Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #43
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher
 
LS6-M22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Spring Hill FL
Posts: 230
A buddy of mine had one on his 99 SS.It was featured on hot rod TV about 7 years ago.They did the install on TV and it didn't cost him a dime.Very lucky guy.One day he was driving the car in a bad rain storm and he road over a deep puddle.He ended up hydro-locking his motor.Very unlucky guy.I never liked how the intake was low and in back.You got to be really careful about getting water in the intake.
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #44
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
A buddy of mine had one on his 99 SS.It was featured on hot rod TV about 7 years ago.They did the install on TV and it didn't cost him a dime.Very lucky guy.One day he was driving the car in a bad rain storm and he road over a deep puddle.He ended up hydro-locking his motor.Very unlucky guy.I never liked how the intake was low and in back.You got to be really careful about getting water in the intake.

it would have had to have been one hell of a puddle. the STS kits for 4th gen camaros came with splash shields and the intake sat over 1ft off the ground tucked up behind the bumper.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #45
steviefranchize
 
Drives: truck
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: houston tx
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Turbos belong on V6 and smaller. Sorry.
who did ya here that from? Vin Diesel? i mean toretto....
steviefranchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #46
KamaroKirb
Hell's janitor
 
KamaroKirb's Avatar
 
Drives: 1995 Z28 camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: cleveland, OH
Posts: 120
exhaust spins turbine, and where its not connected there, thats where the air goes back up to the intake. am i right?
__________________
All hail...
KamaroKirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #47
KamaroKirb
Hell's janitor
 
KamaroKirb's Avatar
 
Drives: 1995 Z28 camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: cleveland, OH
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger777 View Post
Why aren't the turbos in the engine bay? It loos like they're by the diff. This is going to have mad lag because it's going to have to pressurize a longer tube, plus the exhaust gasses have more force when being push out of the block. Efficiency is lost by having them at the exhaust tips...



Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
A buddy of mine had one on his 99 SS.It was featured on hot rod TV about 7 years ago.They did the install on TV and it didn't cost him a dime.Very lucky guy.One day he was driving the car in a bad rain storm and he road over a deep puddle.He ended up hydro-locking his motor.Very unlucky guy.I never liked how the intake was low and in back.You got to be really careful about getting water in the intake.
__________________
All hail...
KamaroKirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #48
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaroKirb View Post
exhaust spins turbine, and where its not connected there, thats where the air goes back up to the intake. am i right?

yup
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #49
kunkelz28
 
kunkelz28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St Cloud Minnesota
Posts: 320
rear mount turbos, that will suck when they start on fire
kunkelz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #50
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkelz28 View Post
rear mount turbos, that will suck when they start on fire

__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #51
Hanzo
 
Hanzo's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Black 1SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Mountains of IL
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gen SS View Post
The Dyno results on this SS kit will hopefully be next week. This may help..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37457
You just link back to this thread? Just saying.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #52
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner
 
14pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger777 View Post
Why aren't the turbos in the engine bay? It loos like they're by the diff. This is going to have mad lag because it's going to have to pressurize a longer tube, plus the exhaust gasses have more force when being push out of the block. Efficiency is lost by having them at the exhaust tips...
Have one on my 2001 Silverado. The "mad lag" is gone by 1,700 RPM, when the system starts building boost. So, whatcha talking about?
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #53
CamaroBAMF28
 
Drives: Black 2LT RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edison
Posts: 232
i wouldnt even want a twin turbo kit like that one. i dont like remote mounts. sorry
CamaroBAMF28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #54
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,661
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger777 View Post
Why aren't the turbos in the engine bay? It loos like they're by the diff. This is going to have mad lag because it's going to have to pressurize a longer tube, plus the exhaust gasses have more force when being push out of the block. Efficiency is lost by having them at the exhaust tips...
Contrary to popular belief, this is not true. This system has no intercooler, because it doesn't need one (the exposed, elongated intake pipes actually act like an intercooler), soo...the total volume of the intake pipes is equal to that of a traditional system with a necessary intercooler: minimal lag. As for exhaust pressure...pressure is pressure in a closed system, no matter where it's coming from...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #55
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner
 
14pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Contrary to popular belief, this is not true. This system has no intercooler, because it doesn't need one (the exposed, elongated intake pipes actually act like an intercooler), soo...the total volume of the intake pipes is equal to that of a traditional system with a necessary intercooler: minimal lag. As for exhaust pressure...pressure is pressure in a closed system, no matter where it's coming from...
...AND... if you add an Intercooler, you can safely run about 3 PSI more boost without pinging because it will drop the IATs down from around 195 degrees to near ambient air temp. I did this on my 2001 Silverado with the STS Remote Mount.

Also, I added a Water/Methanol Injection Kit to the STS system and can add another 3 PSI of boost safely, when I arm the injection system.
  • Stock STS Kit: 5 PSI boost
  • Air-to-Air Intercooler added to STS Kit: 8 PSI boost
  • Water/Meth Injection on STS Kit: 11 PSI boost
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #56
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
...AND... if you add an Intercooler, you can safely run about 3 PSI more boost without pinging because it will drop the IATs down from around 195 degrees to near ambient air temp. I did this on my 2001 Silverado with the STS Remote Mount.

Also, I added a Water/Methanol Injection Kit to the STS system and can add another 3 PSI of boost safely, when I arm the injection system.
  • Stock STS Kit: 5 PSI boost
  • Air-to-Air Intercooler added to STS Kit: 8 PSI boost
  • Water/Meth Injection on STS Kit: 11 PSI boost

meth is cool
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 07:10 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 08:05 PM
Ambient lighting (ABL) - the FINAL update = LIMITED TO DOOR PANELS CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 338 04-15-2009 06:33 PM
Camaro (concept) Press Release!! Pencil.Fight 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 4 07-21-2008 04:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.