Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
fairuser

Drives: Old and ugly
Question Rotor change on 2010 SS at 25K miles?

Hi,

My mom took her 2010 SS to the local dealer for squeaking brakes. The service advisor tried to upsell her new rotors and pads for $1400 parts ($800) and labor. He said they can't turn the SS rotors. I've seen several threads in here on this issue, but 25K miles? My mom is like 71 and she uses the car to drive my grandma around, not track it.

Anyway, seems like robbery. I asked my Chevy dealer mechanic and he said it sounded fishy, but he hadn't seen the rotors himself. He did say he has turned SS rotors 2-3X, with as many as 73K miles on them (he's pretty far away from her or I'd have him look at them).

Are you guys turning these rotors? I'll get some new aftermarket rotors if I have to, but 25K drive-my-grandma-around miles seems really short life.

I just had my 2011 Corvette (16K mi) rotors lightly turned, because I replaced the dusty GM OEM pads when I swapped out the crappy Goodyear runflats last week.

BTW, anyone using those Brake Performance rotors?

TIA, everyone.
fairuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
cabbe

Drives: none
Change dealer!
cabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
You don't have to drive hard and fast to kill a set of rotors. My wife goes through brakes like it's no tomorrow because she never really takes her foot off of the pedal. This is especially true with automatics because most drivers don't down shift to slow down but rather ride the brakes.

Now back to the OP, I don't have any experience with having rotors turned. I'm at 52k miles and mine are still going strong (knock on wood). However, if the rotors are shot it's really not that difficult to swap them out yourself. In fact, I have been able to price out the entire CTS-V upgrade kit (keeping only the rear calipers) for $1300 in parts. Bigger, better setup for cheaper than what your dealer is selling. Hit me up if you want details.

Mods:
Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and Gary's customs bowties, painted emblems and taillight bezels, DIY Flowtie

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts and steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport sways & endlinks, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, high-flow cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Take the car somewhere else, is my $.02

I don't know the specifics of what they are quoting, but I am assuming it's not any kind of performance (or otherwise) upgrade. For that kind of money you could get mom a set of drilled or slotted rotors and performance pads. Installing is about as simple as anything on the Camaro, definitely can be done in your driveway.

EDIT** I just re-read your post. $600 for labor? Nuts. It takes longer to get the rim off than to change the pads on this car, the rotors are not much to do, either. Run, RUN to another shop.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Wow! Yes, run to a different shop. You should pay no more than about $750, 1K max installed. Even that's a pretty steep price..

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
fairuser

Drives: Old and ugly
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll probably just swap out to new rotors, but somewhere else!
fairuser is offline   Reply With Quote