Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Strange "grind" in Reverse V6 M6

This has happened on two occasions, both times as I back the car out of the garage in the morning. Start it up, already in Reverse, release parking brake and go.

Sounds almost like I'm running over something plastic. Doesn't sound like a typical gear grind, but sounds like it's coming from the trans.

The car was clearly in gear all the way and I could move backwards like normal.

Anyone experience this?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
grinding

Make sure the motor isn't torqued over causing an oxygen sensor or something to hit the trasmission shaft or drive shaft. Mine did in forward with hard acceleration. This was with after market headers.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Den4176
El Maligno....

Drives: 2ss/rs,'10-E350, E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
This has happened on two occasions, both times as I back the car out of the garage in the morning. Start it up, already in Reverse, release parking brake and go.

Sounds almost like I'm running over something plastic. Doesn't sound like a typical gear grind, but sounds like it's coming from the trans.

The car was clearly in gear all the way and I could move backwards like normal.

Anyone experience this?
did you find out what the problem was? im having the same issue
Den4176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Den4176
El Maligno....

edit: i thought that your car was a v8... anyhow what was the fix on your car?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
ckaram

I haven't heard the noise in about a month or so. I just wrote it off that I must not have had it fully in reverse even though I heard the "beep" and/or saw the R in the dash.

I also make sure I start the car in neutral and then go to reverse to ensure it's in gear versus just backing out of the garage after starting it in reverse from the night before.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
LyssaRaen

Drives: 2010 SS/RS SIM W/ CGM Stripes
I've had a similar issue in a M6 V8. My fiance and I are honestly thinking that its the ABS system. I had hard braking instance that triggered the ABS and it was the same sound and feeling in the brake pedal, although, no dash light. I havent had the car back to the dealer yet, but its good to know someone else is having the issue.
LyssaRaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
I have the m6 v8 as well and have had this happen at least two to three times both in the morning, it sounds like your scraping your spoiler on something even though I know I'm not. I have 2800 miles on mine, I am wondering if I need to go have it checked out? I have not had any hard braking to activate the ABS so I will out rule that scenario.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
ace2777

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblu View Post
I have the m6 v8 as well and have had this happen at least two to three times both in the morning, it sounds like your scraping your spoiler on something even though I know I'm not. I have 2800 miles on mine, I am wondering if I need to go have it checked out? I have not had any hard braking to activate the ABS so I will out rule that scenario.
This has happened to me also... in reverse with the wheel turned slightly its like a short grinding sound for just a second.

Any answers ???

VORTECH V3 SI SUPERCHARGER
JRE UPGRADE KIT
AMERICAN RACING HEADERS
SOLO MACH-X CAT BACK EXHAUST
JRE CUSTOM TUNE
EIBACH PRO SPRINGS AND SWAYS
CATCH CAN
604 RWHP / 547 TQ
ace2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
ckaram

I never heard it again. I now have about 3800 miles on the car.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Skyblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2777 View Post
This has happened to me also... in reverse with the wheel turned slightly its like a short grinding sound for just a second.

Any answers ???

No, I haven't found out anything, it may be the brakes like someone else said but I have no idea.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
TGSS

Drives: 2010 1SS Camaro
Same thing happened to me. Usually happens when backing into the garage. I pull up to the driveway, clutch it, and go into reverse from a complete stop. After rolling back about 5 feet, I hear the noise. My wheels are generally turned slightly to the right when this happens. V8-M6. If anyone finds anything out, please let us know. Thanks.
TGSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Wingnut
GOT IT....LOVE IT!!!

Drives: 2010 2SS, Silver Ice
It's happening to me as well. When just starting in reverse....sounds like something breaking away as I start moving. I'm afraid it's in the transmission. The brakes are a different issues. I back down a steep incline out of my driveway.......I get about half-way down and the pedal gives some feedback and it's audible. Sounds like something is wrong, but it does it every time, consistantly, which points towards a normal mode of operation. The grinding is really concerning!~
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
Skyblu

My husband told me he noticed me complaining about it the morning after I had washed it, so maybe it is the rust thing on the rotors? I'm going to try it again after I was it and see what happens.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
IAPCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro rs/ss
OK, so I am not going nuts and my 2010 manual trans with 1200 miles give the same noise. It almost sounds like a frog, very consistant and yet the car functions very normal. I have tried with the wheel slightly turned and straight as an arrow, it seems to happen either way flat surface or slant. This has to be some weird GM issue they decided not to inform all of us about. I am open to any and all input. I thought I would check here before taking it to my dealer. Thanks for any input.
IAPCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
IAPCamaro

Ok, so someone just responded to another post I put up about this issue and they siad it is a known issue with the heat shield rubbing aginst the drive shaft or something like that. So if you take it to your dealer they do know about it. I will be going tomorrow to see if they can give it a quick fix. Will keep you posted.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
Den4176
El Maligno....

^^ good luck ...keep us posted...
Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
IAPCamaro

So I just got the word that the heat shield indeed had to be shimmed because it was rubbing on the drive shaft and causing the issue. My frog noise is now gone. Something to be aware of. Now if I could just get the brakes to stop squealing so loud.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #18
sixty9fordkiller
bowtie junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblu View Post
i used to get that sometimes too. (along with the herky jerky acceleration we've all experienced in the morning from V8 models).

What i ended up doing one day is let the car warm up for a few minutes and hear all the little noises it makes.

When i first bought my 96 impala (brand new) it would make some clicking noises and little humming sounds while it warmed up. After taking it to the dealer, i found out it was the ABS system going trough its cycles testing the system) Then my 05 Tahoe made them too (but that one said in the owners manual that it would make all the clicking sounds and humming) and i also discovered the camaro makes all these like "clicky" and "buzzing" sounds when warming up just like my Imp and Hoe do.

with that said, my observation on my car: (LS3 6-speed manual)

idles at about 1000 rpms (on cold starts) for the first 10 seconds
at about 20 seconds, the idle finds its way down to about 500ish rpms

at about 1 minute from startup, i can hear a pretty loud clicking coming from the front tires. (similar to the sound that old light switches make in older homes) Just picture yourself going up and down on one of those lights switches very quickly about 5 or 6 times and thats the sound. Its strong enough that if you're touching the car while its doing it, you can really feel it

about 2 minutes from startup, a slight humming sound (that comes from under the car) is heard for about 1 second.

shortly after, i hear a somewhat of a wench ratcheting sound coming from the rear undercarriage and then thats the end of everything

I took the time to sit through that entire show every single day for an entire week, and it did the exact same cycle every single morning

Since ive let the car idle there for those couple of minutes in the morning until it goes through that entire cycle, ive never had the herky jerky acceleration anymore, nor do i hear that kinda grinding sound (that i used to think was the front lower part of the GFX body kit scraping the driveway), nor any of the clickity clackity noises i used to hear early in the morning

I hope this helps

sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
Bucci
Bucci

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Startup cycle

Sounds exactly like my startup cycle....

I will sit through it and measure as well...

Thanks for the walk through...