Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Dynamat and other sound heat and vib mats: Compare

Dynamat and other sound heat and vib mats: Compare



So who all is using Dynamat sound heat and vib mats???
Anyone using other brands???

Man are them things pricy.

$28 for 2 10"x10" pieces of Dynamat
http://www.dynamat.com/store/store-car.asp

Some roll on crap
http://www.quietcar.net/?gclid=CKvz9...FQIWFQodaVy9HQ

Stuff called 2nd skin that is pricy like dyna
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

And I found smitty mats about 1/3 the pirce of them all.
http://SmittyMats.com/


Look like everyone sell the same basic stuff, those that sponsor racing and have adds on TV just charge out the BLEEP for it............ Also a friend who got dynamat form summit just the other day the salesmen said the price will be going up here soon.

Just hard to spend that much but want some comments.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Oops for got one

http://www.hushmat.com/new/ Performance/index.htm

Starter Kit - 4 square feet
$40.00

Thats 4 12x12 squares for $10 each, man do you know how many it would take to do the inide of my car???

That $2sqft stuff looks better and better.
Its also on ebay with good reviews.

Anyone have pic's they can share of a sound vib mat install in your car or what not???

And how much you spent if that not like asking a woman her age for you.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
chrisgalles
TEXAS FIGHT!
 
chrisgalles's Avatar
 
Drives: Awesome
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Longview, Tx
Posts: 1,234
I've heard from quite a few folks that Dynamat is over-priced and that you are bascally paying for the name. You might want to check into B-Quiet or Fat Mat.

If you are looking for the best...look no further than Second Skin. It's what I plan on using in mine once I get that far.
chrisgalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Did a coupon hunt, this is all I found so far.
Anyone else know of any good coupon codes?

http://www.deals.com/store_3630_dyna...s-coupons.aspx

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ca...udio-sale.html

http://www.tjoos.com/Coupon/144326/Smittymats.com
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
RobertHarriSS
 
RobertHarriSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 379
Used Fat Mat on my Tahoe and it worked great.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
shevyman

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Oops for got one

http://www.hushmat.com/new/ Performance/index.htm

Starter Kit - 4 square feet
$40.00

Thats 4 12x12 squares for $10 each, man do you know how many it would take to do the inide of my car???

That $2sqft stuff looks better and better.
Its also on ebay with good reviews.

Anyone have pic's they can share of a sound vib mat install in your car or what not???

And how much you spent if that not like asking a woman her age for you.
i know they also have a light weight one to. now its not a bad idea if you want to quit up the cab but as for performance i would not reccomend
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
Tecca
.
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ...
Posts: 1,363
I live and die for all products from ED. I am waiting for my stuff to arrive should be here this week. But check them out.

Elemental Designs eDead
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
montej23

 
montej23's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 950
B-quite is very comparable to Dynomat and a lot cheaper i would recommend it plus the guy is very friendly.
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,214
There was a mat that resto guys were using that is from Home Depot. I forget what the name was but it is a stick on insulation mat that was half the price of the Dynamat stuff. It comes in rolls.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Anyone got any prices on what it cost to do a full interior?
On a full interior gut?


Did ya also know that most of that stuff wants you to over lap the edges a
1/4-1/2in that would feel lumpy under the carpet.

1/2in thick stuff, with over laps, makes 3/4-1in thick bumps all over the place.
Gonna need some thick jute padding to make it feel nice.

And I hate the jute padding, it does nothing but hold water and rust your car from the inside out. 90% of all rust holes in the floor of a GM started on the inside. One of the first things I remove from every car.

Hence needing something to help block sound/heat
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
Gentry78
HOOK'EM
 
Gentry78's Avatar
 
Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,284
thats why you get closed cell foam padding it cost more but wont cause you problems

and i did a lot of research on this stuff way back when i was doing this and i believe my conclusion was that second skin was the best stuff and most cost efficient.but things may have changed since then there are other great products out there and all kinds of options that will give you different levels of performance
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
chrisgalles
TEXAS FIGHT!
 
chrisgalles's Avatar
 
Drives: Awesome
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Longview, Tx
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
thats why you get closed cell foam padding it cost more but wont cause you problems

and i did a lot of research on this stuff way back when i was doing this and i believe my conclusion was that second skin was the best stuff and most cost efficient.but things may have changed since then there are other great products out there and all kinds of options that will give you different levels of performance
You are still correct. Second skin is amazing.
chrisgalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
ExCrankster
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 1
OK, so I just got hold of my first Camaro. It's a project and I am starting with cleaning the interior. Only thing left to take out is the driver seat and carpeting.

My question is Not so much the brand of deadener, but how MUCH to use...

Since I am taking the carpet out, should I just Dynamat (or whatEVER product) the whole floor? Or is it sufficient just to deaden the hatch area where the subs will be?

Just a quick measurment on the hatch appears to be 20 sq ft of material needed. Any idea how much to do the WHOLE car?

TIA for your response.

Mike
ExCrankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #14
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
I ended up using SmittyMats for the weight savings as Im only running
a small 2.8 V6 in my 3rd gen Firebird. [With a Fageol SuperCharger ]

I can say order more then you think you need, stuff is handy.
Also get the tape, was gonna cheap out and use chrome ducttape [walmart]
But that aluminum foil tape is nice.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #15
myold88


 
myold88's Avatar
 
Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 5,083
TRY: www.raamaudio.com. $150.00 shipped did my entire trunk area. Includes sound pads and overlay mat. See my 1/22/10 thread under DIY & HOW TO INSTRUCTIONS with photos.
__________________
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Just got this email today:

"Celebrate March Madness with SmittyMats.com

Check our ebay items with SALE in the title for savings on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsmittymatsQQhtZ-1

Or use these coupons in our online store.

http://SmittyMats.com/sell/
[Online Store Only]

15OFF $15 off order of $84 or more
30OFF $30 off orders of $185 or more"
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #17
myold88


 
myold88's Avatar
 
Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 5,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Just got this email today:

"Celebrate March Madness with SmittyMats.com

Check our ebay items with SALE in the title for savings on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsmittymatsQQhtZ-1

Or use these coupons in our online store.

http://SmittyMats.com/sell/
[Online Store Only]

15OFF $15 off order of $84 or more
30OFF $30 off orders of $185 or more"
Think about the total cost when ordering. My entire trunk compartment took 45 SQ Ft total. Cost was $150.00 shipped for both the peel and stick tiles and the overlay carpet pad. 47.5 ft Sq ft box inc shipping: www.raamaudio.com
Attached Images
 
__________________
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
ColtaBilly
 
ColtaBilly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dale City, VA
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Think about the total cost when ordering. My entire trunk compartment took 45 SQ Ft total. Cost was $150.00 shipped for both the peel and stick tiles and the overlay carpet pad. 47.5 ft Sq ft box inc shipping: www.raamaudio.com
Are you going to remove the battery (can you?) and mat under it? I just ordered B-Quiet and will be matting next weekend. I installed Borla catbacks with sport muffler, sounds great! But a little more interior noise than I want. Matting trunk to reduce resonnance. Thanks for the picture!
ColtaBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #19
myold88


 
myold88's Avatar
 
Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 5,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtaBilly View Post
Are you going to remove the battery (can you?) and mat under it? I just ordered B-Quiet and will be matting next weekend. I installed Borla catbacks with sport muffler, sounds great! But a little more interior noise than I want. Matting trunk to reduce resonnance. Thanks for the picture!
No, I went around the battery. There is no mat under the battery.
I also left the left and right air vents open.
Also make sure you leave the vehicle equipment "code sticker" on the left side floor open so the info is not lost. This car has NO unibody insulation- My Camaro is very quiet now but I still plan to do the rear seat area soon. I also installed the accy GM trunk floor mat.
__________________
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin
 
Racer-X's Avatar
 
Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
the cost involed is going to greatly depend on what your real goal is when doing this....


Are you just trying to reduce vibrations? or are you trying to reduce vibration and external noise?

just to try to reduce the vibrations of the factory panels you can do a single layer of damping material over the entire vehicle. this includes... the floor, roof, inside and outside door skins, quater panels, inside quarters, rear package trays (where the rear speakers are), the trunk lid. you will need about 1 1/2 to 2 full 36 sq ft bulk packs of which ever brand you choose. the stuff is heavy so if weight is a factor for you and your vehicle then you may not want to do a full coverage. you can skip the floorpan under the front seats as it has factory stuff put down.... the rest of the vehicle you can do in sq ft pieces in a kind of checkerboard effect. this will give a a good amount of what you want with less weight.
__________________
Bryan

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
myold88


 
myold88's Avatar
 
Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 5,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
the cost involed is going to greatly depend on what your real goal is when doing this....


Are you just trying to reduce vibrations? or are you trying to reduce vibration and external noise?

just to try to reduce the vibrations of the factory panels you can do a single layer of damping material over the entire vehicle. this includes... the floor, roof, inside and outside door skins, quater panels, inside quarters, rear package trays (where the rear speakers are), the trunk lid. you will need about 1 1/2 to 2 full 36 sq ft bulk packs of which ever brand you choose. the stuff is heavy so if weight is a factor for you and your vehicle then you may not want to do a full coverage. you can skip the floorpan under the front seats as it has factory stuff put down.... the rest of the vehicle you can do in sq ft pieces in a kind of checkerboard effect. this will give a a good amount of what you want with less weight.
I was interested in reducing road and exhaust noise. I could hear every little stone and pebble hitting the underside of my car while driving.
Again, I used 45 Sq Ft of 15x15 Raammat tiles just to do my entire trunk area. The shipping label said it was 24 pounds for the tiles and overlay carpet. I bet the GM accy trunk mat weighs 10+ pounds also so if weight is an issue for you, you may not want to insulate/soundproof your Camaro.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #22
grocerygetter
instigator
 
grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS (2ss/rs, auto, SW/IOstripe)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 72034
Posts: 3,782
I would stick with Dynamat Xtreme...IMO it's worth it...I've used a few others.
Also, solid coverage isn't needed unless you are in an extreme situation. You can "checkerboard" or stagger the pieces. You goal is to add mass to the panel, this reduces the frequency is resonates at. On my GN, I did the floor pan solid and the doors, sides, roof, and quarters alternating pieces pretty much. That's a sound quality competition vehicle with USACi and IASCA also.
__________________
-John S.

2014 GMC CC Z71
2004 CTS-V
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #23
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
I ended up using SmittyMats for the weight savings as Im only running
a small 2.8 V6 in my 3rd gen Firebird. [With a Fageol SuperCharger ]

I can say order more then you think you need, stuff is handy.
Also get the tape, was gonna cheap out and use chrome ducttape [walmart]
But that aluminum foil tape is nice.
Use the good foil tape, while getting my 3rd gen back going I had all kinds of hanging chrome ducttape, as my first use for it was my roof and didn't get any with that first order, ohhh the glue stuck well, but the tape pulled away on its own via mr gravity.

nasty mess
__________________
2013 5th Gen Firebird on order.
86 Pontiac Firebird [a work in progress]
[68 Firebird hoodscoops, custom notchback[1-3 built]rear mounted tach, inverted wing]
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/v6...-all-over.html

----------------------------------------------
"In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate.
In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law.
To pursue... natural justice.
This is not vengeance.
Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response.
No, not vengeance.
Punishment."
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #24
rcracer78
 
rcracer78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 211
Can I replace the heat shields under the car w/Dynamat? (they're so cheap and rattle like crazy) Is Dynamat designed for exterior/undercarraige use?
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #25
Orange5thGen

 
Orange5thGen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Convert
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,057
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
Used Fat Mat on my Tahoe and it worked great.

Used it on my Camaro too full trunk took 1 and half kits. Awesome stuff!
__________________
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.