Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Question new CTS-V engine likely in Camaro?

So after reading in the proving grounds tour thread that there is a supercharged version in the works and the GT500 has been the benchmark for camaro development it sounds like theres a chance we could see the new CTS-V engine (550 hp) in the top dog Camaro version. Anyone else think this is a good possibility?

I at the thought of that engine in this car!!
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Seems to be the general thought around these parts.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think it makes perfect sense. The LS9 would be better but I'd be willing to keep cost down by keeping steel rods, cast pistons, and a smaller blower. Yeah, not having a forged bottom end will limit one's ability to keep the engine safer, but I'm not making a racecar; I just want to spend a couple grand to make 600+ FWHP and call it a day. I'd rather keep it affordable, with great power, than thrown all that exotic stuff in there, drive the price way up, and make "only" another 100 horsepower. Besides; you know GM did their homework the way they've tested CTS-Vs in the past in Germany
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Well, the caddy guys have had a hand in the styling, and its 99% certain that the V6 will be comming from the CTS (and other cars). And using the LS9 would be overkill, even for the Camaro. 550 will do very nicely. And it trumps that so called King of the Road too. Weight would be an issue though, it could be 300 lbs more than the base V8 Camaro.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
LS3 weighs in at 415lbs
LSA weighs in at 469
LLT (V6 304hp) weighs in 380 est according to GM Media
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
LS3 weighs in at 415lbs
LSA weighs in at 469
LLT (V6 304hp) weighs in 380 est according to GM Media
hmm . . . well then, uh, read my sig.

I was basing my estimate on the wieght gained by the GT500 and the ZR-1.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Mythic

no worries, extra weight may also be required for engine mounts and suspension to cope with the torque/hp changes. though the Z06 uses a magnesium engine cradle soo.. I dunno

the good news is that if its 50:50ish with the V6, it should still be close with the LS3 though the LSA would still be a bit nose heavy.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Move the battery to the back for the v8, if it's not already there.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Move the battery to the back for the v8, if it's not already there.
They may already be there, in the spyshots of the V6 engine bay there was not a battery visible...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
What I was told on the tour was that the supercharged engine was a 6.0. I thought the LSA was a 6.2? I am hoping the Corvette driver was wrong.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Whatever happened to the LS8? That was supposed to be the Camaro and Z06 engine. The LSA was to be Cadillac only. The LS8 was also a 6.2 SC and was around 550hp. Why they would need 2 of what seem like the same engine I have no idea but other than early mentions of it I haven't heard a peep about it.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
I wonder if GM is building a SC version of the L76?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Mythic

It may just a slip of the tongue as well. its a lot easier to just say 6 rather than 6 point 2 all the time.

Considering all the dev time that goes into engines and the move to get all engines SAE certified. It would be really had to keep a new engine setup completely secret. I'm going to hang on the the belief they meant 6.2.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html
huh...
Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Well yea it is what i was thinking when i heard they were using a GT500 for a benchmark.

Or it could be an engine that have never seen before.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
It may just a slip of the tongue as well. its a lot easier to just say 6 rather than 6 point 2 all the time.

Considering all the dev time that goes into engines and the move to get all engines SAE certified. It would be really had to keep a new engine setup completely secret. I'm going to hang on the the belief they meant 6.2.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html
huh...
from the link ^, the LS8 sounds awesome

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

I remember reading the article too, and about the LS8 replacing the LS7. I too question the need for so many powerplants that are pretty close to the same thing. I can see distinguishing differences between truck and car powerplants, but to allegedly have so many is very curious in my tiny brain...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #17
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up also

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinZS View Post
So after reading in the proving grounds tour thread that there is a supercharged version in the works and the GT500 has been the benchmark for camaro development it sounds like theres a chance we could see the new CTS-V engine (550 hp) in the top dog Camaro version. Anyone else think this is a good possibility?

my thought.... yup agreed
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #19
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I never saw the point of having LSA, LS8, and LS9. Two? Sure that makes sense. But three? That's going a little overboard. If we get a 6.2L SC (which it sure sounds like we are) and it makes 500+ hp, then I imagine it will be the Caddy V engine. With all the Cadillac in this car, it really will be the poor man's CTS coupe.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #20
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Good. GM can and should come out with any base versions with as small of engines as they feel necessary to sell the car in numbers that makes them money, but I think its crucial that the Camaro needs a 'halo' version like a 500+hp GT500 / Challenger eater. Its crucial for its image as a performance car or whatever GM wants to call it.
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
[QUOTE=radz282003;60455]I think it makes perfect sense. The LS9 would be better but I'd be willing to keep cost down by keeping steel rods, cast pistons, and a smaller blower. Yeah, not having a forged bottom end will limit one's ability to keep the engine safer, but I'm not making a racecar; I just want to spend a couple grand to make 600+ FWHP and call it a day. I'd rather keep it affordable, with great power, than thrown all that exotic stuff in there, drive the price way up, and make "only" another 100 horsepower. Besides; you know GM did their homework the way they've tested CTS-Vs in the past in Germany [/QUOTI

I thought the LSA had a forged bottom end, or is it just the marine LSA?
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinZS View Post

Not at all, if it gets the CTS-V engine, all of a sudden it can trample the Corvette, which has been Chevy's main car, and will always be chevy's main car.
carsismeZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

[QUOTE=SSNIGHTMARE;61373]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think it makes perfect sense. The LS9 would be better but I'd be willing to keep cost down by keeping steel rods, cast pistons, and a smaller blower. Yeah, not having a forged bottom end will limit one's ability to keep the engine safer, but I'm not making a racecar; I just want to spend a couple grand to make 600+ FWHP and call it a day. I'd rather keep it affordable, with great power, than thrown all that exotic stuff in there, drive the price way up, and make "only" another 100 horsepower. Besides; you know GM did their homework the way they've tested CTS-Vs in the past in Germany [/QUOTI

I thought the LSA had a forged bottom end, or is it just the marine LSA?
My memory has it that the LSA has the forged crank of the LS9, but doesn't share too many more reciprocating parts with it. It doesn't have forged pistons, and the rods are aluminum, not the titanium. I don't think the head bolts are 12mm like the LS9 either. I can't remember if they share the same heat-treated heads as the LS9, but I bet it's likely. I don't think it's completely forged like the LS9 though...
Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 View Post
Not at all, if it gets the CTS-V engine, all of a sudden it can trample the Corvette, which has been Chevy's main car, and will always be chevy's main car.
Precisely. Don't get too hung up on this Camaro v. Corvette thing, though.

There's enough power to go around, don't you worry. 500hp and Camaro won't have to long to wait before being placed in the same sentance.

Besides, it would be able to beat a base model Corvette...but never the Z06, and only in your dreams would it stay near a ZR-1. Again, try not to get to hung up on the idea that the Corvette MUST NOT be beaten by a Camaro.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 View Post
I'm not sure if it would trample the Vette. Look at the comps done between base Corvettes and GT500's. The Camaro will be better than the mustang, but that would end up putting in on nearly equal terms with the corvette. The Camaro will probably get the advantage in acceleration, but will still lag behind in handling. This is the way it always has been

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum