Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #29
d69chris
Florida C5
 
d69chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tequesta, FL
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Scott,

Will post numbers. I believe it will gain 1000 hp and 1005 torque..........just kidding. I had to spend my money on something. Seemed good at the time. If I get a maggie, it will mate up real well.

You all need to stop making me fel bad.....

If you paint it like mine, you get 1000 bitchen points in your own mind everytime you open your hood.
__________________
Ordered 11/08/08....Del. 08/05/2009 Loving every minute of it! Don't hate me because i'm Pretty....
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #30
sav1
 
sav1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
Scott,

Will post numbers. I believe it will gain 1000 hp and 1005 torque..........just kidding. I had to spend my money on something. Seemed good at the time. If I get a maggie, it will mate up real well.

You all need to stop making me fel bad.....

If you paint it like mine, you get 1000 bitchen points in your own mind everytime you open your hood.
LOL, that does look great.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #31
Roto-fab 1


 
Roto-fab 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 14 Stingray
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,809
Roto-fab CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
the Roto-fab seats to the hood, instead of a lid. The intake tube is screwed to the box. It seals across the bottom and up the fender well. The only place left to draw air it the front of the box, where the stock use to, and more volumn coming through the grill. Not sure what a lid adds that sealing to the hood would not.

I don't have a baseline, but am planning on getting my car dynoed this week, if I can find someone that knows what they are doing in my area.
We've been involved in a great deal of testing on an engine dyno with enclosed air boxes. Engine dynos are good for this because they take some of the variables out of the equation when testing various designs.
We've learned one general rule-more space around the filter means more power.
We ran box configurations in different sizes, with and without a lid, no lid and a hole cut in the box and finally no box at all. Each time we created more space around the filter, we gained power. If you can install a 2' cube to mount the filter, that's ideal!
With packaging considerations, it's not very realistic though.
The other issue is filter size-generally, bigger is better. However, an increase in filter size or changing the shape for packaging can have negative effects. The filter itself can block air from traveling around to other areas of the filter if it's too close to a wall. This reduces the effective size of the filter regardless of it's physical size.
Our approach is to use as large of a filter as possible while leaving as much room as possible around the filter. Using the hood as the lid maximizes the space available. It is important to seal off engine/radiator heat, so we do effectively address that issue as well.
We have incorporated many features in this intake that are a direct result of extensive testing and engine dyno results. With N/A vehicles, all of the "little things" really do make a difference, especially in actual driving conditions.

Last edited by Roto-fab 1; 09-14-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
Holis
 
Drives: 2014 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 183
Another happy customer here too, had mine installed on friday and im loving it.

Kudos to roto-fab for an excellent product with top notch instructions and a dynamite sound!
Holis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #33
BlackinBlack

 
BlackinBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_9 View Post
It's great you're getting an imprint from your own setup, but that's not true for most.

I've heard good things about Roto-Fab and I enjoyed reading your write up. To each there own though.
Mine seals perfect and after a long drive you can FEEL the temperature difference so it is working.
__________________
2016 2LZ Z06 Blade Silver

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #34
d69chris
Florida C5
 
d69chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tequesta, FL
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Yeah, what they said.........................

Will also try to get video with sound. The improvement there was awesome.
__________________
Ordered 11/08/08....Del. 08/05/2009 Loving every minute of it! Don't hate me because i'm Pretty....
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #35
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,095
another for Roto-Fab.
Like most of you, it took me weeks to decide which CAI to go with, $$ is not an issue but the most important things to me are/were
1. Customer Service!!!!
2. Fit, Appearance, and Product Quality (apperance being subjective but R-F CAI looked best to me)
3. Ease of installation (I didn't want to make cuts or reposition anything to fit a CAI)
4. Feedback from previous buyers
5. Customer Service!!!

I chose Roto-Fab
1. Mike responded to my PM promptly and addressed my questions
2. I found the product and install photos convincing and met my #2 expectation
3. I hate reading instructions! But even a caveman like me could have installed the Roto-Fab CAI without use of the very-well written stock airbox removal and Roto-Fab CAI installation instructions. I have OCD so I read and followed the instructions to the letter, step by step so it took me just over an hour to do the job. I read each step 2x. No cutting, no permanent repositioning of other parts to fit it.
4. People who bought this CAI have the same positive feedback.
5. I mentioned I have OCD. The 90º NPT/Barb fitting didn't quite thread into the intake tube deep enough for my satisfaction (probably ok with the next person) so I PMed Mike about it and what does he do? He immediately sends me a new intake elbow, a new NPT/barb fitting, a new breather hose, and something else extra which is a really really nice bonus!!!! That sir, is nothing less than OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I have no regrets choosing the Roto-Fab CAI and I highly recommend it.

