Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 06-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
StevenBateman

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black LS
Supercharger or Turbo?

So I'm sure there's already a thread or two about this topic but I figured I'd start another one. I'm looking into investing in either a supercharger or a turbo for my V6. This will not be for a while but I'd like to get my research done early so that I can start banking some money. Looking at either an IPF supercharger or STS turbo kit. I'm looking for one that has lots of power to begin with as well as something that is capable of having add ons to increase the horsepower in the future. Any and all advice would be helpful! (other than the famous "just buy a V8").
StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Research the STS kit on here.

IPF is a great kit. And i love mine.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
StevenBateman

Honestly this is pretty impressive...STS single turbo, paired with water/methanol injection system...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169133
Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Here's a few threads with other feedback...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337849

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228108

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269355

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284193

If you do a turbo set up ask Gretchen or cant c me for advice...
Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
STS = much pain much sorrow much not happy.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
StevenBateman

Thanks for those! I'm looking into the RX TTs ATM
Old 06-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Lmao RX is crap
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6owner View Post
Lmao RX is crap
Just read a review on the RX supercharger and I see that you commented saying that you went with the RX SC. So I'm guessing you didn't like it?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Save yourself the trouble.... IPF is the only way to go unless you are a 2012 or newer, the Twin turbo custom kit $$$$ or IPF...IPF, it just works....

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBateman View Post
Just read a review on the RX supercharger and I see that you commented saying that you went with the RX SC. So I'm guessing you didn't like it?
I hated it. It was crap. Nothing fit. Had to make it work properly on my own
Old 06-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
StevenBateman

Quote:
That's a pretty terrible experience and would hate it if that ever happened, considering how much these things cost. I'm reading ALOT of good reviews on the IPF SC and have seen people achieve considerable gains. I just haven't found out how upgradeable the kit can be when it comes time to add even more ponies.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

look at the IPF pulley upgrade thread. Its new but that + meth seems like its a good upgrade.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
look at the IPF pulley upgrade thread. Its new but that + meth seems like its a good upgrade.
Link me?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #14
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

the ipf uses a vortech V3 head unit, it can support upwards of 700 hp, your engine cannot support that much HP. pully, meth, hard charge pipes, evap system upgrades are all good, then gears, clutch, suspension. You are good to about 400-450 at the wheels, more than that and you are going custom and paying big bucks. You can always plumb nitrous with the IPF kit...

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
Old 06-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364255

Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #16
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
the ipf uses a vortech V3 head unit, it can support upwards of 700 hp, your engine cannot support that much HP. pully, meth, hard charge pipes, evap system upgrades are all good, then gears, clutch, suspension. You are good to about 400-450 at the wheels, more than that and you are going custom and paying big bucks. You can always plumb nitrous with the IPF kit...
As much as I'd love a 700HP car, I don't think I could possibly afford something that powerful! Not to mention there's not really any places around here in Niagara Falls where I could open that bad boy up. Honestly the gains from the SC itself are probably good for me, but I know me and once I get a taste of that power I'm gonna want more, but only to a certain extent.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #17
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I'll echo V6's sentiments re the RX kit. I bought one about the same time he did. It wasn't a kit. It was some parts and sketchy instructions. And then a futile exercise in making it fit and trying to make it all work. Very intrusive on your OEM parts due to the amount of hacking cutting tinkering. My car never ran well with that junk on my car. By comparison IPF's kit was well sorted leaves a very small footprint on the OEM design of the car. That way if you ever have to remove it, nobody would know it was ever there. I've had mine on my car for 19 mos now.

Don't get RX'd™
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #18
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
I'll echo V6's sentiments re the RX kit. I bought one about the same time he did. It wasn't a kit. It was some parts and sketchy instructions. And then a futile exercise in making it fit and trying to make it all work. Very intrusive on your OEM parts due to the amount of hacking cutting tinkering. My car never ran well with that junk on my car. By comparison IPF's kit was well sorted leaves a very small footprint on the OEM design of the car. That way if you ever have to remove it, nobody would know it was ever there. I've had mine on my car for 19 mos now.

Don't get RX'd™
Thanks for the advice! I've seen a lot of other reviews that are parallel with what you're saying about the "kit". How do you like the IPF? What kind of numbers are you getting with it?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #19
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
If you go with the STS kit I would suggest you do the upgraded turbo and plan on relocating the scavenge pump. Tuning has always been an issue for the LLTs and STS relies on a third party for tuning. IPF produces their own tunes, so that's another thing to consider.
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #20
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Only reliable choice for the LLT for now is IPF. And IPS if they get enough interest for a turbo kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #21
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Ipf supercharger
IPS TT kit
Only two I would ever put on my car
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Back when I had my V6 I had the RX "kit" and had all the issues that V6owner had. If you go with a supercharger get the IPF kit, I've personally seen sycrafts and it is a clean looking set up.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #23
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBreezie View Post
Ipf supercharger
IPS TT kit
Only two I would ever put on my car
I was looking at IPS, but on their website they only advertise a TT for the LFX engine, mines an LLT so I'm guessing they don't make a turbo for the LLT engine.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #24
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Quote:
I was looking at IPS, but on their website they only advertise a TT for the LFX engine, mines an LLT so I'm guessing they don't make a turbo for the LLT engine.
There's a thread where they were talking about making one but couldn't get 5 people to commit to it and they said something about waiting on hptuner support, If they made one and had good tuning support I'd put my pennies together for it
Desertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
That's because custom tuning for the LLT has been very hard to come by. IPF offers their own tunes for SC and naturally aspirated tunes.

Just about nobody else can do a custom tune for forced induction for the LLT, and that is the #1 reason we only have one or two options for "reliable" forced induction for the LLT.

If HPTuners can come through, and get a tune for the LLT working (which they are working on, but we have yet to see if they will completely succeed) then IPS will likely start to offer a TT kit in addition to the LFX TT kit.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote