Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #127
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
I'm 6'4" and my knee is 3 inches to the right and in no danger of hitting the fob. That being said, guys, it's just a key for chrissakes!
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #128
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
So now instead of having a key/fob that is impossible for my knee to make contact with, there will be a key with a fob hanging from it that can catch on your pants and turn off the car.

Awesome.

Like I've been saying, I'll keep my deadly switchblade.

yeah the solution to the cobalt/ion/g5 problem is never hang anything on your key, make sure there's no swinging weight on the key.

Camaro: we're taking a perfectly good key/fob combo and giving you a swinging weight for your key.

Sounds like they should just organize a Cobalt - Camaro key swap program and everyone will be safe
Old 06-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #129
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
yeah the solution to the cobalt/ion/g5 problem is never hang anything on your key, make sure there's no swinging weight on the key.

Camaro: we're taking a perfectly good key/fob combo and giving you a swinging weight for your key.

Sounds like they should just organize a Cobalt - Camaro key swap program and everyone will be safe
Actually the fix is to have a round hole in the middle of the key. This reduces the fulcrum effect significantly. This is the same key the Camaro is getting based on photos of keys people have already been given. The new key addresses both issues.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #130
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
My GOD!

To all of you saying "im not gonna buy a z28 or whatever because of that key."

Are you kidding me. If you got the $$ for a 75000 toy car you can afford an aftermarket KEYLESS system for a whole 500 bucks. Stop complaining. Jeesh.
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #131
SSteven

Drives: Sold 11/2015 - 2012 2SS/RS - L99
Lightbulb REQ: New key testing

When someone has the new key with separate FOB, would you try starting the car without the FOB being anywhere near the car? For example, make sure your car is disarmed and leave the FOB inside the house. Then go outside and start the car with just the key.

This test will verify if the chip is in the key or remains in the FOB. For those of us that don't want to use the factory FOB any more (i.e. aftermarket alarm), this would be very helpful info.
Sold 11/2015: 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8 (traitor...I know)
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #132
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2009 Accord EX-L V6 coupe 6 speed
If I buy a new Camaro it's obviously going to have this modification done already on any new one in stock. From my perspective every new modern car should have either a flip key or a keyless ignition push button start, from the factory.

My guess is that I won't be buying a 5th gen Camaro now, unless GM will install a push button start for me.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #133
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2009 Accord EX-L V6 coupe 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
My GOD!

To all of you saying "im not gonna buy a z28 or whatever because of that key."

Are you kidding me. If you got the $$ for a 75000 toy car you can afford an aftermarket KEYLESS system for a whole 500 bucks. Stop complaining. Jeesh.

It's the principle. GM screwed this thing up themselves one way or another. Either they should let the customer decide if they want the modification done on all brand new Camaros, or install a push button keyless start system on their dime.

In the mean time I won't buy this car. GM is screwing up customer service royally by taking away the flip key, whether or not there is a problem with hitting it with your knee.

GM needs to suffer the consequences either way, I was going to buy a Camaro, now I'm not buying any GM vehicle for the time being, and may never again.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #134
duck899

Drives: 2014 RS/SS convertible
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
It's the principle. GM screwed this thing up themselves one way or another. Either they should let the customer decide if they want the modification done on all brand new Camaros, or install a push button keyless start system on their dime.

In the mean time I won't buy this car. GM is screwing up customer service royally by taking away the flip key, whether or not there is a problem with hitting it with your knee.

GM needs to suffer the consequences either way, I was going to buy a Camaro, now I'm not buying any GM vehicle for the time being, and may never again.
Just because of a key? If you like the car then buy it. I doubt if someone will ask to see your key when they are looking at your hot rod Camaro, lol
till then, call the waambulance,
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #135
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 2014 SS sedan
I see a BLACK MARKET opening real soon for the DANGEROUS old style keys!!!!!

IBTR (in before the recall)
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #136
Arbgast

Drives: DRIVES 2014 2SS RS convertible
What would it cost to reprogram fob and put in push button start?
Arbgast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #137
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbgast View Post
What would it cost to reprogram fob and put in push button start?
Probably not even an option really, GM doesn't have a bunch of "push start" equipment made for the Camaro sitting in the warehouse. Without even considering the aesthetics of adding the push start, the modification to the wiring harness alone would be a challenge. Does the key lock the steering column mechanically or is it an electric lock mechanism?
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #138
14sw1le

Drives: 2014 summit white 2SS/RS/1le
has anyone received the new key yet ? taken a ordered car home that is being held because of this ?
14sw1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #139
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post

So, do you think GM will be punished by you not buying a Camaro? I think not....

Just seems very petty to me...I don't like the fob, so I won't buy the car...
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #140
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
So, do you think GM will be punished by you not buying a Camaro? I think not....

Just seems very petty to me...I don't like the fob, so I won't buy the car...
I think it's more about how they're being treated as a customer than the design of the fob.

You're ready to buy a Camaro or worse, you already did. Signed the paperwork got financing and then you're told you can't take your car home because of something that really isn't a safety issue. There are half a million Camaros on the road with the current fob being used. If its aafe enough for us to wait for a letter telling us to bring the car in, its safe enough to let these people have their cars. If its too dangerous to let these people have their car, then it's too dangerous for us to continue to drive them.