Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Caryle Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
Is There A New NightOwl Halo Kit?

We wanted to show everyone the V2 Halo Kit for 2010-2013 RS and 2012-2015 ZL1.

Pre-Sale Thread: NEW!!! NightOwl RGB Halo Kit V2 for 2010-2013 RS + 2012-2015 ZL1

Questions? (other than price...for price, follow the link to the pre-sale thread)
Attached Images

Last edited by Joe@NightOwlLEDs; 11-19-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Joe@NightOwlLEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Even though this is not applicable to me any more, out of curiosity, what are the differences between this and the old halo kit?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Niceun

Drives: 2012 45th edition RS 2LT
So Joe, I have a 2012 RS and will probably get a kit for my car for Christmas I have been on the Night Owl website and it looks like I should get the NightOwl RGB Halo Kit for Camaro but now I'm seeing this kit NightOwl Camaro Halo Kit V2 which is $70 cheaper. I want the system that I can add as much as I want in the future. Which one will do the job?
Niceun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
jgray1978

Judging by the web page, it looks like the 2.0 is a slimmed down version of the original. It does not look like you can hook up SLs such as grille strips to this 2.0 kit nor can you power your DRLs. It's cheaper though. Perfect for someone who just wants to convert their halos.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceun View Post
So Joe, I have a 2012 RS and will probably get a kit for my car for Christmas I have been on the Night Owl website and it looks like I should get the NightOwl RGB Halo Kit for Camaro but now I'm seeing this kit NightOwl Camaro Halo Kit V2 which is $70 cheaper. I want the system that I can add as much as I want in the future. Which one will do the job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
Judging by the web page, it looks like the 2.0 is a slimmed down version of the original. It does not look like you can hook up SLs such as grille strips to this 2.0 kit nor can you power your DRLs. It's cheaper though. Perfect for someone who just wants to convert their halos.
Jgray is right. We made the new kit less expensive, but it does not have any SL ports (for strip lights or our DRL halos) or aux ports (for DRL harness). The V1 kit has never been lower in price and we will be phasing it out. We have limited inventory of the V1 kits. You can add on our SL modules or soon-to-be-released miniSL for the other items, but the sale price of the V1 makes that a less-expensive option for those seeking grille light, DRL halos, or DRL harness.

One additional note: our headlight halo LEDs are driven independently and very efficiently providing not only a low power solution, but also a solution that will allow the LEDs to last longer. Our system incorporates voltage-spike protection for LEDs attached. All cars have large voltage spikes during starting, stopping, and charging the car. This is what causes the majority of LED failures. But because of the way we drive the headlight halos, nothing else can be hooked to these ports.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
Jgray is right. We made the new kit less expensive, but it does not have any SL ports (for strip lights or our DRL halos) or aux ports (for DRL harness). The V1 kit has never been lower in price and we will be phasing it out. We have limited inventory of the V1 kits. You can add on our SL modules or soon-to-be-released miniSL for the other items, but the sale price of the V1 makes that a less-expensive option for those seeking grille light, DRL halos, or DRL harness.

One additional note: our headlight halo LEDs are driven independently and very efficiently providing not only a low power solution, but also a solution that will allow the LEDs to last longer. Our system incorporates voltage-spike protection for LEDs attached. All cars have large voltage spikes during starting, stopping, and charging the car. This is what causes the majority of LED failures. But because of the way we drive the headlight halos, nothing else can be hooked to these ports.
So after the v1 Kit is phased out you won't be able to add your drl halos?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
jgray1978

DRL halos are essentially SLs. On the v1 HP module, you could run two DRL halo rings on the two SL ports. With the v2, those SL ports will be absent from the HP module as a cost cutting effort to allow an easier entry into the NightOwl world. DRL halos will continue to be easily powered and managed through your NightOwl master controller via adding an SL module which the v1 SL module allows for 4 SLs(grille strips or halo rings) as welll as control of 4 single color circuits (such as the DRLs themselves, side makers, etc) with optional aux drivers.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
So after the v1 Kit is phased out you won't be able to add your drl halos?
Quote:
DRL halos are essentially SLs. On the v1 HP module, you could run two DRL halo rings on the two SL ports. With the v2, those SL ports will be absent from the HP module as a cost cutting effort to allow an easier entry into the NightOwl world. DRL halos will continue to be easily powered and managed through your NightOwl master controller via adding an SL module which the v1 SL module allows for 4 SLs(grille strips or halo rings) as welll as control of 4 single color circuits (such as the DRLs themselves, side makers, etc) with optional aux drivers.
Thanks jgray, you are right on. Additionally, we are just about to release our new miniSL module as well, which is a 2-port version. It almost looks identical to the new miniHP that we use for the V2 Halo Kit.

We did want to lower the entry point, and although the majority of V1 sales included grille light and DRL harness, there were some sales that were just the headlight halos, with no intention to do anything more. V1 also required a lot of labor to manufacture, and this new V2 solved both issues.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Niceun

Drives: 2012 45th edition RS 2LT
So do I get the V2 or the V1 before its gone.
Niceun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceun View Post
So do I get the V2 or the V1 before its gone.
At the current Black-Friday Sale pricing, V1 will be lower if you want two additional SL ports for DRL Halos.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
jgray1978

Did someone say DRL halos?
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Cool I would love to get a mini SL kit this winter. I have been so busy, I still have yet to install my DRL HALOs I got back in May
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
jgray1978

Are you discontinuing the V1 SL modules?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Are you discontinuing the V1 SL modules?
Our SL Module is our biggest seller, and is our "workhorse". We have been working on an update for it, which is not ready yet. It will still be 4 independent SL ports and 4 aux ports, so that won't change. But when it is released, they will replace the current model, which is priced at a pretty good deal right now.

We are adding a new miniSL, which will be 2 SL ports, and these will come completely waterproof with waterproof connectors attached. This is really geared towards our new "DIY Series" line where you can order custom length light strips, and extension cables, and everything is plug and play.