Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #15
Wesman
 
Wesman's Avatar
 
Drives: Trans Am
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 391
I can't see a stock 5th gen handling better than my 4th gen with the handling upgrades I've done. The 5th gen is just too large and lumbering to be nimble, and its also got huge wheels which don't help.

However the 5th gens still post decent handling numbers, so I'm curious to see what can be done with some basic aftermarket upgrades. Things like coilovers, larger sway bars, poly bushings, ect should really make these things carve corners.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,221
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Often there is a difference between feeling better (be it faster or better handling) and actually being better. Many will say that lighter cars feel faster or handle better, but numbers can sometimes tell a different story. Generally speaking, it seems to be that the 5th gen is doesn't feel as good as it actually is.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #17
Ltespd
 
Ltespd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 339
I was totally suprised at how much body roll the SS has. I'm afraid to take corners fast in it. I've ordered some Eibachs, and I'll probably change the sway bars a little later.
__________________
2SS/RS, LS3, sunroof, mods.
Ltespd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
CDBiker220
 
Drives: 98 camaro z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: pittsburgh, pa
Posts: 171
I just went from a 98 Z28 to my 2010 SS. I think its night and day, maybe my 4th gen was just worn out. My new SS out handles it in every way, even all my friends were surprised how much better it was even in a bigger car. This may be a poor example, but there is road that I have always pushed my cars to the limit on, its an uphill twisty road with a small straight before a stop sign. I would see what top speed I can hit on it. In my old build up 85 monte carlo I could hit 70-72. My 98 Z28 I could hit about 82-84 and In my new SS I can hit 94, and I have not pushed it as hard as the other two cars yet. So maybe you should look at the speed your carrying while in turns rather than just how it feels.
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
VASCAR2
 
VASCAR2's Avatar
 
Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Illinos
Posts: 222
After driving full size police cars and camaros I can tell you technique can make all the difference in the world when it comes to feel and safe handling. It makes a huge difference if you know how to set the car prior to entering a corner and letting the weight shift prior to getting back on the gas. You can make any vehicle feel unstable if you throw off the cars attitude/balance or try to apply the brakes while in a curve. I thought I was a pretty good driver before I went to driving school. Once you get on the track and have a chance to practice the techniques you can really feel it in the seat of your pants and see it on the stop watch. Before the driving school I had not experimented with taking the different lines through the same curve. If you know the road it can have an effect on which line is actually the best to set you up for the next short straight, curve or what ever. You listen to the professional drivers and how they talk about backing up the corner, push and loose. You can put an inexperienced driver in a 5th generation SS auto and put an experienced driver in a 3.8 98 4th generation with 5 speed manual and the experienced driver can beat the inexperienced driver on a road course. The best compliment I've gotten was responding to a call and a have a non police passenger comment on how smooth the car was for the speed we were going. All the 5th generation cars can be dangerous if not treated with respect. Stability control is no substitute for what God put between yours ears. Don't ever drive past 70 to 80% of your ability and for goodness sake don't drink and drive. Use common sense and you can get a great deal of enjoyment and pride out of owning any Camaro especially a new 5th generation!

VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #20
Blue Maro Demon

 
Blue Maro Demon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,193
The 5th Gen Camaro handles ALOT BETTER than the 4th gens.
Blue Maro Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #21
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
The 5th Gen Camaro handles ALOT BETTER than the 4th gens.
Proof or GTFO.
__________________
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 (MTI Lid/FRA, LS6 Cam, BBK LTs)
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #22
Camarorss350
camaro blogger
 
Camarorss350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black on Black SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central NJ + Atlanta GA
Posts: 358
Send a message via AIM to Camarorss350
well, all i can say is that i had a thirdgen camaro with a little 350hp motor, which has an almost identical suspension set-up as a forthgen and that thing had horrible grip in the turns. Straight line performance was decent as it would hook on my launches but cornering was always bad. Both 3rd and 4th gen fbodies utilized torque-arm suspension which technically should have helped in the corners but didnt because of the Solid Rear Axle. The 5th gen uses a 5 link suspension with a Independent Rear Axle. Honestly the 5th gen should perform better in corners with some stiffer sways and strut/shocks.
Camarorss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #23
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarorss350 View Post
well, all i can say is that i had a thirdgen camaro with a little 350hp motor, which has an almost identical suspension set-up as a forthgen and that thing had horrible grip in the turns. Straight line performance was decent as it would hook on my launches but cornering was always bad. Both 3rd and 4th gen fbodies utilized torque-arm suspension which technically should have helped in the corners but didnt because of the Solid Rear Axle. The 5th gen uses a 5 link suspension with a Independent Rear Axle. Honestly the 5th gen should perform better in corners with some stiffer sways and strut/shocks.
That's nice and all but it lacks factual information.

3rd Gen Iroc-Zs were incredible handlers and pulled .92 on the skid many years ago. I don't understand how you can claim they were horrible when the 'numbers' clearly show otherwise.

FYI:
The SRA setup you just made fun of is actually currently deployed in the latest Mustang GT (TP) that is pulling better numbers than the IRS Camaro. SRA != Poor Handling.... IRS != Great Handling... it's simply not black and white.
__________________
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 (MTI Lid/FRA, LS6 Cam, BBK LTs)
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
Camarorss350
camaro blogger
 
Camarorss350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black on Black SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central NJ + Atlanta GA
Posts: 358
Send a message via AIM to Camarorss350
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
That's nice and all but it lacks factual information.

3rd Gen Iroc-Zs were incredible handlers and pulled .92 on the skid many years ago. I don't understand how you can claim they were horrible when the 'numbers' clearly show otherwise.

FYI:
The SRA setup you just made fun of is actually currently deployed in the latest Mustang GT (TP) that is pulling better numbers than the IRS Camaro. SRA != Poor Handling.... IRS != Great Handling... it's simply not black and white.
I dont really care about the "numbers" i care about what i see with my own eyes, and what i feel when im driving a car.


Anyone can claim numbers all day, but it doesnt really matter until you drive a car yourself.


you are correct, the new stangs do employ a torque arm suspension and also there are kits available to turn fox body stangs into torque-arm setups as well and they work great im not denying that, its all about how the parts are made (stamped steel vs tubed or something of that sort) and how the geometry is setup. This type of suspension can be great when utilized correctly.


If you like the older cars suspension feeling, sell your 2010 and get one.

Camarorss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #25
Stew


 
Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern, Ky
Posts: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarorss350 View Post
I dont really care about the "numbers" i care about what i see with my own eyes, and what i feel when im driving a car.


Anyone can claim numbers all day, but it doesnt really matter until you drive a car yourself.


you are correct, the new stangs do employ a torque arm suspension and also there are kits available to turn fox body stangs into torque-arm setups as well and they work great im not denying that, its all about how the parts are made (stamped steel vs tubed or something of that sort) and how the geometry is setup. This type of suspension can be great when utilized correctly.


If you like the older cars suspension feeling, sell your 2010 and get one.


Was this a base model 3rd gen you had? There were quite a few different models aith a lot of different suspension setups. The ones I have been in, particularly a stock lower mileage 91 Z28 and lower mileage 92 TAs, both handled great, no body roll, and was like they were on rails.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #26
patriotpa
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Posts: 1,966
The 5th gen SS handles like it's bolted to the road! HUGE improvement over previous gens.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,221
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarorss350 View Post
I dont really care about the "numbers" i care about what i see with my own eyes, and what i feel when im driving a car.


Anyone can claim numbers all day, but it doesnt really matter until you drive a car yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Often there is a difference between feeling better (be it faster or better handling) and actually being better. Many will say that lighter cars feel faster or handle better, but numbers can sometimes tell a different story. Generally speaking, it seems to be that the 5th gen doesn't feel as good as it actually is.
I didn't really want to say it again
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #28
Camarorss350
camaro blogger
 
Camarorss350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black on Black SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central NJ + Atlanta GA
Posts: 358
Send a message via AIM to Camarorss350
I had a stock RS (L03 305tbi chassis) with good stock components. thats prob why though. Z's were a higher suspension standard (1LE i believe was the code) I would constantly slip out on turns, could have been my combo, just left a bad taste in my mouth.

But like i said, to each his own, i like the new camaro's feel better and quite honestly it could just be because its all new components and maybe the novelty hasn't worn off? i dont know... but just making accusations that the new camaro is horrible handling wise is just not correct...
Camarorss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My thoughts on the 5th Gen...from a 9 year 4th Gen owner TAG UR IT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 75 07-19-2011 09:30 PM
Are the 4th gens going to loose value w/ the 5th gens coming out? andyrew 4th Generation Camaros 39 04-13-2010 04:13 AM
4th Gen 1/4 mile times versus 5th Gen 1/4 mile times Rock36 Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 52 07-29-2009 10:01 PM
4th Generation meets 5th Generation camaro envy Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 16 07-17-2009 02:45 AM
4th gen, 5th gen poll TonytheTiger 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 29 12-11-2008 11:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.