Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Aramis76

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Soft whirring sound under hood when engine off

Hi guys!

I just noticed today that on occasion, I hear a faint whirring coming from under the hood. It lasts for maybe 10-20 seconds and then it's gone.

It may also coincide with unlocking the doors but not always.

I had just parked the car in the garage, but this was not the standard "ticking" of a car cooling down. This sounded electronic/electric.

Any idea?
Aramis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
It's probably just cooling fans on your radiator.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Aramis76

Drives: 2011 Camaro
It seemed to come more towards the back of the engine/driver side than the front. Besides, why would the cooling fan spin if the engine is off?
Aramis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis76 View Post
It seemed to come more towards the back of the engine/driver side than the front. Besides, why would the cooling fan spin if the engine is off?
Not quite as common where you are from but when your coolant is still at a certain temp the fans will remain on until it cools down. May be an A/C fan motor or something if it's toward the back of the engine, but that would not stay on, just spin down.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis76 View Post
Hi guys!

I just noticed today that on occasion, I hear a faint whirring coming from under the hood. It lasts for maybe 10-20 seconds and then it's gone.

It may also coincide with unlocking the doors but not always.

I had just parked the car in the garage, but this was not the standard "ticking" of a car cooling down. This sounded electronic/electric.

Any idea?
I hear it also. Very soft hum that runs for A few seconds. I have assumed it is a pump maintaining pressure somewhere - brakes, fuel.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I hear it also. Very soft hum that runs for A few seconds. I have assumed it is a pump maintaining pressure somewhere - brakes, fuel.
I have wondered what the noise could be. I hear it too. The Dodge Caravan I drive for work has a very similar sound.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
I would love to know what this is too.
you don't even have to start the car, just turn key to acc. then back to off, and take key out. wait a few minutes and you hear that whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. maybe a servo motor or something for the ac vents
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
I'd guess that it may be the evaporative emission system going through a test cycle. Just a hunch though. Ours does the same thing.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
6bangerBOOM

Drives: it like he stole it
You've got a small (1/2") hole through your firewall right in that area. Not sure if this information will help you to figure it out, but it might explain why a sound seems to be coming from that area when it might not be.

Sent from my Nokia Brick using Tapatalk
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
This also happens when you put your key in the ignition before starting. Systems startup would be my guess. Which systems, not sure. Fuel? As stated before, emissions? Electrical?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Plaen

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Blue Ray M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
I would love to know what this is too.
you don't even have to start the car, just turn key to acc. then back to off, and take key out. wait a few minutes and you hear that whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. maybe a servo motor or something for the ac vents
Slightly older post, but to answer what that is... GVA nailed it, it is the servo that sets the position of the HVAC mode doors, seems to be on the Camaros it likes to be in defrost mode when the car is shut off. If you set it to defrost before turning off the car, it won't make this noise. Another test would be to not start the car, turn the key to on, and play with the mode buttons/recirc, and be able to duplicate the noise. Most of the GM vehicles in the last 5-7 years that I've owned make that same noise in varying degrees of volume when changing modes, the Camaro seems to be one of the louder ones, and does it on shut down.
Plaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaen View Post
Most of the GM vehicles in the last 5-7 years that I've owned make that same noise in varying degrees
This has been my experience also.

Even heard Fords do it, their sound is slower.........and more irritating though!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote