Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
the ron

Drives: Vxr8
Stalling could it be my torque converter?

Hi having a few issues with my car just stalling. My tuner is 100% sure it's not my tune they have changed so many number and said if the change anything else the car will drive it self. Cars an ls3 with heartbeat sc and it been cammed by my tuner. They think that with the cam and the converter it's struggling as its smaller than the standard converter and it's not changing down and stalls. The cam works fine in other autos with the standard converter. Any thoughts on this cars running around 550 rwhp. If it runs fine they want to keep the standard one in. Stall on the patc is close to standard. Does and uprated one make that much difference? And help would be greatly appreciated
the ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:58 PM   #2
the ron

Pretty sure it's this one
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...-camaro-truck/
Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 PM   #3
the ron

Cam specs the tuner keeps a secret. The car drives fine and changes down fine only cuts out if you coast to a stop in doesn't always change down and will drop down to idle for a few seconds the cut out
Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
CamALot

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SSRS Black on Black
That is strange. I have a maggie and Ligenfelter GT-11 Cam, ported heads, headers, etc.etc. and am putting down about 525 rwhp at the moment. Never had my car stall. This was with the stock converter. I did have a little surging, so I ended up getting a Yank SS 2800 torque converter and she is like a dream now... but again, never stalled. The upgraded torque converter was not necessary, it was just to get rid of that surge (which was annoying).

Did your tuner look at the transmission tune? Or just the engine tune? those are separate.

What cam are you running? unless this is a highly aggressive cam, I doubt that is the issue IMHO (I am not a tuner or mechanic, but have done a lot of stuff to my car).

No disrespect to your tuner and no offense meant, but I would get a second opinion on the tune. I would recommend Ted Jannetty at Jannetty Racing. They can read your tune (if you buy an SCT or something) and take a look and even do a remote tune. http://www.jannettyracing.com/
CamALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I too would get a second opinion. What's it do if you put it in nuetral? Does it still want to stall?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
the ron

Drive the car normally it's fine coast to a stop it stalls. If you touch the brakes 9/10 it will be fine it's just when you roll to a stop. You can see it die if you blip the throttle you can save it
Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Sounds like a tune issue.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Could it be that the converter is shot. Maybe it's staying in lock-up mode which would cause the car to stall when coming to a stop or make the vehicle harder to stop and maybe surge a little.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
the ron

There sure it's not a tune issue said if he changes anymore numbers the car will drive its self. It has had the same issues since I had the cam and box upgraded along with the converter what are the patc ones like ?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
CamALot

So, when he says he is sure its not the tune... is he also talking about the transmission tune? That tune tells the converter when to lock up, sets pressures, etc. If you upgraded the converter, then the transmission tune would need to change.

In my car, when I took my foot off the gas and hit the brakes, I have seen the RPMs drop kind of low and then recover (but not stall). My tuner was able to fix that.

I know you said your tuner says he is sure its not the tune... It is up to you, but you can ask him for a copy of it and just have someone else take a look. Have you guys taken a data log of when it stalls?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
CamALot

Just to clarify, everyone is saying its the tune because its the tune that controls the fuel and idle RPMs, and basically everything that happens under the hood. At such a low RPM (assuming the tranny tune is correct), the converter should be pretty much completely disengaged in this scenario.

Now, when taking foot off the gas and braking, your RPMs are going to drop and the low end RPM fuel map values are going to get hit. If those values are even slightly too low, the car can stall. Since you added a camshaft, that will cause those low end RPM values to be raised even more.

IMHO, its the cam that was added which is causing the fuel map to need tweaking and the tuner didn't quite fix the low end of the map.

I think we can pretty much prove what happens if you are data logging at the time of the stall. The log will show what your fuel trims were, where you were in the fuel map, RPMs, etc. You will be able to see the issue. I assume your tuner has done this, correct?

I know your tuner is insisting the tune is perfect, but, I would get a second opinion. I have gone to several tuners and it took me a while to find one I trust he knows what he is talking about.

When the car stalls, is it a sputter and die? Or just a fast instantaneous death?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ron View Post
There sure it's not a tune issue said if he changes anymore numbers the car will drive its self. It has had the same issues since I had the cam and box upgraded along with the converter what are the patc ones like ?
Get a second opinion. Tune will do so much on these cars. At the least, let someone look over the tune.

CamALot is dead on.
CP Pistons, Callies Rods, Stock Crank Custom grind cam...AGP TT, Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock.Engine built by ttshovel 747 whp

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #13
the ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamALot View Post
Just to clarify, everyone is saying its the tune because its the tune that controls the fuel and idle RPMs, and basically everything that happens under the hood. At such a low RPM (assuming the tranny tune is correct), the converter should be pretty much completely disengaged in this scenario.

Now, when taking foot off the gas and braking, your RPMs are going to drop and the low end RPM fuel map values are going to get hit. If those values are even slightly too low, the car can stall. Since you added a camshaft, that will cause those low end RPM values to be raised even more.

IMHO, its the cam that was added which is causing the fuel map to need tweaking and the tuner didn't quite fix the low end of the map.

I think we can pretty much prove what happens if you are data logging at the time of the stall. The log will show what your fuel trims were, where you were in the fuel map, RPMs, etc. You will be able to see the issue. I assume your tuner has done this, correct?

I know your tuner is insisting the tune is perfect, but, I would get a second opinion. I have gone to several tuners and it took me a while to find one I trust he knows what he is talking about.

When the car stalls, is it a sputter and die? Or just a fast instantaneous death?

He has data logged it happening. How he's explained it to me that if you say you have numbers from 1to 10 he's adjusted as much as he can at idle airflow it's at 10 if he adjusts anymore the car will drive itself. It only dies when you coast up to a round about or junction you don't always have to stop it mostly happens in 4/5 th gear it won't change down and goes to idle for a few seconds then dies you can see it happening if you blip the throttle in time you can save it. If you don't coast in and brake it will be fine
Old 09-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
the ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Get a second opinion. Tune will do so much on these cars. At the least, let someone look over the tune.

CamALot is dead on.

I will ask him he won't be happy though. Who do you recommend ?