Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
southpawblues

Drives: 2SS, RS,IOM,Tan leath. DEC 09
Any tips on using a clay bar???

Never had a nice enough car with a paint job that deserved the kind of attention my new Camaro will deserve. I am reading a great deal about using a clay bar and some type of lubricant but I have never used one before. Any tips on technique etc. so I don't screw up a perfectly beautiful paint job? Thanks in advance for any tips from the experts.
Scott
Southpawblues
southpawblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
I don't think you can screw it up...I really overcomplicated it the first time I tried it..it's really easy..just spray a quick detailer or some sort of lubricant and the cllay should move across the paint like a hockey puck on ice..if it sticks..add more lubricant..take your time and work in 2 x2 areas..it's really simple..good luck
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
Griots Garage www.griotsgarage.com
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
There are some major causes of paint contamination:

1. Rail dust - produced from the friction of train wheels against railroad tracks. Over 60% of new vehicles are shipped by rail. Rail dust can contaminate a new car's finish before it even reaches the dealership. Anytime a vehicle is parked or travels near a railroad it is subject to rail dust contamination.

2. Brake dust - particles produced from the friction of brake pads rubbing against the rotor. This metal on metal friction disperses tiny particles of bare metal into the air and on the highway where it collects on passing vehicles.

3. Industrial fallout - another word for pollution, industrial fallout is a by product of our modern industrial age.

After washing and drying your vehicle, put your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over the paint's surface. It should be as smooth as glass. If your car's surface has a rough, gritty or pebble-like texture, it indicates the presence of paint contamination. This should be removed with a clay bar before applying a polish or wax.
Clay bars should always be used on freshly washed, clean surfaces. Dirt on the surface could cause scratches.

Always use a lubricant when claying. Work on areas about two to three square feet. Lightly mist the surface with the lubricant. Place the clay bar in the palm of your hand and rub it across the lubricated area using moderate pressure. (Hard rubbing is not required) You should feel a slight grabbing at first. As you rub, the bar should glide smoothly over the surface. When the bar moves freely you are done. Wipe the surface with a clean dry towel and continue in sections until the entire vehicle is complete.
As the bar becomes soiled, simply pull, stretch and refold to expose a new, clean side. When the bar becomes totally soiled (dark colored) discard it. I like to cut the 8 oz bar in half. A 4 oz. bar should clean at least 4 to 8cars. Remember do not use a bar dropped on the ground. After claying the surface, you have two options. If the vehicle's paint is in like-new condition (good paint gloss and no swirls), you can finish by applying your favorite wax or paint sealant. If the finish shows any swirls or lacks luster, polish with a swirl remover or finishing polish and then apply a final coat of wax or paint sealant.
Hope this help you out...................
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
southpawblues

Awesome advice from everyone who responded. Thanks very much. I think I can tackle with more awareness now. Now I just my new Camaro!!!!! I am still at 1100
Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Abygale

Drives: .
Scott, there are also some great videos on youtube as well. Just google "clay bar Zaino" and several will pop up. I was very uneasy about the whole Zaino/clay bar process as well since I've never been into a car as much as I am this Camaro, and watching the videos helped a lot.

Here are a couple of pictures of my car. I bought it in Texas on Wednesday and drove her home. Yesterday morning I did the whole Zaino process (wash with a little Dawn soap, then washed with Z7, then clay bar, then poished with Z2, detail spray, repeat Z2 polish, and finished with the detail spray).

I just left the car wet after washing with Z7 (the car wash) but I had a spray bottle with the Z7 car wash with water handy in case I needed it. It really isn't as complicated as it sounds initially and if I can do it, you can

Your car will be well worth the wait!

Here is the car when I bought it in Texas:

Next morning after Zaino (for those curious- the same camera was used and it's almost the exact same time of the day)
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Mojave

Drives: Waiting on LT1
Here is a good clay bar video

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_16.aspx

Last edited by Mojave; 08-21-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: edit
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Mojave

Drives: Waiting on LT1
Lots of other car care videos. Learn while you wait for the car.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx
Old 08-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
off1c3r

Drives: 2008 impala ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Scott, there are also some great videos on youtube as well. Just google "clay bar Zaino" and several will pop up. I was very uneasy about the whole Zaino/clay bar process as well since I've never been into a car as much as I am this Camaro, and watching the videos helped a lot.

Here are a couple of pictures of my car. I bought it in Texas on Wednesday and drove her home. Yesterday morning I did the whole Zaino process (wash with a little Dawn soap, then washed with Z7, then clay bar, then poished with Z2, detail spray, repeat Z2 polish, and finished with the detail spray).

I just left the car wet after washing with Z7 (the car wash) but I had a spray bottle with the Z7 car wash with water handy in case I needed it. It really isn't as complicated as it sounds initially and if I can do it, you can

Next morning after Zaino (for those curious- the same camera was used and it's almost the exact same time of the day)
Car looks great!
off1c3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
The last time I clay barred, I used some car soap as a lubricant and just went to town on the car. You can't really scratch the car as the clay itself isn't abrasive.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
I try not to use regular cash soap when claying because it might dry out the clay bar and if your not careful one might marr the paint surface.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
southpawblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post

What a difference. Nice work on the Camaro Abygale. You have inspired me!!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
go to youtube you can see a thousand videos on clay bars, polish, waxing etc., just type in what you want.
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by off1c3r View Post
Car looks great!
What car? Oh yea yea the car.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Eddy9

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Great pics Abygale!!
Eddy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawblues View Post
Never had a nice enough car with a paint job that deserved the kind of attention my new Camaro will deserve. I am reading a great deal about using a clay bar and some type of lubricant but I have never used one before. Any tips on technique etc. so I don't screw up a perfectly beautiful paint job? Thanks in advance for any tips from the experts.
Scott
Southpawblues
Scott,

Just make sure you keep the area where you're claying well lubricated and you'll be fine.

Here's my method;

1. Wash car and do not dry
2. Mix 1 capful of Zaino car wash with water in a spray bottle
3. Spray an area about 6" x 6" wih solution and move clay across surface using very light pressure.
4. Check clay periodically for debris and knead to a clean surface as needed.
5. Upon completion, re wash and dry car.
6. Begin polishing.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #17
southpawblues

Thanks again everyone. I have followed all your advice, watched videos, adams polishes website, U tube, and read, read ,read......... I feel like an expert now and still havent touched any clay
Thanks for the before/after pics as well. I am really getting into all this car detailing info. My Camaro will definitely be a clean and happy Camaro!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #18
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Here's a quick video of the Junkman using a clay bar .

Last edited by Thrillz; 08-23-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote