Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
New member, pre-order question

Before I put my order in for my 2SS manual, I would like to decide how I will upgrade my exhaust system, i.e., GMPP, aftermarket, etc. I have driven a couple of SSs and my overall impression is that the factory exhaust sounded good inside the cabin, but only under heavy throttle, and it is way too quiet on the outside under any rpm.

I am trying to find the right balance and get an exhaust system that is louder than stock outside the car, but with out a huge increase in droning inside the cabin while cruising on the freeway. I am not too concerned about inside loudness while under heavy throttle, because that’s when it should be loud…I’m only worried about droning in the cabin on the freeway.

Is the GMPP axle back system, what I want?

Loud outside, but not too loud inside. Can that be done? Any suggestions?

Alfie
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Welcome to the Forum!

I highly suggest you do some searches on Exhaust. You will find LOTS of stuff including good sound clips, special pricing, etc...I've been battling which to get but I've narrowed it down to either:

Zoomers

Or MBRP – custom fit for GFX - Cat-Back T304 Square Tips Stainless Exhaust Kit 10 Camaro SS

It will be a CAT back system. Don't care for the drone in the cabin, so that's why I'm going with one of these (IMO). Also looking at one of 2 CAI systems.

Good luck!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
Before I put my order in for my 2SS manual, I would like to decide how I will upgrade my exhaust system, i.e., GMPP, aftermarket, etc. I have driven a couple of SSs and my overall impression is that the factory exhaust sounded good inside the cabin, but only under heavy throttle, and it is way too quiet on the outside under any rpm.

I am trying to find the right balance and get an exhaust system that is louder than stock outside the car, but with out a huge increase in droning inside the cabin while cruising on the freeway. I am not too concerned about inside loudness while under heavy throttle, because that’s when it should be loud…I’m only worried about droning in the cabin on the freeway.

Is the GMPP axle back system, what I want?

Loud outside, but not too loud inside. Can that be done? Any suggestions?

Alfie
Welcome to the site

check out the thread with all the videos of all the aftermarket exhaust people have all ready put on. From what I hear..even the muffler delete doesn't have a drone to it..

any other questions feel free to ask or send me a PM and I'll try to point you in the right direction
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
alfie43

Exhaust mods

Thanks for the reply Michael, but I have listened to most, if not all the clips here. Been there, done that, with motorcycle exhausts and never found the on-line sound files to be helpful...especially if I am trying determine cabin noise levels.

I was hoping to find someone here that has first hand experience with a system or two and could offer a couple of comparisons. Thank again.
Alfie
Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
69 Camaro 09

Drives: 69 Camaro, 010 2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
Thanks for the reply Michael, but I have listened to most, if not all the clips here. Been there, done that, with motorcycle exhausts and never found the on-line sound files to be helpful...especially if I am trying determine cabin noise levels.

I was hoping to find someone here that has first hand experience with a system or two and could offer a couple of comparisons. Thank again.
Alfie
I have heard (in person) Borla, Corsa, Magna Flow, Muffler delete, and Zoomers and in my opinion Zoomers was by far the best in terms of what i was looking for.

-Great start up roar
-Deep throaty Revs
-NO CABIN DRONE (thats really the winner)

and they are even doing a great deal right now, you should check them out. There is a pretty big Zoomers following now in California especially.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
tribone
Cruisin' the Caribbean ..

Drives: Powered by LSX
Send a message via AIM to tribone Send a message via Yahoo to tribone
I have also heard Corsa and a few others and IMHO Zoomers has the best muscle car sound and no drone in the cabin. I've had it for almost 2 months now and it has a nice deep, low, muscle car sound. Not obnoxiously loud. And there is no drone in the cabin. But when you really get on it, you know you got a real exhaust.
Just MHO.

Thanks ZOOMERS!!

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Ok, very good input! Just trying to order the Corsa CAT-back from the dealer now. Else, I'll be taking up Zoomers on their free install! They're only up the road from me
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 08-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

I was checking if the dealer could get the Corsa-CAt back system and put it on my loan. Seems they can't and can only get the GM LS3 system. I think it's an axle back and prefer the Zoomers at this point. So, I will call him tomorrow and cancel it (if it's an axle-back) and call you to reserve one of your Cat-Back systems. I can then arrange to stop by on my way down from Sunnyvale to get install ;-)

Thanks,
Michael J.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
alfie43

Exhaust

My thanks to all for the input (especially you SoCal guys), but I think that the best way for me to go is for me to hear these various systems first hand. I am going to approach Camaro owners in the neighborhood and at the local cruises and ask for demo start-ups. When I hear what I like, I'll know what to buy.

I have plenty of time to figure this exhaust thing out. My Camaro will be a summer only car and it will be covered in my heated garage during the wint....uhh...ski season. Even if I order the car today, it won't arrive until November; only 3-4 weeks before the snow flies here in Michigan. So I may wait until Dec-Jan to order. Thanks again.

Alfie
Old 08-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Just ordered my Zoomers Cat-Back for my LS3!! Thanks Ron for putting one aside for me until I get my car in about 2 weeks! Free install is Sweeet too!! I can't wait!!

Thanks,
Michael J.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Zoomers all the way!

You will love it especially for the no drone!
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote