Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 09-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #26
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
the only intelligent cai so far other than stock is gmpp retain the stock box with a bigger box for more volume and a tube without resonators
mr_desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
rsmitchell10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Silver
Where on the ZZ website is this product offered?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #28
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
the Roto-fab seats to the hood, instead of a lid. The intake tube is screwed to the box. It seals across the bottom and up the fender well. The only place left to draw air it the front of the box, where the stock use to, and more volumn coming through the grill. Not sure what a lid adds that sealing to the hood would not.

I don't have a baseline, but am planning on getting my car dynoed this week, if I can find someone that knows what they are doing in my area.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #29
d69chris
Florida C5

Scott,

Will post numbers. I believe it will gain 1000 hp and 1005 torque..........just kidding. I had to spend my money on something. Seemed good at the time. If I get a maggie, it will mate up real well.

You all need to stop making me fel bad.....

If you paint it like mine, you get 1000 bitchen points in your own mind everytime you open your hood.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #30
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
Scott,

Will post numbers. I believe it will gain 1000 hp and 1005 torque..........just kidding. I had to spend my money on something. Seemed good at the time. If I get a maggie, it will mate up real well.

You all need to stop making me fel bad.....

If you paint it like mine, you get 1000 bitchen points in your own mind everytime you open your hood.
LOL, that does look great.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #31
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 2012 zl1
Roto-fab CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
the Roto-fab seats to the hood, instead of a lid. The intake tube is screwed to the box. It seals across the bottom and up the fender well. The only place left to draw air it the front of the box, where the stock use to, and more volumn coming through the grill. Not sure what a lid adds that sealing to the hood would not.

I don't have a baseline, but am planning on getting my car dynoed this week, if I can find someone that knows what they are doing in my area.
We've been involved in a great deal of testing on an engine dyno with enclosed air boxes. Engine dynos are good for this because they take some of the variables out of the equation when testing various designs.
We've learned one general rule-more space around the filter means more power.
We ran box configurations in different sizes, with and without a lid, no lid and a hole cut in the box and finally no box at all. Each time we created more space around the filter, we gained power. If you can install a 2' cube to mount the filter, that's ideal!
With packaging considerations, it's not very realistic though.
The other issue is filter size-generally, bigger is better. However, an increase in filter size or changing the shape for packaging can have negative effects. The filter itself can block air from traveling around to other areas of the filter if it's too close to a wall. This reduces the effective size of the filter regardless of it's physical size.
Our approach is to use as large of a filter as possible while leaving as much room as possible around the filter. Using the hood as the lid maximizes the space available. It is important to seal off engine/radiator heat, so we do effectively address that issue as well.
We have incorporated many features in this intake that are a direct result of extensive testing and engine dyno results. With N/A vehicles, all of the "little things" really do make a difference, especially in actual driving conditions.

Last edited by Roto-fab 1; 09-14-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
Holis

Drives: 2014 2SS Convertible
Another happy customer here too, had mine installed on friday and im loving it.

Kudos to roto-fab for an excellent product with top notch instructions and a dynamite sound!
Holis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #33
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_9 View Post
It's great you're getting an imprint from your own setup, but that's not true for most.

I've heard good things about Roto-Fab and I enjoyed reading your write up. To each there own though.
Mine seals perfect and after a long drive you can FEEL the temperature difference so it is working.

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #34
d69chris
Florida C5

Yeah, what they said.........................

Will also try to get video with sound. The improvement there was awesome.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #35
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
another for Roto-Fab.
Like most of you, it took me weeks to decide which CAI to go with, $$ is not an issue but the most important things to me are/were
1. Customer Service!!!!
2. Fit, Appearance, and Product Quality (apperance being subjective but R-F CAI looked best to me)
3. Ease of installation (I didn't want to make cuts or reposition anything to fit a CAI)
4. Feedback from previous buyers
5. Customer Service!!!

I chose Roto-Fab
1. Mike responded to my PM promptly and addressed my questions
2. I found the product and install photos convincing and met my #2 expectation
3. I hate reading instructions! But even a caveman like me could have installed the Roto-Fab CAI without use of the very-well written stock airbox removal and Roto-Fab CAI installation instructions. I have OCD so I read and followed the instructions to the letter, step by step so it took me just over an hour to do the job. I read each step 2x. No cutting, no permanent repositioning of other parts to fit it.
4. People who bought this CAI have the same positive feedback.
5. I mentioned I have OCD. The 90º NPT/Barb fitting didn't quite thread into the intake tube deep enough for my satisfaction (probably ok with the next person) so I PMed Mike about it and what does he do? He immediately sends me a new intake elbow, a new NPT/barb fitting, a new breather hose, and something else extra which is a really really nice bonus!!!! That sir, is nothing less than OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I have no regrets choosing the Roto-Fab CAI and I highly recommend it.

Thank you Roto-Fab!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #36
d69chris
Florida C5

Bump
Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #37
sav1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
We've been involved in a great deal of testing on an engine dyno with enclosed air boxes. Engine dynos are good for this because they take some of the variables out of the equation when testing various designs.
We've learned one general rule-more space around the filter means more power.
We ran box configurations in different sizes, with and without a lid, no lid and a hole cut in the box and finally no box at all. Each time we created more space around the filter, we gained power. If you can install a 2' cube to mount the filter, that's ideal!
With packaging considerations, it's not very realistic though.
The other issue is filter size-generally, bigger is better. However, an increase in filter size or changing the shape for packaging can have negative effects. The filter itself can block air from traveling around to other areas of the filter if it's too close to a wall. This reduces the effective size of the filter regardless of it's physical size.
Our approach is to use as large of a filter as possible while leaving as much room as possible around the filter. Using the hood as the lid maximizes the space available. It is important to seal off engine/radiator heat, so we do effectively address that issue as well.
We have incorporated many features in this intake that are a direct result of extensive testing and engine dyno results. With N/A vehicles, all of the "little things" really do make a difference, especially in actual driving conditions.

This solidifies my Rot fab order. Not only does the RF look good, the gains are decent, and the install looks easy. You can also custom order each part to your liking. Comparing with others.. hennssey looks good, but people are selling theirs on ebay b/c of heat issues, LMR, although great, just doesn't cut it with the look. and Vararam looks like 2 plastic lunch boxes.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #38
d69chris
Florida C5

mmmmmmmmm.....................lunch

I agree +1

LMR's tube pushes through the hole in the box, which will leak more air from eng.comp. The fitment of the box to the wheel well leaves a lot to be desired. Air cleaner a little small.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #39
sav1

If Rf didn't make a unit, I would get the LMR. Then just have it painted.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #40
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
I have a question what about the gap at both corners with this intake that everyone seems to forget about so soon? Doesn't that provide alot of heat from the engine compartment to enter the intake. I would like to see pics showing how big those 2 gaps are and an explanation as to how much this affects the temps.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #41
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
I have a question what about the gap at both corners with this intake that everyone seems to forget about so soon? Doesn't that provide alot of heat from the engine compartment to enter the intake. I would like to see pics showing how big those 2 gaps are and an explanation as to how much this affects the temps.
Are you talking about the corner to the right of the ROTO-FAB text on the right and the corner towards the front of the car? If you look back at my pics in the OP you'll see that I added an additional piece of weatherstripping to that location. It was more for looks to me than anything. I gave it a more finished look.

Trust me, like I and many others have already posted, these areas are adding negligible heat in those areas if any at all. I've checked mine multiple times and gotten other people to feel the heat difference and it is doing what it needs to do. If you are that concerned over these small areas, don't even look at an LMR..........it has no weatherstripping for sealing and it's open all around the plastic airbox they provide.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #42
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
I'm just calling people out about saying it is fully sealed when its not. I hope they will make it in ibm soon.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #43
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
I'm just calling people out about saying it is fully sealed when its not. I hope they will make it in ibm soon.
Look...........it's sealed at the top to the hood..........nobody ever said it was 100% sealed completely. The factory airbox isn't even 100% sealed. The bottom intake behind the radiator doesn't even get close so you know it's sucking in hot engine bay air.

Go get an ADM if that's what you want a 100% sealed system, but the RF is obviously working and producing excellent gains.

And I believe they are powder-coating the RF airbox to multiple colors. You just have to ask for it.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #44
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
so would some one mind explaining to me where the cold air is coming from? think people need to rename it sra for short ram air. i know it makes a diff couse less restrictions but i still dont see where the intake is getting air. i would think its suffering. maybe open the whole on the splash guard and see what that does.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #45
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
so would some one mind explaining to me where the cold air is coming from? think people need to rename it sra for short ram air. i know it makes a diff couse less restrictions but i still dont see where the intake is getting air. i would think its suffering. maybe open the whole on the splash guard and see what that does.
The air is coming from the same location that the factory pickup was getting it, through the grille. This setup allows for more volume of air to the airbox since it's not restricted to the small factory pickup. See pics of removed factory pick-up in OP.

More volume of air in, larger surface area of filtration device = more HP.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #46
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 650 HP Forged Internals-549 HP rear
So how much is one of these powder-coated?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #47
d69chris
Florida C5

The box comes powder coated in a few different colors or they will do custom color match. I got mine in black and had the 2 plastic tube pieces and the box painted to match the car when I had the eng. cover done. They also have a polished alum. tube, but the concern is heat sink with the metal and heat transfer to the air traveling through it. Don't know if it is enough to worry about. Get what you think looks best. This isn't Nascar, where we are trying to squeeze every ounce of HP gain.........right?

Or are we?

Like the post above, the cold air come through the top and bottom driverside grill, to the side of the radiator.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #48
Tanner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just put my Borla S Type mufflers on this weekend and the Roto-Fab CAI. Both projects were real easy. Probably an hour and a half for each. Mostly due to reading and re-reading the directions to make sure I got it right. Nice low rumble now. I didn't hear the cabin drone people are talking about. The wife said it was fairly quiet crusing at 60 MPH or so. But when you hit the gas, she comes alive. As soon as I get the AR long tube headers cats and x pipe in I'll do a video. When everything is on, I'm going to get a tune and tune out the AFM anyway.

I ordered everything from ZZMotorsports (zzcamaro here on camaro5). Fast service, good price and a nice guy.

Sands - Surprise
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #49
Atomic Autosports

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey SS/RS LS3
Hello Mike
We just picked up our new Camaro and started searching for an intake. I know you do quality work and will probably buy a CAI from you. During your testing what gains did you get with your unit?
Jimmy
Atomic Autosports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #50
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Ordered mine a couple days ago. Cant wait to get it.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote