Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
goose2011
Drive it like u stole it

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss and 1968 camar
need help pickin out a cai and headers

hey i was thinking about gettin a lmr cai and borla headers when they come out. i already have the borla exhaust...so any other ideas
goose2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
abrahmend

Drives: 2 SS
I don't know anything about the Borla headers... I went with the ARH Long tube headers for the power. I am waiting for Vararam CAI to come out, hopefully by the end of the month.
abrahmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Curt@BMCPerformance

Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
well the good news is you have plenty of options!! I'd go with the Borla headers just to keep everything the same and their in a good price range compared to the kooks. You can find them here:

http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/category_s/2497.htm

As far as intakes, we offer the AirRaid and Granatelli, the latter is brand spakin new so if your interested let me know and i can get some pricing for you!

http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/category_s/2589.htm

Either way you'll be driving with one big smile!! lol.
Curt@BMCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
goose2011
Drive it like u stole it

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss and 1968 camar
well i heard tht diable was comin out wit thur tuner soon should i got wit tht
goose2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Curt@BMCPerformance

Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
do you mean in reference to the intake? If so it would definitly be benificial to combo up the CAI with a tuner, you'll see better gains that way and you may also need a tune to go with the headers.
Curt@BMCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
We stock the ARH headers with or without cats. We're working on the TSP header systems, but we're still a solid 6 weeks out on them. For intakes, I'd probably sit tight for our new TSP intake, the AirAid or maybe the Vararam. I'll be testing all the different options & I'll let you know how they stack up.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Anthony@ARH

Drives: Black s2000, 749 ducati dark
My vote is for AR headers but I may be a little bias, either give us or Texas speed a call.

Anthony
Anthony@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Georger

Drives: 1979 camaro
I you need any information about our product please give us a call toll free at 1 866 586 KOOK. One of our sales professionals will be able to answer an of you questions.Thanks
Georger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
thecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/1967 Camaro SS
I have the LMR CAI and love it. I'm waiting on headers, can't make up my mind if I want the DT Shorties or ARH LTs...

Plus, I don't want to fork out a ton of money...but understand I have to pay to play.

And I don't want to void my warranty.
thecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have LMR CAI, KooKs Headers, and Corsa Exhaust currently.....

I love the set-up I have and wouldn't change anything.....

I will be installing a MagnaCharger TVS-2300 in two weeks.....

If you get the LMR CAI get there Carbon Fiber it looks really nice.....

You can't go wrong with American Racing or Kooks Headers.......
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
You might want to take a look at ADM's new CAI.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36712

He also uses ARH with Magnaflow stuff. You might give him a call or email just to get some more options. www.admperformance.com
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

He also uses ARH with Magnaflow stuff. You might give him a call or email just to get some more options. www.admperformance.com
Going with ADM CAI for sure, that thing is nicely built and AR headers. Not sure what exhaust yet...maybe Corsa.
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
gmag21
gmag21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to gmag21 Send a message via Skype™ to gmag21
LMR cold air intake is the best
American racing headers are god like
corsa exhuast is sex
3200 stall is insanity

L99 | Billyboat Exhaust, American Racing Headers, Pfadt Springs and Sways, Tune | 350 whp / 371 tq
gmag21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
I can confidently recommend the AR headers. My only caution is to be prepared for the noise when you get on the gas. It sound great and not too loud with the windows up, but with the windows down you get the hear the noise everyone else is hearing...and it's not quiet!

No comment on the CAI...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Hit the "Easy" button and do the following:

1) Doug Thorley Shorty ($556) or Long Tube ($669 I think) ceramic coated headers (Vendor thread)
2) Doug Thorley Cat-back (X-pipe) system (sound clips in Exhaust thread - $504)
3) Vararam CAI. (Vendor thread - $ still undertermined)

Get it all at introductory prices (for the time being) for somewhere around $1,500 assuming the Vararam CAI comes in under $500. To get these prices, you'll have to act soon because some of these options will probably go up once they start shipping. Try to get all that with the big name branded stuff and you'll pay $1,000+ more easy. Go check this stuff out. Doesn't cost a thing to window shop, right?

Good luck.

Last edited by Edrock; 08-13-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #16
Late Model Racecraft

Drives: 2014 C7 + 98 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I can confidently recommend the AR headers. My only caution is to be prepared for the noise when you get on the gas. It sound great and not too loud with the windows up, but with the windows down you get the hear the noise everyone else is hearing...and it's not quiet!

