Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 08-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
Ranger 75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
You are wrong about it being in a court of law. I did look it up and I was around back in 1999 and remember all about it.

I know that story is floating around the internet but its inaccurate to say a court of law.
Tom Cat, So to get back to the point! I have 2500 miles 0n my LS3 can I now switch to Royal Purple?
Ranger 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #27
optical
The Pilot

Drives: 1993 Chevy C1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
I love Amsoil and will run it in every vehicle I own.

Thanks so much for the history of oil and what is synthetic and what is not and classifications for different types of oils. That really helped me out. I have heard nothing but good things about Royal Purple though!

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #28
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf

This URL will list the oils that meet GM Spec 4718M for the 6.2L V8

This list also has a listing of oils that meet the V6 Spec GM6094M

Last edited by Sidewinder; 08-12-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #29
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Royal Purple is on neither list.
What's the deal ?
.. and seeing how the manual says only use of 6094 (V6) is recommended, I'm sure warranty might be jeopardized by an oil not held to that standard. Does RP have any identifcation on a label talking about these qualifications ?
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #30
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Well my DD 98Z28 at 244,000+ has had nothing but castrol syntec since I bought it new.
And I have never had any motor issues and still running strong, to me that
says a lot.

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #31
chrisgalles
TEXAS FIGHT!

Drives: Awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 75 View Post
Tom Cat, So to get back to the point! I have 2500 miles 0n my LS3 can I now switch to Royal Purple?
Yes. You will be fine. I changed my oil for the first time right at 1500 miles and put in RP 5w-30. I don't care what anyone says....I backed my car up out of the shop where I changed it and the car just felt smoother. RP is the real deal. It is the only oil that my Camaro will see.
chrisgalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #32
FI4T0MCAT

Drives: 1969 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 75 View Post
Yes you can, and you will be fine. I incourage everyone to research their own products, and decide what you want to use, and what you feel is best for you. I just go by what i have learned, and the advice of a couple of professional engine builders. i DO NOT run RP alone, nor will i ever.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #33
SaintTimothy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FI4T0MCAT View Post
Yes you can, and you will be fine. I incourage everyone to research their own products, and decide what you want to use, and what you feel is best for you. I just go by what i have learned, and the advice of a couple of professional engine builders. i DO NOT run RP alone, nor will i ever.
What zinc additive do you use? How much?

Ordered 10/18/08
Delivered - 6/19/09
SaintTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #34
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
I've been using Mobil 1 forever, they're the only reason I never used Royal Purple, I thought they were just as good. Welp, looks like I'm buying a bunch of purple bottles in a few miles.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #35
oilman63
rjt ordered 10-15 2ss

Drives: 2010 2SS badass camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBBDOGG1986 View Post
But what do you do when your dealer says that ut will void your warranty if you don't use mobile1, what would you do?
Sue! When they tell you that you have to use a specific brand than they better dam well supply it.
oilman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #36
oilman63
rjt ordered 10-15 2ss

Drives: 2010 2SS badass camaro
Quote:
Royal purple, and yes, but thats just my opinion. With all new engines I add zinc initially (adds cushioning properties to the oil) then make my first oil change at 1500. leave the filter though, Then my second at 3000, and change the filter. Then continue on the every 3000 schedule. I always add a zinc addative, oils now cant have enough zinc in them (thanks uncle sam) to provide proper cushioning. So i basically make my own blend.
I disagree.The oil filter in the first oil change is crucial.That's when your getting the most metal particles.That's why I do 500 miles first 2500to 3000 on second.The filter is most important anyone who says different I wouldn't listen to much they have to say.
oilman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #37
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
Can we put 10w30 in the SS?
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #38
FI4T0MCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman63 View Post
I disagree.The oil filter in the first oil change is crucial.That's when your getting the most metal particles.That's why I do 500 miles first 2500to 3000 on second.The filter is most important anyone who says different I wouldn't listen to much they have to say.
Your right i was a bit tired when i wrote that. This applies to break in on an engine only (that you yourself built), and this is for the first oil change that is no more than 500 miles not 1500. Leave the filter and run the full synthetic. Reason being is the filter still contains some of the break in oil, and will mix in some of the high zinc and phosphoris, that are great for cushioning. (im sure the factory does this sort of process before we ever recieve the car however). So for my first oil change on the 2010 its RP with ZDDP addative.

please forgive me, im on alot of forums, and my sbc thought process flairs up here from time to time.

oilman if you feel different than what i have posted then by all means do not listen to me. As i stated before everyone should do their own research. I have found what works for me and that is what i do. I have IMO a nice fleet of cars, all run as perfect as when they were new. If you do something different then great, but i will certainly never try to make a fool out of you by indirectly saying your thoughts are not worth a damn.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #39
GEN-IV
HEMI Hunter

Drives: 06 GTO / 79 Z28
I agree that ZDDP is crucial for some engines, especially flat tappet SBC/BBC applications. Does an engine like the LS3 benefit from ZDDP? It has a full roller valvetrain that certainly doesn't benefit from added zinc.

I thought ZDDP primarily helped boundary layer lubrication, it doesn't do anything for hydrodynamic bearings.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #40
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
5W30 or 10W30?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #41
ssarrival
ZUL8TR

Drives: 94 Z28
5w30
ssarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #42
Moth

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS camaro
when should i change ? i have 75% oil left and 2500 miles ..
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #43
AlphaJaguar55

Drives: 2004 Saturn Ion Redline
F14T0MCAT - There is a lot of great info in there however a lot of it couldn't be further from the truth.

Mobil 1 is a REAL synthetic and is 100% synthetic. Do you really think that the 40+ vehicles they fill from the factory is a bro-deal or some sort of contract? These auto companies have to warranty all of their vehicles and they wouldn't use some sort of fake oil in their vehicles just to have to fix them because they oil doesn't perform.

Want to know the real truth - go search and find out where Royal Purple and Amsoil buy their base stocks from. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. Small companies like RP and Amsoil are that way for a reason, if they made a better product they would sell more of it and be as big as Mobil 1 is - not mixing it in bathtubs behind their corporate offices like they do now.

The facts are all out there for everyone to see, F1, Le Mans, NHRA, OEMs, nobody even comes close to Mobil 1 achievements, research or facilities to make the best oil on the planet. These statements you just made are misleading and unfair to this community. Ask racers at your local strip, circle track or other racing session. When they build motors and use oils like Amsoil, Royal Purple, Eneos, they have to rebuild their motors more times in a season than with Mobil 1.

Also, to hit on additives. You can't just drop a pack of zinc, etc into your oil and expect it to actually mix in your oil and work. 100% of the time the additives end up on the bottom of your oil pan where they stay, doing nothing for your motor and clogging up oil pickup lines, etc.

Opinion is great and healthy for discussion but don't post things that are totally biased and obviously produced by some small oil company with the intent of misleading others. It's not cool.
AlphaJaguar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #44
thirdlobe
Drink the Kool-Aid...

Drives: its Rad!
Send a message via AIM to thirdlobe
Quote:
yes mobile 1 is not a rel synthetic.

" Mobil 1 motor oils are 100% synthetic, utilizing the PAO basestock and proprietary blend of additives that is tailored specifically for each viscosity. Mobil does not discuss specifics about our motor oil formulations."
T0MCAT,

I think before you really start sharing your opinion on something as complex as oils, maybe you should spell Mobil 1 correctly and know they are not from mobile, AL. Its "real" not "rel".

With this being said. It looks like you just did not like the answer they gave you. That's okay for you not to like that. I didn't expect anything else but a very corporate response from Mobil 1. Did you expect them to give you the formula and the specific additives they create for you to duplicate. You asked a simple question and they answered it with out detail. Being as large of a company that Mobil 1 is I don't expect them to try and pull the wool over our eyes. The company is to public, they are not Enron.

I gained more power with Mobil 1 and do not have issues of wear in my motors. I will continue to use their product and will not be quick to change "my whole fleet" because of someones opinion on a forum.
thirdlobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #45
FI4T0MCAT

are you two mildly retarded, or just like to make your first and only posts on this forum argumentative. Read the LAST 4 WORDS of my original post. I got this information from a friend who is an old motor head, and a professional engine builder. But obviously you guys know more than they do. So please everyone divert any questions you have about oil to these 2 guys here. Im not posting in this thread anymore.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #46
AlphaJaguar55

Quote:
are you two mildly retarded, or just like to make your first and only posts on this forum argumentative. Read the LAST 4 WORDS of my original post. I got this information from a friend who is an old motor head, and a professional engine builder. But obviously you guys know more than they do. So please everyone divert any questions you have about oil to these 2 guys here. Im not posting in this thread anymore.
I don't have a Camaro but am looking to get one soon so I've been lurking for the past 6 months or so .

Not saying a know more than anyone that builds engines for a living but I know a bunch of guys that do as well and their information directly conflicts with yours. I'm not an engineer but I do know how to decipher fact from fiction.

Like I said, there definitely was some quality info in your original post but the subjective content was absolutely misguided at best.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #47
FI4T0MCAT

well alpha, you did like i said everyone should do, their OWN research. Like i said a number of times before, i found what works for me, and thats what i do. If someone doesnt like what i posted they dont need to listen to it. My frustrations were more aimed at "thirdlobe" who decided that his first bit of input would be to try and correct a typing error, of which it wasnt even MINE. Obviously he gets his jollies off trying to be right at everything all the time.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #48
AlphaJaguar55

Quote:
well alpha, you did like i said everyone should do, their OWN research. Like i said a number of times before, i found what works for me, and thats what i do. If someone doesnt like what i posted they dont need to listen to it.
Like yourself I like to do my own research to make sure I'm always using the best product. I guess I just find solace in using a derivative of the same product that F1, NASCAR and cars A LOT more expensive and intricate than my own use to win races and last a long time.

To add some subjective info of my own in here, I've only used Mobil 1, since that's what my car came factory fill with, like the Camaro. I follow the oil change indicator in my car which usually tells me to change oil every 9,000-11,000 miles (I drive about 90% highway so the RPMs are low and I go longer before the light goes off).

I recently took my engine out to put in one with forged pistons, ported head, blah blah blah and when my old engine was taken apart, you couldn't even tell the bearings, rings, seals were used, they looked like brand new parts. That was after 70,000 miles of beating the piss out of it (other 10% was track duty, lol). I'm not an engineer but I don't think an oil can get better than that...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #49
thirdlobe
Drink the Kool-Aid...

Drives: its Rad!
Send a message via AIM to thirdlobe
Quote:
I happen to be mildly retarded and I can tell you its not nice to call names. I did not attack you I made comments about your post that made perfect sense. You spelled something incorrectly and I thought you may want to know. I dont mean to be argumentative but I am here doing the same thing you are. Sharing an opinion. Can I have a rant like yours and it be okay as long as I write at the end "Just kidding"? You are giving advice that many people are looking at and taking it for more than a grain of salt.

So you got this information from a friend that has a cousin that met a girl down the alley, where her boyfriend was working on his brand new Camaro? Was his name Dale Earnhardt Jr?

I dont need to answer everyone's questions since I am far from being qualified to answer them. It would be nice to post some facts and not fiction or hear say.

Hey and just for you to take notes this is my second post. I know you will want to mention it in your response. Seriously, I am not here to pick a fight. The first post you had in this thread was devaluing a company and you did not say it was someones opinion, you began writing as it were fact.

If you take any of this offensively I am sorry. I am just trying to be subjectional.
thirdlobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #50
FI4T0MCAT

Hey i dont care if you say what i posted is wrong or not, I cant claim it as my own. All i did is post it for everyones reference. I use my own blend, and its kept everything i own running great, just dont make your first words out of the gate an attempt to insult someone (by, for example correcting their typing errors). We all make mistakes man, it doesnt make you any better than me, or me any better than you to point them out.