Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #26
meshamey
Meshamey
 
meshamey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Panama City, Florida
Posts: 299
Oh dam, I missed that, i will go back and look. But mine started up fine after I removed the key and re installed it in the FOB. I did not try it while it was out.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #27
ChrisBlair
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 3,976
My service center is Cadillac so I doubt they'll even bother, but if they do, fine. I'll use the new key when I get service and my spare original for regular use.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #28
sinisterZL1
 
sinisterZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sylvan lake A.B. Canada
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
My service center is Cadillac so I doubt they'll even bother, but if they do, fine. I'll use the new key when I get service and my spare original for regular use.

That's my plan as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #29
sinisterZL1
 
sinisterZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sylvan lake A.B. Canada
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
Oh dam, I missed that, i will go back and look. But mine started up fine after I removed the key and re installed it in the FOB. I did not try it while it was out.

Ya it's a tiny black square chip. The only reason I saw it is it broke out and fell on the floor when I was grinding.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
camarocruzer
Learning more each day
 
camarocruzer's Avatar
 
Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PA/NJ
Posts: 275
I called the dealer today - spoke to my original salesman. Really nice, too.

I asked him about what I wanted to do. He said that yes, they have a laser cutter and understood what I wanted to get done. Said he would ask the service dept on monday about it to be "kosher" regarding laws and whatnot as far as GM goes with the recall.

I reminded him that I will still have the "recall" package, the fob+the key, except when this is over, I will have the key+the fob/switchblade key.

I told him that I can find the blanks online and give them to that dept, so that all they have to go and do is cut the key.....I am hoping that the service manager is like "yeah sure" type of guy......hell, i am not above going there personally and pleading.
__________________
2014 Summit White 2SS/RS, L99

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #31
jeffa
 
Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
The plastic he broke the key out of has no electronics in it. I just did the same thing. Nothing but plastic
Wrong, it does. It has an RFID chip, which is very small.

Without this chip, car wont start
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #32
jeffa
 
Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
I called the dealer today - spoke to my original salesman. Really nice, too.

I asked him about what I wanted to do. He said that yes, they have a laser cutter and understood what I wanted to get done. Said he would ask the service dept on monday about it to be "kosher" regarding laws and whatnot as far as GM goes with the recall.

I reminded him that I will still have the "recall" package, the fob+the key, except when this is over, I will have the key+the fob/switchblade key.

I told him that I can find the blanks online and give them to that dept, so that all they have to go and do is cut the key.....I am hoping that the service manager is like "yeah sure" type of guy......hell, i am not above going there personally and pleading.
Don't think that GM will allow any dealer to cut keys to make the fob back into a switchblade fob....against the recall rules and they can be fined for violating a federal recall.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #33
meshamey
Meshamey
 
meshamey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Panama City, Florida
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Wrong, it does. It has an RFID chip, which is very small.

Without this chip, car wont start
I had no problems removing the key from the upgrade to the new key GM did. I had no problems at all, took 5 minutes to remove the keyed part and place back into the old FOB and car started fine.

I did go back and cut more of the key apart and did find the chip.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #34
camarocruzer
Learning more each day
 
camarocruzer's Avatar
 
Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PA/NJ
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
I had no problems removing the key from the upgrade to the new key GM did. I had no problems at all, took 5 minutes to remove the keyed part and place back into the old FOB and car started fine.

I did go back and cut more of the key apart and did find the chip.
So then what are you saying? That if I went and cut apart the new key and took off the plastic of the part your fingers touch, that it would work inside the switch part of the switchblade of the fob?

All I'd have to do is put in the tiny pin and I'd be good to go?
__________________
2014 Summit White 2SS/RS, L99

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #35
Toasty
Custom User Title :D
 
Toasty's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Don't think that GM will allow any dealer to cut keys to make the fob back into a switchblade fob....against the recall rules and they can be fined for violating a federal recall.
Your argument is invalid.... this is NOT a federally mandated recall. GM is being proactive.
__________________
Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #36
meshamey
Meshamey
 
meshamey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Panama City, Florida
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
So then what are you saying? That if I went and cut apart the new key and took off the plastic of the part your fingers touch, that it would work inside the switch part of the switchblade of the fob?

All I'd have to do is put in the tiny pin and I'd be good to go?
that is exactly what I did , removed blade from new key and put it into old FOB, worked fine. I did the same thing as sinisterZL1. I did keep the other new key intact for if I ever have to go back to dealership.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #37
camarocruzer
Learning more each day
 
camarocruzer's Avatar
 
Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PA/NJ
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
that is exactly what I did , removed blade from new key and put it into old FOB, worked fine. I did the same thing as sinisterZL1. I did keep the other new key intact for if I ever have to go back to dealership.
Where'd you get the little pin? Also, the key blank is curved....ours in the "new" key thingy is straight. how did you get it in the slot of the switchblade?

And, how did you get the black plastic off the new key?
__________________
2014 Summit White 2SS/RS, L99

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #38
meshamey
Meshamey
 
meshamey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Panama City, Florida
Posts: 299
go back and look at sinisterZL1's post. He was the first, I tried it after he did it.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #39
sinisterZL1
 
sinisterZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sylvan lake A.B. Canada
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
go back and look at sinisterZL1's post. He was the first, I tried it after he did it.

PM sent


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #40
sinisterZL1
 
sinisterZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sylvan lake A.B. Canada
Posts: 116
Reversing the recall on the keyfob

I did a small write up titled "reversing key recall" if anyone has more questions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by sinisterZL1; 07-20-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #41
AdeDaMutt
 
Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 17
Would you mind sending me a PM of that write up? I just need to see how you handled the roll pin portion. Thank you!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AdeDaMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #42
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Don't think that GM will allow any dealer to cut keys to make the fob back into a switchblade fob....against the recall rules and they can be fined for violating a federal recall.
There are numerous other GM vehicles that uses this exact same switchblade key and the Camaro is the only car this specific recall effects. As far as they know, it can be for another car.

Plus remember this is a voluntary recall, owners do not have to participate if they don't desire to.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #43
camarocruzer
Learning more each day
 
camarocruzer's Avatar
 
Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PA/NJ
Posts: 275
A special thank you to SinisterZL1; I put the key in a vise (again, a must have for any garage), and cut into the plastic with a metal blade.

The key came out and I was left with just the metal "key" portion.

I went to Lowes and bought super glue - the gel though. Also bought #19 nails -- these were the thinnest that would go through that hole.

I will have to cut the nail to length, then gel it into place but in the meantime, I used the super glue/gel and put the key into the fob part then used a clamp for about 30 minutes.

Complete success. I will use the nail in a day or two to give it the extra strength but for now it isn't going anywhere.

I can't thank you all and this board enough. The recall was bogus and now we can all have our keys back!!!!
__________________
2014 Summit White 2SS/RS, L99

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #44
jeffa
 
Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Your argument is invalid.... this is NOT a federally mandated recall. GM is being proactive.
While it was a proactive recall by GM, they filed it with the federal government, so federal law applies. That is why the dealers could not deliver any new cars without the modified fob/separate key, per GM mandate.

As to current owners with the switchblade key, the recall is not mandatory. It is mandatory on all new cars sold.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #45
camarocruzer
Learning more each day
 
camarocruzer's Avatar
 
Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PA/NJ
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
While it was a proactive recall by GM, they filed it with the federal government, so federal law applies. That is why the dealers could not deliver any new cars without the modified fob/separate key, per GM mandate.

As to current owners with the switchblade key, the recall is not mandatory. It is mandatory on all new cars sold.

.... Which is why I had no say in the matter when I just bought the car.
__________________
2014 Summit White 2SS/RS, L99

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #46
sinisterZL1
 
sinisterZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sylvan lake A.B. Canada
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
A special thank you to SinisterZL1; I put the key in a vise (again, a must have for any garage), and cut into the plastic with a metal blade.

The key came out and I was left with just the metal "key" portion.

I went to Lowes and bought super glue - the gel though. Also bought #19 nails -- these were the thinnest that would go through that hole.

I will have to cut the nail to length, then gel it into place but in the meantime, I used the super glue/gel and put the key into the fob part then used a clamp for about 30 minutes.

Complete success. I will use the nail in a day or two to give it the extra strength but for now it isn't going anywhere.

I can't thank you all and this board enough. The recall was bogus and now we can all have our keys back!!!!

Good job. Glad everything worked out for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #47
shewstring
 
Drives: 2014 LT2/RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterZL1 View Post
Yes is started with a switch blade fob but the factory recall removes the key blade and sticks it in an rubber end key nub. I ground the nub off and installed it on the empty switchblade fob as they leave the factory hinge in place in the fob. I hate having the standard key and a fob after have the switchblade on my 2012 ss. So much nicer. I left the second set of keys alone for now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SinisterZL1, where did you get the pin for the key? I have the blanks for reversal, but need the pin to put it back together the way it was meant to be.
shewstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #48
sinisterZL1
 
sinisterZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sylvan lake A.B. Canada
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewstring View Post
SinisterZL1, where did you get the pin for the key? I have the blanks for reversal, but need the pin to put it back together the way it was meant to be.

I had the pin in my garage in my bolt bin and have no idea where or when I bought it. You should be able to find something that will work at a local hardware store.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #49
camarocruzer
Learning more each day
 
camarocruzer's Avatar
 
Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PA/NJ
Posts: 275
I bought loctite gel and attached the key to the slot. Worked fine and very secure.

Also, I bought #19 nails that I was going to cut to length and put through the hole with some of that gel on it.
__________________
2014 Summit White 2SS/RS, L99

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #50
Just plain Bill
 
Drives: camaro 2ss
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1
The pin is a 1/16" roll pin 3/8" long. Ace hardware sell them
Just plain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.