Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
How to protect against paint fading.

Hey everyone. I live in west Texas. We get lots of sun, high temperature and dust. My previous cars have all suffered from paint fading (looks like clear coat flakes up, gets crusty and paint no longer shines). I'm preparing for my camaro to come in and want to make sure I can keep her beautiful as long as possible. I was wondering:

A) What is the major cause of paint fading.

B) How can you protect your car from paint fading if you cannot garage the car for most of the day.

C) Remedies once fading begins.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Timberline

Drives: 2010 SS/RS,LS3,M6,VR
Only drive it at night.

A) neglect
B) Wash & Wax regularly and religiously
C) Step B will prevent step C

Seriously, all you can do is wash and wax it regularly so it will have protection from the eliments. Paint problems usually start when the vehicle is neglected...once the new wears off so does caring for the car like it was new.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Simple answer; Protect the paint with a very good quality wax/polish.

The paints used today are far superior to the paints used a few years back. If you do the "simple things", ie; keep it clean and polished, you'll be fine.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
I never had that problem and I have been in Houston, Texas about 30 years. I think you are neglecting to keep it protected because if you do it will not fade. If you live where you park it uncovered then you make double certain you keep it waxed. Second, keep it washed as the air here is way up there on the national rating of bad air. I wash mine at least once -twice a week.
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
+100 to what everyone else has said.

If you use a HIGH QUALITY modern paint polish, it will also have UV blockers.

For example, Zaino Z2 has a UV40 rating for blocking UV rays from the pigment in your paint.

Like I always tell my Son -- If you take care of something, it will take care of you.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I agree with above posts. Clay bar and apply quality polish and wax products at least 2 times per year or when water stops beading, time to clay bar, polish and wax.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Thanks for the responses guys.

I never was really into the whole taking care of cars thing since my last couple were not sexy beasts. I mean, I washed my cars about every week but only waxed and polished maybe twice a year.

I have been taking care of my current car by washing and waxing more often. Parking in a parking garage at work helps tons too.

Since I don't have a garage at home I will make double certain I wax this baby very often... when it gets here.

Thanks.