Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Dans2SS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Sevice Stabilitrak

I did do a quick search on this but didnt' see the same symptom. I would have kept searching but I'm finding so much info on here I easily get sidetracked.

I've noticed my car on occasion pops up a 'Sevice Stabilitrak' light on initial start up. It seems to be hit or miss. Once car is running there are no service light and the onstar diag picked up nothing. The Onstar tech said there are 2 systems that might cause this. One monitors load shift and the other monitors the steering wheel positioning. I've been trying to monitor the position the car is parked in and where the wheel is pointed when I start her up. I'd like to take as much info in as possible to the dealer so they don't have to over think it and spend days driving it around town for me.

I haven't totally tied the 2 together but there have been a few times the wheel locks in a way I can't turn the key so I have to pull it to unspring the wheel. I'm trying to catch if that is when the light pops up too. But like boiling water when I'm watchign it it does nothing.

Was curious if anyone else noticed this in their car. I know my 06 GTO used to pop ABS lights on start up an that was tied to the battery not being fully charged. I'm wondering if GM just has too much electronics for the size battery being used.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
The same thing has started to happen to mine in the last couple of days. On startup the "Service Stabilitrack" shows up in the DIC but no other service lights come on.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
ozman2005

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yep, same thing has happened to mine since I got it. Only pops up every once in a while at start-up, but goes away within seconds and no other lights illuminate. I'm gonna leave it alone until either the message stays on or one/both of the orange lights stay lit. Traction control seems to function perfectly fine at all times, so maybe just a little programming gremlin

Only 280 miles on my car at this point, and my car is always parked in a level garage with the wheels straight.
Delivered 7.7.09

2010 Mazda3
ozman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
mine has come up one time when I was getting it tuned

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Dans2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
mine has come up one time when I was getting it tuned
AWESOME!! Does that mean my car is self tuning? That would save me a tone of money.

I should also check it when it hasn't been started in a day or two. I had to stop using auto lights onthe GTO becasue the battery seemed to be weak after a couple days not running.

Well at least I'm not the only one seeing this.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Levis

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
This happened to me around 1000km i took it in to the dealership and had them hook it up to the their system. They told me that there was no problems with the stabilitrack and I shouldnt worry. They also told me that if it ever came on while driving to pull over turn off the ignition, get out wait 1 min and get back in. If it still stays on then call onstar. (Same thing the owners manual says) . This is not the case though since it only sometimes comes of briefly when i start her up. (If im lucky to catch it cause it only stays on for a second or 2.)

The problems i have had though is when i do launch (about 6-7 times so far) 2 things have happened

1. two times the clutch stayed depressed after i popped it , and i smelled a bad clutch burning smell afterwards. Not cool!

2. 2 times the rev limiter of 4500 didn't engage and it shot up into the high 5000's.

Iv'e really only had like 3 successful launch's as i am afraid of GM saying i was to hard on the clutch. I am taking it in again next week to have them look into this more.
I'll keep you posted as to what i learn
Levis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Evokatana

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans2SS View Post
I did do a quick search on this but didnt' see the same symptom. I would have kept searching but I'm finding so much info on here I easily get sidetracked.

I've noticed my car on occasion pops up a 'Sevice Stabilitrak' light on initial start up. It seems to be hit or miss. Once car is running there are no service light and the onstar diag picked up nothing. The Onstar tech said there are 2 systems that might cause this. One monitors load shift and the other monitors the steering wheel positioning. I've been trying to monitor the position the car is parked in and where the wheel is pointed when I start her up. I'd like to take as much info in as possible to the dealer so they don't have to over think it and spend days driving it around town for me.

I haven't totally tied the 2 together but there have been a few times the wheel locks in a way I can't turn the key so I have to pull it to unspring the wheel. I'm trying to catch if that is when the light pops up too. But like boiling water when I'm watchign it it does nothing.

Was curious if anyone else noticed this in their car. I know my 06 GTO used to pop ABS lights on start up an that was tied to the battery not being fully charged. I'm wondering if GM just has too much electronics for the size battery being used.
I was getting that error about once every three errors I got on mine. After 2 weeks they determined a cell in the battery was dead. They ordered another battery and I picked the car back up on Friday and she starts every time with NO errors.
Evokatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
it's came up on me about 5 or 6 times since I've owned my car too , I've ignored it I don't think it's worth worrying about . It would stay on if it was real , it probably just doesn't turn on for a second when you start the car
Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
jayson71

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
Same thing here, I was actually running the car in the competetive mode a few minutes before the ligh came up. I thought I broke the car. Also, nothing from onstar. Has not repeated the error.
jayson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
Careful about taking it to the dealers...you'll find they need a part that's getting put into hundreds of cars a day @ the factory...but isn't available through parts ordering...then you'll be driving a Malibu for a week with no end in site, like I am!!!
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Dans2SS

Only seen it on mine 1 time since I started this thread.

maybe bringing attention to it made it shy.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Cmurf_SS
"SLOMARO"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Happened on mine right after 1320' launches.. hasnt happened since...

Dyno'd before VARARAM TUNE unit at 390hp
Cmurf_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Cam10RS

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
? it might be a sensor or a loose wire connection, I had this on my BMW and they found a bad rear sensor. My light would do the same thing, and when on a rough road it would flicker on and off.
3100, Order available to sequence
3300, Order scheduled for production
3400, Order broadcast-- 09/14/09
3800, Order produced. VIN# 9/22/09
4000, Available to ship
4104, Bailment Invoice
4200, Shipped
4300, Intermediate Delivery
4B00, Bayed
5000, Delivered to the dealer. 9/27/09
6000, Delivered to the customer. 9/29/09
Cam10RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Dans2SS

Mine isn't doing it when the car is running. its on initial start up the 'service stabilitrac' light will basically flash and then goes away.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Dre2216

Drives: 1SS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans2SS View Post
Mine isn't doing it when the car is running. its on initial start up the 'service stabilitrac' light will basically flash and then goes away.
This was one of the warning messages that I got right before my starter stopped working. See my other post in this forum. Don't want to scare anyone, but just something to be aware of.

NKKV6J---2G1FS1EW4A9134727
SLP LM II

2/26 - Car Back From Dealer!
Dre2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
Dans2SS

Saw your thread. Good info. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Mike TexaSS

Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levis View Post

The problems i have had though is when i do launch (about 6-7 times so far) 2 things have happened

1. two times the clutch stayed depressed after i popped it , and i smelled a bad clutch burning smell afterwards. Not cool!

2. 2 times the rev limiter of 4500 didn't engage and it shot up into the high 5000's.

If your popping the clutch. You need a drivers lesson. Ive been beating on my 454 camaro since day one. Ive had zero problems with the clutch or transmission. My car dyno's 572 rwhp and 542 rwtq to the tires. The camaro clutch is a z06 clutch. Ive had customers make 750 rwhp on the stock z06 clutch.
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 1968 & 2010 SIM 2LT/RS Born 041509
I've had the problem since I brought it home. I took it to the Dealership and they said not to worry about it unless it stays on all the time. If it is not on all the time, they can cannot pull a code from the system and OnStar will not catch it either. It does still appear from time to time.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #19
VegasSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM/IOM
Service stabilitrack

I have had this service stabilitrack light come on one time at start up. It only flashes up for a second so it is possible that it has happened more and I just missed it. I took the car to the dealer and they pulled a code from the car which indicated that a low battery voltage was detected which caused the electronic brake control computer to throw the service stabilitrack light. They said that my battery was fine.

Just a fluke or is something going on causing an intermittent low battery voltage at start up or when the car is off?

On a separate note in the 2 months and 1500 miles I have owned the car I have had the drivers door window fail to index properly 9 times. All when the car was off. 7 times it didn't go up when I shut the door and 2 twice it didn't go down when I opened the door. I haven't let the dealer explore this issue because I am always able to fix it by following the instructions in the manual on resetting the window. I am not sure that I want them chasing an unknown problem in my door. FYI the manual says that the windows may need to be reset if there is a low or dead battery situation.

Are the two issues related?
VegasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
Dans2SS

I've been watching. Seems I get the pop up for this when I flip the key quickly and let it auto start. Sorry I'm not sure what to call it. basically when you turn the key you don't hold it to crank.

If I push it all the way and hold it until I start to hear the motor turn over and then let off. I don't get the the service stabilitrac
Old 10-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #21
608RS

Drives: 2010 RS Victory Red
this happened to me tonight. was a little slick out and traction kicked in hard and "service stabilitrack" kicked on but went away? i'll call my dealership Monday and see what they say. i have more factory paint chipping anyway they can take care of that too
Old 03-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #22
ChuckBuSSter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I had the same issue when I picked my car up today. They took the car to the service department and said it was caused by the steering wheel angle sensor. They had to order the part. It should be in next week.

A bit of a bummer but the car is still driveable.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
SirPhobos1
Mean Machine!

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
I get this message every now and then as well. I haven't paid attention to if it's when I flick the key or hold it to turn it over, but if it's not on all the time, I won't worry about it until I'm due for regular maintenance.

Mine's only three days old with 200 miles on her...
SirPhobos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #24
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Mine does it too, more back when it was cold outside. I have checked it for codes, but none logged. My Onstar Email that I get also listed no codes or problems. I am a tech with heavy trucks and I specialize in digital electronics. With everything basically computer controlled and all components connected together through CAN datalinks there will be times when not all the modules are booting up and communicating at the exact precise same time. It is probably just an anomaly where there is a communication delay only at start up between the Stabilitrack module and something else causing this warning. I'm not worried about it. As far as getting it looked at, I would wait till the warning comes on and stays on.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #25
SirPhobos1
Mean Machine!

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
I've held the key when starting the car, and I have yet to see the message pop up. It must have something to do with "flicking" the key to electronically start vs. holding until it cranks over.
SirPhobos1 is offline   Reply With Quote