Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

View Poll Results: What should I buy!?
2006 Z06 Vette 127 57.73%
2010 2SS RS LS3 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #101
VelocityC6

Drives: 2006 Z06
Keep in mind a car is only new before you bring it home! Once it rolls off the lot it's a used car to everyone and you'll pay with depreciation.

I think the Camaro is HUGE compared to a vette, no need for the extra room if you don't have a family. Think of this, do 05 Mustangs impress you still? Probably not since they are all over the place. A C6 Z06 is a Supercar, looks intimidating with the wide fenders, is an exprience to drive. 11 sec racecar compared with a 4 seater that runs 13's.

Both cars are a compromise room/performance. Both look great. So the question to ask yourself, do you want to own a special car (c6 Z06) or a new Camaro.
2007 Corvette Z51-sold
VelocityC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #102
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1970 Chevelle SS454, 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityC6 View Post
Keep in mind a car is only new before you bring it home! Once it rolls off the lot it's a used car to everyone and you'll pay with depreciation.

The depreciation thing with the Camaro SS right now in this place in time is simply is subject to debate. Previously titled low mile cars with sales tax paid in state of origin are bringing MSRP or better for buyers in states like AZ which does not make you pay sales tax on previously titled vehicles

C6's and Z06's values have been sinking as of late, so the better value retention argument is a tenuous. Long term, both the Camaro and the Vette will both depreciate the same percentagewise vs. initial cost. I.E. at one point in time, they will both be just tired used cars bringing a fraction of their orig cost.

I think both sides have to realize these are no longer classics like the cars of the 60's. They are better to drive but due to their complexity and electronics will be hard to justify 30 years hence as a classic
cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #103
billnsandi

Drives: '07 Corvette ZO6
Eh, give it a year and you will be able to buy a Camaro off the lot for Invoice. '06 z06 were selling alot of places for 10k over msrp. Near the end of '07 they started dropping and could be had for below msrp, and now we have advertisers on this site selling them for 1500 below invoice.

No matter how you spin it though, the largest depreciation happens right when you sign the papers in your name and drive the vehicle off the lot (new model hysteria aside). Dollar for dollar you will "retain" more for your purchase price in resale value on a used z06 vs a new Camaro (or any new car for that matter).
billnsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #104
fever_08

Drives: '08 M3
well, people generally don't buy Z06's and baby them around. The car would have been driven hard occasionally, but this car was made for that. There was (are) some problems with the corvettes (all) such as the roof delaminating and flying off at speed. Not sure if the Z06 had this problem as all Z's have a fixed roof...but, as was mentioned earlier, a trip to the dealer and some injection of expoxy fixed that. Secondly, specific to the LS7 engine is the problem of the rocker shafts spitting out the needle bearings. This was generally confined to the 2007 model year, but it did show up in some of the '06's as well.
Being a US import, its not worth as much as a canadian car in the canadian market, but at 50K, this looks like its factored in as most 06-07 canadian Z's are priced around the mid 60's.
Its a good price for a great car and having previously had a 2007 Z-51 corvette, I wouldnt even hesitate to walk from the camaro and jump on that vette. The way GM is pumping out those camaro's, the shine will be off them by this time next year. I also think that there will be quite a few used Camaros on the market next year as people realize that maybe it wasnt quite the car that they thought it was going to be.
The Z06 is way more 'exclusive' if you are into that sort of thing...for me, no brainer..get the Z06
fever_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #105
KarFan

Drives: CARS
When price isn't an issue go Z06. The LS7 is seductive in both power and sound!
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #106
Tactical Z
Banned

Drives: Nissan Titan
Z0SEX! I uhh err mean Z06.

Good luck.
Tactical Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #107
mrcowboy

Drives: SS Camaro RJT
Get the vette if you don't need to put more than one passenger in it.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #108
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakout View Post
Are you serious? Silver with Gray stripes? For some reason I don't think that would look right...maybe I'm not picturing it right?
Awsum color combo trust me SIM with CGM stripes is sick. But bro I would get the Camaro: Newer car, more hype, better econ., new longer lasting warranty. Its tough I know, but if I were in your place I would get the new ride. The latest and the greatest is the motto I live by.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #109
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Not so. I think they have shelved development of the C7 for the time being. Expect the C6 for several more years. Another C4 in the making. 1984-1996... eeeek, 13 model years with no mojor changes! The C6 has only been out 5 years, well I guess 6 model years if you count 2005 thru 2010.

The C4 had plenty of changes to keep it afloat. L98/LT1/LT4/LT5, exterior changes, and major interior overhauls. Dude hasn't got a clue.

Anyways, I'd get the Vette, and try to get an extended warranty.

Last edited by Treadstone; 08-14-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #110
Treadstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

I'd definitely pick the Camaro over the 2006 Z06. First of all, it is a new 2010 vehicle. Second, it is currently being treated like an exotic car..Something the corvette never gets treated like. If you want to take the car to the track and are concerned about the speed difference, or winning races...Then get yourself the Vette Z06.. If you want a car to cruise around and occasionally punch it..then get the Camaro SS..
Wait, are you serious?
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #111
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
My friend buys and sells Corvettes. He told me that $50K was steep for a stock Z06. Unless it is "something special" it is nearly $10K overpriced. BUT... He would rather have the vette. Just not at that price!

Don't yell at me! I am just relaying.
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #112
Rob490

Drives: NONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Collier Sr View Post
My friend buys and sells Corvettes. He told me that $50K was steep for a stock Z06. Unless it is "something special" it is nearly $10K overpriced. BUT... He would rather have the vette. Just not at that price!

Remember OP is in Canada and that price is Canadian so its not to bad. I would take the z06 in this case trust me
Rob490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #113
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Collier Sr View Post

50K canadian, not american dollars! Anyway I went and test drove the corvette. It had the roof recall done on it but the paint on the roof didn't match the rest of the car. It was a shade to dark. It bothered me (I am very picky). It had one scratch on front fender, small and would probably buff out. Interior was mint condition as was the rest of the exterior minus rock chips on drivers side mirror. The drive, well they are quick cars. Ride is much better than I was expecting, not to hard over the bumps actually. But in reality probably a little not practical for the street. I decided not to buy it, for now. I told myself that if this corvette isn't perfect then I am not buying it. I was ok with the scratch and very minor rock chips but the roof being out of shade was too much to make it perfect. Shortly after test driving it I seen a SS camaro red jewel. Looks just as good if not better than the vette. My girlfriend had a good point by saying that I should buy the 1st year for the 5th gen camaro and keep it, someday down the road when the cash is there I can buy a newer, better vette and have both. Hey I am only 21 so good point.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #114
fever_08

I wonder why the roof was a different shade? any explanation on that one?
I probably would have gone the other way...buy the vette now, and get a used Camaro, I think they are going to depreciate like crazy within the next year or two....unless big v-8's are phased out....
Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #115
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by fever_08 View Post
I probably would have gone the other way...buy the vette now, and get a used Camaro, I think they are going to depreciate like crazy within the next year or two....unless big v-8's are phased out....
Maybe the original owner drove it on its top for a bit???

LOL...........
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #116
logan1080

The thing is is that I don't ever plan on selling the 2010 camaro so I am not worried about depreciation. Someday 30 years down the road Ill be able to say I have the first year of the 5th gen camaro. And during that time I can buy a used/new corvette if I want. The dealer who installed and painted the new roof on the recall must have never mixed the paint right. Also the part about the corvette not having any warranty worried me, and t o buy new warranty was $2000 for one year, $2400 the seconds year and $3200 for a 3rd year. I just couldn't get my head around buying a car that most likely driven hard on every outing with no warranty left. Even if I wait and buy a used 07' corvette, at least that has the extended powertrain warranty.

Last edited by logan1080; 08-15-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #117
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
The thing is is that I don't ever plan on selling the 2010 camaro so I am not worried about depreciation. Someday 30 years down the road Ill be able to say I have the first year of the 5th gen camaro. And during that time I can buy a used/new corvette if I want. The dealer who installed and painted the new roof on the recall must have never mixed the paint right. Also the part about the corvette not having any warranty worried me, and t o buy new warranty was $2000 for one year, $2400 the seconds year and $3200 for a 3rd year. I just couldn't get my head around buying a car that most likely driven hard on every outing with no warranty left. Even if I wait and buy a used 07' corvette, at least that has the extended powertrain warranty.
Sounds like your mind is made up then? Get the camaro man, it will always be YOUR car.

Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #118
Treadstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever_08 View Post
Roof was a different color due to roof top recall on 05-07s. The fiberglass panel will fly off due to heat/cold warping issues.

Paint probably doesn't match b/c the paint is newer. I wouldn't buy a vette with rock chips or paint problems. I'd like to know my vette like the back of my hand.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #119
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Hmmmm....a Vette. A Z06 as well if I am reading this right..(came in on page 2)

Man a Vette is...well a vette is dam near the pinnacle of American sport car making. A Z06 is a whole lot of sports car. Colour match or not, I would have bought the Vette and had it repainted.

Probably will take a ding for this, but meh..would not be the first or last....The Camaro is a decent car. I took a long hard look at a 69 this weekend, then compared it to the 2010...Looking I think they should have done the 69RS instead, but mew..

What I am basically saying is that as more Camaro's get to the owners, it will be a less of a uncommon car. The Camaro was made the way it was to keep cost down and get it to the common guy/gal. So there will be a lot of them. Once the newness wears off, it will be like a Mustang really. The 05's were in huge demands..why ? It was a new style. Now they are quite common. A good car, but common. The same will happen to the Camaro.

A Vette is a Vette is a Vette. They will always get attention no matter what. You see a good looking Z06 and it gets your attention. You see a 67 stringray and it gets your attention. There is a lot of tech behind a z06, for me that would be the seller. esp if it was at a good price. A Vette, exp a Z06 would be a very nice buy.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #120
corvettecamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2007 Corvette Z51
Z06 all the way. I have both cars and the vette is just sexy. Performance also, the vette is ready to take on the road. Even a regular vette i would take over the camaro, and like i said, i have them. A 2007 Z06, 2007 Z51, 2010 camaro 2SS, and the vette still wins.
corvettecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:11 AM   #121
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS/RS M6
My dad has an '07 Z06...there is no decision.

Get the Vette

VIN: 2G1FT1EW8A9118043
Finally Home! (6/16)
Red Hot SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 AM   #122
Camaro123

Drives: Pontiac GTO
Let me tell you what you should consider when you make up your mind, as my brother has a Z06 that I borrow “allot” and knows how it feels;

• Z06 have the POWER, the LOOK and 2006 model (a bit old).
• Camaro has less power (not weak though), nice look compared to the Z06, and has the biggest advantage of being 2010 model.
• You didn’t mention the price of the Z06, as that could make the decision taking much easer.
• You have to also consider the area where are you living, and where are you going to drive the car. Z06 needs clean, wide and open roads. Camaro is more convenient everyday city car (especially if you have wife and kids).
• One last point; both can be daily driven cars.

Good luck with your choice and I hope you enjoy any one you get..

Both cars are amazing.
Camaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #123
fever_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
The recall does not include installing a new roof panel, they simply blow in expoxy foam in between the outer and inner roof panels. If the roof did 'blow off', then its not a recall, its a repair with a new roof panel under warranty.
The Z06 is much more of a car to 'keep forever'....Aluminum undercarriage, magnesium engine cradle, carbon fibre front fenders, big HP engine stuffed full of modern day racing technology.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #124
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
Sorry bud... I missed the part about being out of the States!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #125
logan1080

The thing is if I painted the roof of the vette it would mean I would be spending more money than I wanted. The vette costs $50K canadian and that is already more than the camaro. I told myself if I have to stretch the bank any more than what I already am then I won't get it get it. It had to be the perfect deal, mint condition and nothing wrong with it for me to take it. Well if I bought it then I would have to repaint the roof and drivers mirror to be happy with it, also had rock chips around rear fender vents and one along the edge of drivers door. Because of the flaws I decided it wasn't the perfect deal. Sure the corvette is faster and handles better, but when will I ever use that capability just croozing the streets in southwest saskatchewan.