Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
Blakester

Drives: 2010 1ss
Single mid mounted turbo?

I am wondering if anyone has tried a single turbo mounted next to the transmission on either side. Similar to the agp setup but one large turbo instead of twins. I would thik oil return plumbing would be much more simple, only have one air intake and only have one tube to run to an intercooler, and you could run a single this way and any size down pipe you would ever need.

The only down side i see is having to run a hot tube under the trans. And still be limited to t4 framed turbos becaus the space wouldnt allow much. Im curious if it has been tried. Seems simple for someone whould will be building the kit in their garage.
Blakester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Space wouldn't allow much more than a ~700-750rwhp setup. If that is all you wanted, it would be doable.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
Blakester

Thats really all i would need to get me going. Its well within my budget and the fuel system capable of that ballpark would be well within my budget as well. Down the road i may want more which i would get a different game plan.

I was thinking a turbonetics tc78, Mounted on the passenger side. And 2 40 or 45mm waste gates with open dumps. A 4 inch down pipe and split to 2, 2.5 or 3 inch pipes around the front of the diff. Plumb the air intake up under the fuse box and to the intercooler on the passenger side as well.

And i was also considering making a skid plate to protect the crossover and turbo and that would give me something to mount a scavenging pump too.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Why not just do twins? Less lag.
Engine installation underway...AGP TT, Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock, and much more Built by, FSP, myself and ttshovel, Tuned by FSP 800ish whp

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Blakester

I have thought about doing twins as well and haven't ruled it out yet. I do like the simplicity of a single as well as only having to buy one turbo. And for my 600 to 650 hp goal i dont think its that necessary to go twins. I hate the way all the single kits we have to choose from route the hot exhaust piping all over the engine bay but there isnt much that can be done about that. I see my idea as a simple cost effective way a weekend worrior with basic fab and welding skills to get it done with fair quality parts easily for a good price.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
1KillerSS

Thing is like Nick said, space is going to be hard to come by.
Engine installation underway...AGP TT, Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock, and much more Built by, FSP, myself and ttshovel, Tuned by FSP 800ish whp

Build thread
Old 06-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
Blakester

I understand that. But i figured the biggest limit to a single turbo in these cars was not being able to easly snake a 4 inch down pipe through the engine bay. The way im thinking i would imagine a 4 inch down pipe would be more than doable. And a single larger t04 mounted next to the trans probably wont be much physically larger than the turbos that agp and others use when they build mid mounted twins. If anything would be drastically larger on the turbo ,compared to what the twin kits have to offer it would be the turbine housing. It would be sweet if a t6 framed turbo would fit under there. Lol

I dont mean to argue. Just trying to show my point and get others opinions. I know twins are proven to work amazing. This is just an idea i had and was looking for some others opinions and all responses are welcomed. My goal is mild. If i wanted to make shit tons of power with more of a budget, i would definitely go twins.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 SS Blue Ray Metallic
I dont see a big frame turbo fitting down there, im sure someone has tried in these 6 years...
Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
1KillerSS

I don't get the impression that your arguing. How much money do you think you can save by doing this? Just be aware that the cash doesn't stop at the turbo. Next comes tuning, fuel, drivetrain, and other fun filled mods, that still end up draining your wallet.

I personally think if you have the choice, and money, to go anyway you want, then I would choose the combo that let me have the best of both worlds.

You say you only want 650, but just wait till you get used to that and want more, then your options are limited based on space restraints. Just remember the bigger turbo, the more lag, one of the reasons why twins are my prefered choice, small turbos that spool quickly.

That's just my two cents. I favor any mid-mount system, over top mount anyday, and twins over single. The main reasons are well noted in other peoples builds, mistakes, and wants. I read a lot of material, I have done a lot of work in this industry. That doesn't make me an expert, it just helps me gain my preferences and opinion as far as my prefered methods of FI systems for the fifth gen.

Personally I think it would be cool to see a custom fab'd mid-mount system. I just don't see the honest justification for it. But then how do you justify a camaro or FI anyway!

Build thread