Thank you Roto-Fab!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #36
d69chris
Florida C5
 
d69chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tequesta, FL
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Bump
__________________
Ordered 11/08/08....Del. 08/05/2009 Loving every minute of it! Don't hate me because i'm Pretty....
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #37
sav1
 
sav1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
We've been involved in a great deal of testing on an engine dyno with enclosed air boxes. Engine dynos are good for this because they take some of the variables out of the equation when testing various designs.
We've learned one general rule-more space around the filter means more power.
We ran box configurations in different sizes, with and without a lid, no lid and a hole cut in the box and finally no box at all. Each time we created more space around the filter, we gained power. If you can install a 2' cube to mount the filter, that's ideal!
With packaging considerations, it's not very realistic though.
The other issue is filter size-generally, bigger is better. However, an increase in filter size or changing the shape for packaging can have negative effects. The filter itself can block air from traveling around to other areas of the filter if it's too close to a wall. This reduces the effective size of the filter regardless of it's physical size.
Our approach is to use as large of a filter as possible while leaving as much room as possible around the filter. Using the hood as the lid maximizes the space available. It is important to seal off engine/radiator heat, so we do effectively address that issue as well.
We have incorporated many features in this intake that are a direct result of extensive testing and engine dyno results. With N/A vehicles, all of the "little things" really do make a difference, especially in actual driving conditions.

This solidifies my Rot fab order. Not only does the RF look good, the gains are decent, and the install looks easy. You can also custom order each part to your liking. Comparing with others.. hennssey looks good, but people are selling theirs on ebay b/c of heat issues, LMR, although great, just doesn't cut it with the look. and Vararam looks like 2 plastic lunch boxes.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #38
d69chris
Florida C5
 
d69chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tequesta, FL
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
mmmmmmmmm.....................lunch

I agree +1

LMR's tube pushes through the hole in the box, which will leak more air from eng.comp. The fitment of the box to the wheel well leaves a lot to be desired. Air cleaner a little small.
__________________
Ordered 11/08/08....Del. 08/05/2009 Loving every minute of it! Don't hate me because i'm Pretty....
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #39
sav1
 
sav1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 556
If Rf didn't make a unit, I would get the LMR. Then just have it painted.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #40
madmaxx18
 
madmaxx18's Avatar
 
Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wichita falls, tx
Posts: 721
I have a question what about the gap at both corners with this intake that everyone seems to forget about so soon? Doesn't that provide alot of heat from the engine compartment to enter the intake. I would like to see pics showing how big those 2 gaps are and an explanation as to how much this affects the temps.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #41
NVMY68SS
Drives #296
 
NVMY68SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smithfield, NC
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
I have a question what about the gap at both corners with this intake that everyone seems to forget about so soon? Doesn't that provide alot of heat from the engine compartment to enter the intake. I would like to see pics showing how big those 2 gaps are and an explanation as to how much this affects the temps.
Are you talking about the corner to the right of the ROTO-FAB text on the right and the corner towards the front of the car? If you look back at my pics in the OP you'll see that I added an additional piece of weatherstripping to that location. It was more for looks to me than anything. I gave it a more finished look.

Trust me, like I and many others have already posted, these areas are adding negligible heat in those areas if any at all. I've checked mine multiple times and gotten other people to feel the heat difference and it is doing what it needs to do. If you are that concerned over these small areas, don't even look at an LMR..........it has no weatherstripping for sealing and it's open all around the plastic airbox they provide.
__________________
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #42
madmaxx18
 
madmaxx18's Avatar
 
Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wichita falls, tx
Posts: 721
I'm just calling people out about saying it is fully sealed when its not. I hope they will make it in ibm soon.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Subwoofer Install with custom box (PICS) Red Hot SS Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 35 12-21-2010 06:21 PM
Mike Norris Motorsports TVS2300 Install w/ A Little Coverage - Pics Inside Mike Norris USA - Southeast 9 08-21-2009 07:21 AM
Any pics of an installed Airaid CAI onechuck Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 1 08-12-2009 09:32 PM
pics of ground effects install arabicame Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 8 05-12-2009 03:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.