Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Who else is bouncing off the fuel cut-off?

I'm a bit of an old school racer and I shift gears when I feel the car dropping out of the power band. The problem I am having is that the fuel shut off kicks in before the car runs out of power.

Clearly, there is more power in the LS3 motor past 6,500 rpm. Is it possible to tune the fuel shut off up to 7K?
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,658
If you have a tune done, At that time it can be done.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
gpr
 
Drives: never fast enough
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 59
I would also be curious in this and would like to see someone make a dyno pull out to 7000 rpms, as all dyno runs i have seen the power really hasn't started dropping off at the rpms they shut it down at.
gpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
I would also be curious in this and would like to see someone make a dyno pull out to 7000 rpms, as all dyno runs i have seen the power really hasn't started dropping off at the rpms they shut it down at.
Exactly! When you look at the dyno sheets on here, they all stop the pull when the car is still in the powerband! Consequently, this translates into slower quarter mile times because you cannot shift at the most optimal RPM.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,658
After looking on some posts on a different forums i think that it is set to 6500 rpm is that the valve springs will not go a lot more and live.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
After looking on some posts on a different forums i think that it is set to 6500 rpm is that the valve springs will not go a lot more and live.
Sounds like an upgrade is in order.....
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Robin Lawrence
 
Robin Lawrence's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Galesburg, Illinois
Posts: 447
In stock form the horsepower is falling off before you are feeling it. I have made 30 plus pulls on the dyno in many configurations including head and cam and the power still drops over prior to the 6600 cut off.

Shift sooner, it's faster and a lot easier on parts. Unloading and loading is what causes torsional stresses that break parts.


Robin
__________________
Holley Performance Products

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
In stock form the horsepower is falling off before you are feeling it. I have made 30 plus pulls on the dyno in many configurations including head and cam and the power still drops over prior to the 6600 cut off.

Shift sooner, it's faster and a lot easier on parts. Unloading and loading is what causes torsional stresses that break parts.


Robin
But if you powershift the car, you need to be able to run into high rpm in order for the engine to "drop" into the optimum rpm range when the clutch is let out. I know this is not something that can be tested on the dyno but I'm sure you know what I mean.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Robin Lawrence
 
Robin Lawrence's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Galesburg, Illinois
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
But if you powershift the car, you need to be able to run into high rpm in order for the engine to "drop" into the optimum rpm range when the clutch is let out. I know this is not something that can be tested on the dyno but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Hehe, forgot about that 500 to 600 over and the limiter won't allow that.

I have had several stock cammed LS3's on the dyno and with carb intakes they pulled to 6900 RPM. THe valve springs are decent.

Robin
__________________
Holley Performance Products

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
Hehe, forgot about that 500 to 600 over and the limiter won't allow that.

I have had several stock cammed LS3's on the dyno and with carb intakes they pulled to 6900 RPM. THe valve springs are decent.

Robin
Cool, thanks! Time to go play with the ECM...
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
600hp-lpe


 
600hp-lpe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS RJT MN6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 4,701
Lingenfelter makes an electronic shift light.. sounds like you need one.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS RJT 6SP
600 HP Lingenfelter package 526 RWHP 491 RWTRQ
Pedders Justice package with Z-bar and supercar coilovers
LPE ZR-1 twin disc Clutch, LPE rear w/3.73 gears
NHRA cert. 8.50 CM 10 point roll cage, Cobra racing Seats
Gforce 5 PT. Harnesses, MOMO steering wheel and pedals
285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11 Tires, CCW 19X10 SP16A Wheels
315/30/18 Front, 335/30/18 Rear Hoosier tires, CCW C2K Wheels
Racing Brake Rotors, stainless lines, MT800 Brake pads
HD Rear Axles, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Lower Control Arms
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
Lingenfelter makes an electronic shift light.. sounds like you need one.
What I really need is to move the cut-off up 500 rpm.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody Spray'n their SS yet - nitrous ? WeeZee Forced Induction - V8 37 12-29-2012 09:56 PM
Nitrous System ?????s PoleCat2SSRS2010 Forced Induction - V8 29 12-08-2010 05:55 PM
Camaro ls3 news...true or false? Dark Knight Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 74 06-05-2008 05:29 PM
Americans unwilling to pay for big fuel economy gains, carmakers say Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 7 04-18-2008 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.