Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
PD123

Drives: Honda Civic EX '96
What do you do to keep your car looking new?

Should I take it to a car wash or do you recommend doing it yourself. If you do it yourself what should you use? Please be as detailed as possible or link me to something with good info.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
DO a search on this as there's a huge thread about care & waxing. I'd include it if I had the time Lots of info on this topic. Good luck!
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Hand wash it at least once a week!!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Jbeazy

Drives: 2LT RS AQUA
zaino!!!!!!!!

www.zainostore.com

Amazing stuff you'll never go back to anything else again
Jbeazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
BAD BRAD

Drives: 1969 CAMARO 2010 CAMARO
GARAGE
BAD BRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
2032Ceta

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2009 Nissan Rogue
Do not bring it to a car wash. Unless you like scratches. Hand wash and apply a good wax/polish. Like others have said, conduct a search and you will be reading for hours...

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
2032Ceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
only touch-less car wash for me. just has an arm that goes around the car and sprays water/soap/wax and then rinse....NO spinning brushes or anything like that...EVER

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
PD123

Drives: Honda Civic EX '96
If it's a brushless car wash then is it fine?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
best way is by hand. Be very careful about what towels you use. Do not use chrome cleaner EVER. Only use soap and water and hard plastic brush on wheels and optional, use chrome polish. There's lots of stuff.

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Lots of threads on here about waxing and detailing...couple good ones...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31056
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19526

Main point is hand wash and use quality wash mits and towels...also ensure you wax and polish the car at least annually though I'd recommend doing it 3 or 4 times a year!

Check out those threads and I think you'll get all the info you need!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
don't park where there's a lot of bird shit on the ground because that's like a bird toilet and parking under it is asking for their grainy/acidic shit to eat away at your paint. claybar at least once a year. The more you get into it the longer it will take to clean your car. It takes me a few hours (1-2) just to do the outside of my car now. I wash/dry/tire dress/detail spray paint/chrome polish wheels/polish exhaust tips/ and that takes a little while

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
www.autoeducation.com
www.bettercarcare.com
www.theoilguy.com
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
2ltcamaro

Drives: Camaro 2lt
I wouldn't use a car wash, especially if they have tire rails. They can damage your rims.
2ltcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD123 View Post
Should I take it to a car wash or do you recommend doing it yourself. If you do it yourself what should you use? Please be as detailed as possible or link me to something with good info.
I highly recommend, doing it yourself. If you want swirl marks and scratches on your car, then let a local car wash do it. But me personally, I don't let anyone beyond myself touch my car. If there are any scratches or swirl marks on my car, I'd feel better knowing I put it there.

If you want your car to stay in immaculate condition, showroom floor, you first have to have DEDICATION, if you don't have that, you won't have the will to keep it in good condition. Second, you need the TIME, if you have a busy schedule, FIND TIME to clean this car. My car, stays clean, and when I say clean, I mean flawless; its because I find time to clean it. The reason my car stays clean is because once it's washed, dried,clayed, washed, polished, and waxed, I put in time to MAINTAIN that finish. To do this, I clean or "touch up" my car in the morning before I leave out for work(15-30min), lunch time at work(45min if nessisary), and again at the end of the day once I know I'm not going anywhere else, then I repeat the next day. This is what I call "maintaining your finish". My car is never dirty because I never give it a chance to be. And rain is never a problem, if you car is waxed with some good wax, the water will not stick to your car, but it will bead off, making it 1,000x easier to dry your car after rain or wash.

The constant routine I perform may sound like alot of work, but actually it isn't, 15 minutes, twice a day, keeping the car in immaculate condition. Remeber, light dust will come off with a California duster, easily, and come back with some Adams detail spray, or whatever product you prefer. I choose Adams because of the clean cut shine it gives my car; it gives it that just waxed look. I guarentee, my routine will keep your car in showroom condition. My car doesn't stay dirty for no more than a couple of hours, if that long; and it's even a daily driver. If you want some products to check out go to Adamspolishes .com, they have great products. If you need tips on maintaining the car hit me up on the pm. Also check out some of the stickies in this forum, they have alot of good detailing informtation for you to read.

I guess the moral of the story is, never take your car to a carwash.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
As some have already suggested, I know it can be "a pain", but search the forum, and I know you'll find the answers you're looking for.

And if you still have questions, PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeazy View Post
zaino!!!!!!!!

www.zainostore.com

Not totally true!!!!
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeazy View Post
zaino!!!!!!!!

www.zainostore.com

Zaino is one of the most difficult products to use. I will admit their products do offer a nice result. But its the same result you would get out of any professional product, Adam's, Pinnacle, Menzerna, SmartWax, Chemical Guys. They all offer the same products in different bottles with different scents. I prefer Adam's for ease of use and excellent customer service!

Bottom line - use what works for you. Watch the Junkman videos on youtube and you'll be good to go.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Don't drive it in bad weather, keep it in a garage, and don't let my wife take it shopping.

The more you touch a car the more you mess up the paint. If you don't get it dirty you don't have to be washing and pawing on it all the time. Most of the time for me I just use the california car duster and quick detailer. Less is more when it comes to keeping a car looking great. If you have to drive the car everyday it's much harder and a lot more work and they still get stone chips and scratches from everyday use. I don't believe in Zaino. It's hard to use ,and in my opinion it's no better than a good wax twice a year.
+1
Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Keep it garaged and never drive it in the rain or snow.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

You want to keep your car in immaculate condition and have it survive rain,sleet, or snow? Wash the car, dry the car, clay the car, polish the car(if you want) then wax the car. You don't need to leave your car in a garage just because of bad weather. Do you not goto work just because it rains? No, you put on that damn rain-coat and bring an umbrella; you need to do the same for your car, wax it. This is what wax is for people, protection from the elements. Some of you may be listening to me and thinking to yourself "ah he doesn't know what he's talking about, after it rains you need to wash the car",lol, not for me, ever considered your wax may not work? Well then buy a new one, try something else. But when your car is waxed, you don't have to worry about something so trivial as it getting wet or "bad weather", there are products which protect your car from this, and they work. There are also products which make the surface of your car more resistant to holding dirt. And it's all in the wax. Wax the car then look at the difference.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to make a video demonstrating exactly what I mean, showing viewers how a good wax protects your car from all of the elements,....that especially includes rain. I'll show you how wet my car was before I took it on a drive to remove all of the water from it's surface, and how it looks after the drive before then applying some detail spray to bring back that clean cut shine.

Take care!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
My Jeep is my raincoat, my Camaro will melt if I take it out in the rain or snow
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
RichieRich

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
No dish soap, no car washes,dont give it to someone else to handwash, dont go in rain, dont go in snow.

California duster should come with every car purchase, I use if often.

Garage kept.

Some people go nuts cleaning it all the time the result will be swirl marks.

Don't go nuts cleaning it all the time. Or you'll be labeled "a clean freak" with some sort of obsesive compulsive disorder.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #23
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
No dish soap, no car washes,dont give it to someone else to handwash, dont go in rain, dont go in snow.

California duster should come with every car purchase, I use if often.

Garage kept.

Some people go nuts cleaning it all the time the result will be swirl marks.

Don't go nuts cleaning it all the time. Or you'll be labeled "a clean freak" with some sort of obsesive compulsive disorder.
lol. I got that......

Might I add PD123, never: drive your car, leave it outside, touch it, wash it or do anything with it for that matter! Leave it alone! Park it in the garage and it'll stay in perfect condition. Might I add you purchase one of these......

*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD123 View Post
If you are dedicated, you can maintain it yourself. I explain my process to fix damage and maintain the finish within these videos.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #25
DetailAddict

Drives: .
never a car wash, maybe a detailer... but even a 'detailer', you should check out their 'detailing' process, before trying them out.
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote