Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
navyflyer72

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd, BLK/CYB GRY
SCRATCH!

I have an 18 inch curved very light scratch right on my left front fender just behind the wheel well and above the Camaro emblem. I have NO IDEA where it came from or how it got there (guessing someone walking around my car in a parking lot getting too close with something in their hand or pocket that dragged along the paint). It doesn't appear to have been on purpose, not deep enough. What are my options, I am guessing this is a job for a paint shop... F$#7! And don't you know I have a Black SS and there is a car show tomorrow that I was supposed to go to...

People can look, but this is the SH&$ that really pisses me off!!!!! Can you tell I'm less than happy about this? Sorry to vent, but my wife is sick of listening to it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
that sucks bro
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
oilsandsoilfan

Drives: 1969 Z28 and 2010 2SS, Ls3 6sp
Buff it out, or take it to a body shop they can probably buff it out in a half hour give or take a few mins. Especially if it is not to deep, mine had a few from the transport truck when it arrived at the dealer they were able to buff them out with no problems.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
navyflyer72

I'm gonna try that tomorrow, see if I can get out of work a little early and get my paint guys to hopefully work some paint magic! Crossing my fingers...
Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
If you want to remove scratch's, your best bet is using Meguar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound (this is in the Professional line, so it is sold in quarts or gallons only). If you'd rather just go on down to the local Wal Mart or auto parts stores to purchase your supplies, you can probably find Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound, which is similar to M105, but it is dialed in for the consumer-level paint guy. You can apply either product by hand, random orbital, or rotary polisher.

If the finish looks good enough for your needs, you can go right to protecting your paint. If not, use Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish. Then your would follow up with maybe Klasse AIO let it cure 24hrs then follow up with 2 coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint sealant for that wetness you been looking for.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
Define "scratch".
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
navyflyer72

it is deep enough to be white (my SS is Black) but it is probably only just deep enough to be through the paint and into the primer. It is only about as wide as a single strand of hair, but you can see it clearly because it's on a black car. Definitely not anything like when a car is keyed.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post
it is deep enough to be white (my SS is Black) but it is probably only just deep enough to be through the paint and into the primer. It is only about as wide as a single strand of hair, but you can see it clearly because it's on a black car. Definitely not anything like when a car is keyed.
Go to youtube, there you will find tons of tips and how to's. You can learn about anything and eveything on dents, scratches, polishes, waxes, you name it. Now, I just got scrapped last Sunday but it is not a metal deep scratch. I bought Mequiars Scratch X2.0 and the scuff mark came off like majic. I thenm did my buddies truck with the same result. I have a Pop_A_Dent and I am going to try it on this latest dent. Youtube has a hundred different ways to pop a dent-cheap.
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
No worries man. Watch the junkman in his video's how to take care of your ride. Everything is covered here its a 1-10 just sit back and relax.

Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote