Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

3rd Generation Camaros 1982-1992 Camaros

Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
PootieTang

Drives: His and Hers Volvo 850 Turbos
Getting Back Into It

Hello everyone, first post here

Looking to get into a 3rd gen Camaro Z28/IROC. It will be my daily driver (a short 16 miles round trip) and a project car for myself and 11 year old son.

Here's a list of what features I am hoping to have with the finished project car:

1. T-Tops
2. 87-IROC look- hood louvers, black-tape headlight recesses (ie. not painted the same as the body color), 87 IROC-appropriate decals, 5-point "double-leg" sport rims.
3. Air bags and rear shoulder belts
4. 5.7L automatic
5. No squeaks
6. Daily Driver, four-passenger seating

From my pre-post research over the past few weeks, I know this is a tall order, especially items 1 and 5 together.

I am confident in my ability to meet these objectives as I have been customizing my own cars for over 20 years. It may take me a while and will piss my wife off plenty but I think the end-result car will be an absolute pleasure to drive.

Money is an issue and I hoping to purchase a drivable, clean car for between $3K-$4K.

I am coming up with a plan. Apparently I am limited by the following:

1. Air Bags
2. Shoulder Belts

This limits me to 1990-1992 as I would not want to attempt to "add-in" an airbag system to an older model.

As far as what I have read here, the 1992 offers superioir chassis rigidity which should help with t-tops and squeaks.

My plan is to add all available aftermarket chassis stiffening and then, if needed, a custom roll-bar that accommodates easy entry and allows for rear seat use. I am not sure if this is possible. Maybe someone here knows about this.

Anyway, I am excited to be here and am looking forward to this project.

Best Regards,

Steven
PootieTang is offline   Reply With Quote