Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #154
DandDC09
 
DandDC09's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 Malibu
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 479
I definitely won't be going in for this one!

My FOB is just fine!
__________________
DandDC09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #155
abaucom21
 
Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa Ontario
Posts: 682
Agree, go with the fastest simplest solution for Camaro's on order or waiting on dealer lots for delivery. Just a temporary fix until GM can come up with a better solution for the current +500,000 already on the road.
GM needs to rethink the 'quick fix' for 1/2 million Camaro's already on the road. If this was really a safety issue, why aren't we being warned not to drive our autos?
I like the flip-key because it is less bulky in my pocket and an exposed key more likely put a hole in your skinny jeans pants pocket (LOL).
Sad but strangely funny: For the last six weeks my dealership has been sending me letters and emails weekly wanting me to trade my low mileage 2011 (they need more quality used cars to sell). Offering many $1,000s in incentives / rebates to trade my 2011 low mileage Camaro on anything new GM. This six week snail mail & email campaign to trade my Camaro ends last day of June. Both sad & funny that if I went to my dealership tomorrow, took advantage of $1000's in savings on a new 2014 Camaro the dealership could not currently resale my slightly used 2011 they say they want or let me drive off the lot in a factory new 2014 Camaro.
Shame on GM for holding back delivery of Camaro's ordered. Shame on GM for this half-ass fix (a fob with a flip key button that no longer works!). Shame that GM has not only pissed off the Camaro community with this half ass effort to fix a possible issue but left their dealerships with money tied up in inventory they can not sell.
Going to take a long time before the current wave of auto recalls gets worked out that GM started and now affecting the global auto industry. My guess, ten years from now, some of the current GM recalls will be viewed as stupid and as unwarranted as the 1980s Audi 5000 acceleration issues that history has proven was unwarranted.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #156
DefiantXSoldier
 
Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS/1LE NPP Recaros
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 312
Update from my dealership...

Tomorrow I will be picking up my 2014 2SS/RS/1LE that was ordered a long time ago and has been held for ransom at the dealership since the day I signed my contract on 6/17. Before I signed my contract and traded in my 2010 2SS/RS I told them that I absolutely do not want the switchblade keys swapped out for the recall key.

I talked to them today and have gotten the okay from their GM rep to allow me to pick up my car tomorrow with 3-4 sets of keys. The 2 original switchblade keys (fobs attached) and 1 or 2 of the recall keys with it's own fob. I will be signing a paper as well acknowledging that there is a recall on the car and that I will be choosing to not participate. But to cover their ass which is fine by me, they will be giving me the recall key as well.

This post is to inform any other new owner out there that there is a way to keep your original keys. I will post back tomorrow with proof to silence the doubters.
DefiantXSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #157
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE ☪
 
TommyTheCat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSTRSS View Post
Here's what the ugly fix looks like

......

......


:l aughabove:



As if I would take my car to a dealer to downgrade! My knee comes nowhere near the key no matter how hard I try



TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #158
Akalopi
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: online
Posts: 8
my dealer told me they have shipped my key for the car but the dealership doesn't even know its a new key they keep saying its a new ignition switch... It's kind of disappointing how much gm isn't letting there dealers know and they have no clue where its being shipped from or have a date when its going to arrive.....honestly gm needs to compensate us for this TOTAL BS or at least the dealers compensate us for holding our baby's hostage!
Akalopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #159
Chris1SS1LE
 
Chris1SS1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 526
I sent an email to roger at emblempros to design a inlay that would make the hacked key fob an excellent place to install a milled inlay that has 1LE or ZL1 or Camaro. Think about it, if even 10 percent get the recall and you could buy a custom inlay to fill the void it would be a good money maker.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #160
Mean Green Z28

 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
I sent an email to roger at emblempros to design a inlay that would make the hacked key fob an excellent place to install a milled inlay that has 1LE or ZL1 or Camaro. Think about it, if even 10 percent get the recall and you could buy a custom inlay to fill the void it would be a good money maker.
That's genious! i'm sure they can do custom inlays
__________________
2010 2SS - CAI Intake, ADM Scoop, RotoFab Washer relo. LT Headers and off-road pipes, X-pipe, Muffler Deletes, ZL1 Spoiler, Technostalgia Tail-lights
'98 T/A (Sold) - Forged 6.0ltr, MS3, P&P'd Heads/Valves, 90MM FAST/TB, Headers, 3" Y-pipe, 4" Mufflex Catback. Koni Adjustables w/GC coilovers (550/175), Strano Sway Bars
'94 Z28 (Sold) ... LS1 swap (basically same setup as the T/A), TH350/3500 stall ... swapped it all into the T/A
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #161
14sw1le
 
14sw1le's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 summit white 2SS/RS/1le
Join Date: May 2014
Location: lehigh valley, PA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantXSoldier View Post
Update from my dealership...

Tomorrow I will be picking up my 2014 2SS/RS/1LE that was ordered a long time ago and has been held for ransom at the dealership since the day I signed my contract on 6/17. Before I signed my contract and traded in my 2010 2SS/RS I told them that I absolutely do not want the switchblade keys swapped out for the recall key.

I talked to them today and have gotten the okay from their GM rep to allow me to pick up my car tomorrow with 3-4 sets of keys. The 2 original switchblade keys (fobs attached) and 1 or 2 of the recall keys with it's own fob. I will be signing a paper as well acknowledging that there is a recall on the car and that I will be choosing to not participate. But to cover their ass which is fine by me, they will be giving me the recall key as well.

This post is to inform any other new owner out there that there is a way to keep your original keys. I will post back tomorrow with proof to silence the doubters.


YES !!! please show some proof. I cant wait to finally be able to pick up my car and be done with all of this BS. I just wanna go fast !!! credit ricky bobby
14sw1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #162
Jonquez
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 4
Dealership just called me. He said the service department got the memo yesterday from GM and they went ahead and ordered everything, Hopefully just a few more days.
Sad that I can't go see transformers 4 in my new camaro, but hopefully it'll be worth the wait.
Jonquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #163
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06, a Shelby, a Porsche, a Ram
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,599
Another pic of how the new Camaro key would look like. They showed me at dealership this morning during my service. They cut the old flipkey off and the chromebutton nub stays intact so even if you push it, it won't flip. Basically there remains that empty rectangular slot where the flipkey used to occupy. I'm not switching mine out for this halfcrap job.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Just a few toys... and from a Z51 to the Z06!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #164
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Another pic of how the new Camaro key would look like. They showed me at dealership this morning during my service. They cut the old flipkey off and the chromebutton nub stays intact so even if you push it, it won't flip. Basically there remains that empty rectangular slot where the flipkey used to occupy. I'm not switching mine out for this halfcrap job.
I wonder if you can ask them to not disable the flip part, I want to use it for a nail file or a Allen wrench for my CAI cover.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #165
RobertRS

 
RobertRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I wonder if you can ask them to not disable the flip part, I want to use it for a nail file or a Allen wrench for my CAI cover.
Sorry ...too dangerous. It could accidently dislodge while hanging from the key and cause an accident.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #166
Comwyn
 
Comwyn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3
I am very disappointed in GM's proposed fix for the ignition problem. Their modification of the key fob is tacky and will not be convenient to use. I wouldn't buy a car with a key hanging from a fob like this. My first instinct is to not take my Camaro keys in to get modified, however, I have experienced the ignition issue in my Camaro. I was driving down a highway late at night when my Camaro shut off suddenly. It was a dangerous situation and I'm glad no one was behind me. It is important they fix this issue, but I think their proposed remedy is a cheap, tacky fix and can't be the only way to address this issue. I think their proposed fix might possibly devalue the vehicles because I'm not sure most drivers want a key set up like this. Has anyone heard of any possible lawsuits to push GM to find a better fix to this issue? I've been very happy with my 2011 Camaro since I bought it new in September 2010, however after seeing how GM has dragged their feet on this ignition problem and now try to rush a fix with a tacky cheap solution, this will probably be my last GM purchase.
Comwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #167
RobertRS

 
RobertRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comwyn View Post
I was driving down a highway late at night when my Camaro shut off suddenly. It was a dangerous situation and I'm glad no one was behind me.

How exactly did your Camaro just suddenly shut off???? The key got kicked while driving down the highway??
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:37 AM   #168
Comwyn
 
Comwyn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
How exactly did your Camaro just suddenly shut off???? The key got kicked while driving down the highway??
I think either my knee bumped the key or it was the weight of the other keys on my ring, I wasn't really sure. It took me off guard when it happened and it was just like I had shut my car off while driving. I was surprised how fast the car slowed down. I put on my flashers, coasted to the side of the road, then restarted my car. I think it was probably my knee as it often hits the key. I've adjusted my seat and steering, but it seems the most comfortable position always puts my knee near the key.
Comwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:44 AM   #169
RobertRS

 
RobertRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comwyn View Post
I think either my knee bumped the key or it was the weight of the other keys on my ring, I wasn't really sure. It took me off guard when it happened and it was just like I had shut my car off while driving. I was surprised how fast the car slowed down. I put on my flashers, coasted to the side of the road, then restarted my car. I think it was probably my knee as it often hits the key. I've adjusted my seat and steering, but it seems the most comfortable position always puts my knee near the key.
Wow! It is a good thing that no one was hurt. My knees and seat position put me nowhere near hitting the keys. My wife doesn't have an issue either. Makes me wonder how many drivers of other vehicles have had an issue hitting the keys and shutting down the engine. As others have suggested ,GM needs to look into designing a key cylinder that needs to be pushed inward in order to turn the key. Maybe the next models will have a feature like that.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #170
Low Saturn

 
Low Saturn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: At the bar down the street..
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comwyn View Post
I think either my knee bumped the key or it was the weight of the other keys on my ring, I wasn't really sure. It took me off guard when it happened and it was just like I had shut my car off while driving. I was surprised how fast the car slowed down. I put on my flashers, coasted to the side of the road, then restarted my car. I think it was probably my knee as it often hits the key. I've adjusted my seat and steering, but it seems the most comfortable position always puts my knee near the key.
How tall are you? How long are your legs? Just curious.

Unfortunately if you can hit the fob/key now, you can probably hit the new key being given. They didn't even use the smallest key being used in GM cars now. They seem to have gone with biggest one.
__________________
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.