Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
southpawblues

Drives: 2SS, RS,IOM,Tan leath. DEC 09
Electric Buffer vs. hand buffing??? What say you?

Just ordered my new Camaro and as all of you are already doing, I want this car to look good last a very long time. I have traditionally used electric buffers or the "ball" you can stick on the end of a drill but as I am reading these treads, I am not seeing anything mentioned about electric buffers and poliching balls. Can I conclude you guys are doing this all by hand for the sake of the paint and to minimize micro scratches.........I am in learning mode right now and I can't tell you how much these forums have enlighted me to the fun I will have in owning a 2010 Camaro. Thanks!

Scott
Southpawblues
southpawblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
I will just use elbow grease on my car
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
I'll only use a porter cable on cars with tons of swirls, with a good polish to remove them.
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
RANDOM ORBITAL BUFFER. Just use a LOT of applicator and removal bonnets. Makes a huge difference IMO. this is all I use.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
On a new paint job it should already be buffed out and only need a good clean and wax job that can be done by hand. If you get a scratch you can buff it out, but that is the only time on my 2010 that I had to use my Milwaukee 7" variable speed buffer on it. If you don't have much experience or time rubbing out car paint with a buffer then I would not recommend practicing on your new car. It takes a very light touch,keep you pad wet, and good eye so you don't build up heat, or leave swirl marks. Plus you can tear up molding and such if your not careful. Time and practice will be your friend.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 08-20-2009 at 08:44 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Machine Buffing is always the best way to go.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
As long as the person at the end of the Machine now his stuff.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

I pick up my first machine around 35 years ago and love to polish.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
I pick up my first machine around 35 years ago and love to polish.
I figured by your sig, me only about 8 yrs so I would be the young detailer, but now out of the business. I only do my own now, moved up to bigger and better things.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 08-20-2009 at 08:47 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Angelo@Autopia

Only in my younger 50's. Still feel young at heart.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
Only in my younger 50's. Still feel young at heart.
That's what counts.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Tanner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer is what I just picked up to use on my new Camaro.

Sands - Surprise
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #13
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
It is what material you use that matters. That material is cotton and nothing but cotton. There is absolutley no one advantag of a buffer over the hand job. You wipe it on and you wipe it off. Don't complicate what is as eay as wiping your bottom.
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
Tropi-Care Chris

Drives: 1977 Can Am
If your paint is clean and 100% free of defects there is no reason to use a buffer. But if you are dealing with paint imperfections, swirls, scratches, hazing etc. There is no substitute for a good random orbital buffer like the Porter Cable. Look at it this way, how fast can your hand move? How long can you arm last when working out an entire car filled with scratches? The PC can work up to 6800 orbits per minute, that can work out almost anything that is correctable. It can also remove sanding lines up to 1500 grit, try removing those with your hand.
The PC is just another tool that has its place and use and combined with the proper foam pads, microfiber towels and chemicals, it can be a powerful thing to use. For more information and great pricing check www.tropi-care.com. We have developed a whole line of products centered around the Porter Cable buffer.
Tropi-Care Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
As long as the person at the end of the Machine now his stuff.

If you get the Porter Cable dual action polisher, there is no way you can burn your paint. IMO it is the best one out there.

There simply is no comparison, machine polishing/waxing will come out much better than hand application, and quicker too.

The only bad thing is, once you start polishing/waxing with a machine, you admire your work so much that you almost hate to take your car out!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #16
H1Chester
Bowties forever

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2014 Subaru Izzy WRX
I was putting a wax on my Camaro today and the foam pad on my 8 year old Craftsman automobile buffer came apart.

So reading this thread it looks like the Porter Cable is a good place to start? From researching online there are different buffers for different things you want to do and different speeds for each.

What would the detailing Gods recommend for basic waxing and polishing?
What would the detailing Gods recommend for swirl and light scratch removal?
5% Window Tint, AC red interior overhead LED, AC red interior footwell lighting, AC white license plate LEDs, AC red behind the grill lighting, AC red engine bay lighting, Roto-Fab Intake, BBK Chrome Shorties, Flowmaster Cat-Back, Gary's Custom painted black badges bowties and tail light bezels, Painted black Heritage Grille with "SS", T3 Ports with LEDs, Painted black T3 Splitter with radiator cooler, TSW Nurburgring wheels black powdercoat, NITTO Invo rubber, Hurst Short Throw Shifter with "NH-SS" Bushings, Big Worm Graphix Carbon Fiber GS Hash Marks
H1Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #17
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by H1Chester View Post
I was putting a wax on my Camaro today and the foam pad on my 8 year old Craftsman automobile buffer came apart.

So reading this thread it looks like the Porter Cable is a good place to start? From researching online there are different buffers for different things you want to do and different speeds for each.

What would the detailing Gods recommend for basic waxing and polishing?
What would the detailing Gods recommend for swirl and light scratch removal?
Well I can't speak for the Gods, but one polisher will do everything. That would be the Porter-Cable 7424XP. Take a look at this video series, which stresses how safe that polisher is.

In that video series, I talk a little about the Flex-3401VRG. If you are NOT a novice to machine polishing and know what you are doing, the Flex may be the polisher for you. It totally depends on your experience level.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
Sweet Lola
#42,288

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Sweet Lola
I am so excited. I have been hand rubbing my baby for the last year +. I got a new Porter Cable for Christmas. I am going to practice on the truck and other cars first. There is a great set of video online here by Junkman who takes you thru the whole process.

Darren
Sweet Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Personally, I prefer to polish my SS by hand.

That being said, a couple of years back, I "gave in" and purchased a random-orbital buffer. While I still haven't used it on my Camaro, I've used it with great results on cars I've detailed for customers.

I'd save those "balls" attached to drills for polishing rims, exhausts, etc..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Junkman, what would you recommend on a 4 month old that has only been hand washed and has never had anything on it but a coat of Turtle wax ICE polish since I picked it up with 15 miles on it? Do I need to wash it with dawn or clay bar it? It will sit in my garage until the snow goes away and it will fight with the ninja to see what gets driven in the summer, so not exactly a daily driver either. Semper Fi!
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Junkman, what would you recommend on a 4 month old that has only been hand washed and has never had anything on it but a coat of Turtle wax ICE polish since I picked it up with 15 miles on it? Do I need to wash it with dawn or clay bar it? It will sit in my garage until the snow goes away and it will fight with the ninja to see what gets driven in the summer, so not exactly a daily driver either. Semper Fi!
Sorry to hijack, but thought I might be able to help;

- I don't believe you'd need to wash with Dawn prior to using Adam's, assuming that's what you're going to use.

- I'd definately recommend claying. Reading your post, its obvious you pay close attention to your cars finish. Claying will remove surface contaminants and improve the results of polishing.

Again, sorry for "stepping in"...like Junkman, I detail as well, and thought I might be able to help.

Ed
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
vinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Sorry to hijack, but thought I might be able to help;

- I don't believe you'd need to wash with Dawn prior to using Adam's, assuming that's what you're going to use.

- I'd definately recommend claying. Reading your post, its obvious you pay close attention to your cars finish. Claying will remove surface contaminants and improve the results of polishing.

Again, sorry for "stepping in"...like Junkman, I detail as well, and thought I might be able to help.

Ed
Thank you!!! So basically, am I pretty close to where I need to start then? Paint should definitely be cured by now. Plus the ice is probably close to gone now too. I just don't want to polish a turd. Oh, and the ice did nothing to improve the shine, so according to junkman this may be a good thing
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #23
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
No problem Moose, your input is always appreciated in the detailing dungeon.

Vinman, what your car needs is totally dictated by the shape and condition of your paint. Every thing that you do to your paint is done for a reason that addresses a given condition. You clay the paint to remove contaminants that you can actually feel using the baggie test. If your paint passes the baggie test, then there is no need to clay. Thus, you can see that the need to clay has a gauge that you can use to determine when it is necessary. Not even I can say it is necessary without doing that test.

The reason you wash the car with Dawn is to strip off any products that may be own the paint, such as wax or sealants. If any of that stuff is on your paint, Dawn will remove it. Polishes are used to remove haze and paint damage. If there is no damage or haze in your paint, then you don't need to polish it. On the flip side, polishing will take care of those issues.

All of this is to say that YOU are the best person to ask your own questions because you are right there with the car. I have, however, provided a step by step tutorial for those who need to perform the whole process of paint correction. Between these videos and the ones on my You Tube channel concerning proper washing, you have everything you need to maintain perfect paint.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #24
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Thank you!!! So basically, am I pretty close to where I need to start then? Paint should definitely be cured by now. Plus the ice is probably close to gone now too. I just don't want to polish a turd. Oh, and the ice did nothing to improve the shine, so according to junkman this may be a good thing
Hopefully Junkman doesn't mind me putting in my .02 cents.

Your paint is definately "cured"/ready for polish. FWIW, by the time your car reached your dealer, it was ready for polish, etc., as todays process for painting allows for much quicker "curing" time.

IMO, if you really want to improve your shine, try and use products such as 'Adams', 'Zaino', etc., as they are a notch above most store bought brands. That's not meant as a knock towards any other brand, just an opinion based on my own experiences. I've used Meguire's, Mothers, and a few other OTC brands, but I believe Adams, Zaino, etc., offer more durability.

Lastly, even though I mentioned you may not need to use Dawn, personally, I "play it safe" and wash with Dawn, just to start with a "clean sheet" going forward.

Hope I haven't confused the issue...

Ed
Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #25
vinman

Cool! I'll do the baggie test to see where I'm at, but all in all I'm extremely happy with my paint right now, very shiny and sparkly, just need to protect it and keep it that way. I feel I am working with a pretty open canvas so to speak considering I do wash frequently or whenever the birds decide I need to, lol. I think I'm gonna get the pc buffer, but not sure if I need all the fix it stuff since my paint is basically brand new right now and if I keep at it, it should never get hazy or swirly, correct? Thanks guys!!!!