No comment on the CAI...
Have you ever driven a modded car? The noise you are talking about is header noise and will come with ANY header on the market today. You are hearing the exhaust running through the headers. American Racing headers are pricey but you get what you pay for. Real stainless steel MADE IN THE USA, not some cheap chinese brand that the collectors and flanges on will crack within a few months. I have seen several negative post about modifications done to your vehicle. Seems like you would be more happy with a stock vehicle. Modding cars is not for everyone.
Late Model Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #138
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

Give me a call tommorow and I can get you going the right direction.

Andy
www.admperformance.com
214-228-8782
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 AM   #18
mark_p

Drives: 2010 2SSRS m6
I did a lot of research and ended up with kooks long tubes and intermediate pipes. I also went with new eras over radiator design for the cold air intake. At speed where it counts this style will give you more power. Don't listen to all the dyno crap on here with the under hood units. There is a huge difference between sitting on a dyno With a cool engine and the hood open and running 60+ mph with a hot engine and the hood closed. Just remember you want the shortest route to the cool dense outside air.
mark_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #19
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_p View Post
I did a lot of research and ended up with kooks long tubes and intermediate pipes. I also went with new eras over radiator design for the cold air intake. At speed where it counts this style will give you more power. Don't listen to all the dyno crap on here with the under hood units. There is a huge difference between sitting on a dyno With a cool engine and the hood open and running 60+ mph with a hot engine and the hood closed. Just remember you want the shortest route to the cool dense outside air.
You make good valid points.

But the New era product is on top of the radiator isn't it.I would like to see the datalog of this unit sitting in stop and go traffic versus actual speed on the highway..Ill bet at speed it is very close to ambient temp considering the air inlet source...Just around town I see some heat issues.Maybe I can get that data from them.

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #20
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft View Post
Have you ever driven a modded car? The noise you are talking about is header noise and will come with ANY header on the market today. You are hearing the exhaust running through the headers. American Racing headers are pricey but you get what you pay for. Real stainless steel MADE IN THE USA, not some cheap chinese brand that the collectors and flanges on will crack within a few months. I have seen several negative post about modifications done to your vehicle. Seems like you would be more happy with a stock vehicle. Modding cars is not for everyone.
LOL...yeah...I know what headers are...thanks.

I love driving a modded car...especially one with quality parts that don't cause unnecessary damage. I was really close to having exactly what I wanted...all except for one lousy, poorly constructed part that was obviously rushed to market. You obviously read a complaint into my comment about headers that wasn't there. Did you read the part where I said " I can confidently recommend..."??? I have ARH headers and continue to be really impressed with results.

So, I'm guessing these types of posts are what I can expect since I posted an objective review about one of your products? Nice.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057

Last edited by themossman; 08-18-2009 at 02:44 AM.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 AM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
OH! LOOKIE HERE! We get to watch another thread VERY closely to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

BE NICE fellas.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #22
mark_p

Drives: 2010 2SSRS m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
You make good valid points.

But the New era product is on top of the radiator isn't it.I would like to see the datalog of this unit sitting in stop and go traffic versus actual speed on the highway..Ill bet at speed it is very close to ambient temp considering the air inlet source...Just around town I see some heat issues.Maybe I can get that data from them.

Andy
here is the thing though. You do not need the extra horsepower when you are sitting in traffic. You are not even going to need it as soon as you hit the gas as you are going to get enough wheelspin already. You need the extra power when you finally hook up and can put it to the ground which is at least 30+ mph. So when you need this extra power where do you want your cold air intake pulling its air from. The cool dense air rushing throught the front grill or the hot semi stagnate air under the hood. Or you could get one of those with a box around them which should provide a little cooler air but is still very stagnate. in the end you are ok witht the boxed off type as a lot of factory intakes are that way (gt500 etc). But if you have the choice the over the radiator has almost a straight shot from flowing outside air to the intake. So I would either get a CHEEP elbowed under the hood intake (if i want to save money) or a good over the rad intake ( if i want the best).
mark_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #23
chevyboy221

Drives: 2011 black w/IOM stripes
andy at adm performance is very knowegeable and will point you in the right direction
chevyboy221 is offline   Reply With Quote