 5.0 Shortblock. Patriot cams and heads. Flowmaster Axle-Back, Magnaflow X-Pipe. Eibach sportline lowering springs. Steeda Tri-ax. 03-04 Cobra Front Fascia. 18'' XXR 521s w/ Sumitomo HTR Z IIs.

2007 Kawasaki ZX-10R. Akrapovic CF Slip-ons. K&N filter. 520 conversion w/ -1/+2 sprockets. Speedo-healer. Lockhart-Phillips fi controller. Pirelli DCIIIs.
iFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #163
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010 2LT RY, 2014 Silverado
Ok, thats why I thought... I want it to come on with the car, but I don't want it to stay on all the time, so thats why I wanted to make sure there was a switch to toggle it when Im driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFast View Post
I can confirm that the footwell lighting DOES come with a switch!!! However, for my application I did not use it since I wired it to the dome light. The guys over at AAC are a good group of guys with great customer service. Thanks guys for all your help!

Hypertech | Airaid | JBA Exhaust | RX Catch Can/CNC TB/Black Ice-Olator | Ported Intake/Heads | 1LE Brembos | F14's | RS Headlights | ZL1 Grille
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #164
iFast

I actually just ordered the ABL (aqua) colored SMD strips from AAC today. Right now I have cool white wired to the dome light, however, my ABL footwell lighting will be wired to a switch which will draw its 12V power from an ignition source (prob tap into a fuse like I did with my radar detector) so they will be on when the ignition is on. When I turn off the ignition the ABL lighting will turn off and the dome light will turn on along with the cool white footwell lighting. The only overgap with lighting will be when the ignition is on and I manually turn on my dome light/cool white footwell lighting in which case I am hoping and thinking that the cool white will be brighter than the ABL footwell lighting and appear primarily white in color. I am keeping the ABL footwell lighting on a switch that way I can turn them off all together if I do not want to drive with them on. I'll post pics once I get them in and wire them up. And BTW my dome light is cool white in color also.

2001 DHG Bullitt Mustang GT. 5.0 Shortblock. Patriot cams and heads. Flowmaster Axle-Back, Magnaflow X-Pipe. Eibach sportline lowering springs. Steeda Tri-ax. 03-04 Cobra Front Fascia. 18'' XXR 521s w/ Sumitomo HTR Z IIs.

2007 Kawasaki ZX-10R. Akrapovic CF Slip-ons. K&N filter. 520 conversion w/ -1/+2 sprockets. Speedo-healer. Lockhart-Phillips fi controller. Pirelli DCIIIs.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #165
AACstyle

Quote:
I actually just ordered the ABL (aqua) colored SMD strips from AAC today. Right now I have cool white wired to the dome light, however, my ABL footwell lighting will be wired to a switch which will draw its 12V power from an ignition source (prob tap into a fuse like I did with my radar detector) so they will be on when the ignition is on. When I turn off the ignition the ABL lighting will turn off and the dome light will turn on along with the cool white footwell lighting. The only overgap with lighting will be when the ignition is on and I manually turn on my dome light/cool white footwell lighting in which case I am hoping and thinking that the cool white will be brighter than the ABL footwell lighting and appear primarily white in color. I am keeping the ABL footwell lighting on a switch that way I can turn them off all together if I do not want to drive with them on. I'll post pics once I get them in and wire them up. And BTW my dome light is cool white in color also.
Good talking to you yesterday Zach, like I said that is a cool idea
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #166
Jonathan@AACstyle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
how much are the LED strips?? i bought these light tubes (both for my footwells and for the after burners) and they BOTH cracked like a piece of candy !!
The LED foot well LEDs are $39.50 for a pair of the 15" strips.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #167
iFast

Alright here it is. I now have cool white and aqua led strips in the footwell. The cool white is wired to the dome light which is also cool white and the aqua led strips are wired to my cupholder lights which is wired to be on when the ignition is on (like when i'm driving). The only overlap of color (both being on) is when the ignition is on and the dome light is turned on or the door is open. With the overlap, you can't tell the aqua led strip is there (which is what i wanted) so it still looks cool white (to match the dome light). While I was wiring all this stuff up I went ahead and added a cool white led to the glove box. Wired that to the cool white led strip in the passenger footwell so that it would come on when i turn on the dome light. Enjoy the pics and thanks to AAC for getting the stuff out to me so quick!

PS: Please do not think that these lights are not that bright. My camera on my phone SUCKS! Believe me, even the aqua led is plenty bright for me!
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #168
Jonathan@AACstyle.com

Quote:
Alright here it is. I now have cool white and aqua led strips in the footwell. The cool white is wired to the dome light which is also cool white and the aqua led strips are wired to my cupholder lights which is wired to be on when the ignition is on (like when i'm driving). The only overlap of color (both being on) is when the ignition is on and the dome light is turned on or the door is open. With the overlap, you can't tell the aqua led strip is there (which is what i wanted) so it still looks cool white (to match the dome light). While I was wiring all this stuff up I went ahead and added a cool white led to the glove box. Wired that to the cool white led strip in the passenger footwell so that it would come on when i turn on the dome light. Enjoy the pics and thanks to AAC for getting the stuff out to me so quick!

PS: Please do not think that these lights are not that bright. My camera on my phone SUCKS! Believe me, even the aqua led is plenty bright for me!
Thanks for posting pictures! Looks great!

Tags
aac, ambient, ccfl, footwell, led, lighting