Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2017, 12:28 AM   #1
Gasoholic

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 SS LS3 M6
Vararam review

I installed my vararam intake tonight. Honestly I just don't care for it. It doesn't seem to fit well. Puts pressure on the condenser. And, in my opinion it doesn't look very nice.
The theory is good. Just the way its made and the way it fits. Not something I want on my car.
I decided to take it off and send it back.
Live and learn I suppose.
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:23 AM   #2
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Its not an easy install for sure compared to other designs. Mine doesnt really touch the condenser. Ive taken mine off and on alot over the past 2 years with changing TBs.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
I second what Bo says, I never had a problem with condenser. The finish of the plastic is not as flashy as the side mounts, true.

Function is second to none though, the best inlet air temps no matter what the climate, and proven performer.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
while i absolutely thing they cheaped out on mounting style, i love the thing. doesnt push on the condensor at all. You mightve skipped the step where the black condensor tab needs to be removed.
Leo72793 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
Gasoholic

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 SS LS3 M6
That's interesting. Maybe I didn't have it in there right. But I did a lot fiddling with it to try and make it fit better and no matter what I did that plastic scoop rides on the condenser core. Sort of looks like that's the way it was designed to fit. As in sandwiched between the upper support and condenser core. Condenser cores are pretty weak by nature.
I could remove the scoop. Its only attached with 2 bolts. If the scoop wasn't there it would definitely fit much better.
Even then though, tilting the radiator and condenser back leaves a gap around the top sides of the cores. And I don't care for that. Seems like it would have an effect on air flow through the radiator and condenser cores.
The other issue is the top radiator mounts. The instructions say to flip them around, but when you do that they don't fit right due to little knobs on the top of the radiator.

IDK, like I said it seems like a good theory, just they didn't engineer it well. The fit and finish is poor. Looks cobbled and cheap.
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Bo White

I just wrapped mine in DEI heat tape and new blanket on top of the radiator.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Where did you find that blanket? I also did the tape but yours seems to be holding onto the intake much better than mine. How did you prep yours?

OP: As far as the gap between the radiator and the radiator support regarding cooling, I haven't noticed any issues or lack of cooling. I did add the 2014 hood vent though and that has helped hold cooler temps. I wouldn't worry about damaging the condenser. I have had two different Vararams on my car over 4 years (a few months were spent using the ADM Race CAI) and have had no problems.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Bo White

I used Clorox kitchen cleaner with a brush in hot water on both pieces. It was nasty lol. I just done it saturday so time will tell if it stays. I got the tape and blanket off ebay.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #9
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
I used Clorox kitchen cleaner with a brush in hot water on both pieces. It was nasty lol. I just done it saturday so time will tell if it stays. I got the tape and blanket off ebay.
Sweet I'm gonna try that when more of the tape comes off and I can imagine how nasty it was! These intakes seem to collect dirt and dust. Maybe I'll use the gold tape next time... it adds whp right? lol
Old 07-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
Bo White

Dont know about all that lol but they do get nasty.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
bayarea408

Drives: 10' 2SS RS L99
When i first bought one i was VERY unhappy with the fit and finish of the actual product, contacted the company, expressed my complaint and got a new to exchange unit. That intake was not perfect either but, better...

In regards to performance, it was a good intake. But i agree the design could have used a little more R&D. Something as a means of more securely holding the radiator in its new found position without trying to "Mcgyver" the oem gear with long bolts. Little pricey for what you get versus what you expect to get.

I got asked once "did you make this?" lol
Old 07-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #12
Bo White

I dont mind the mounts. I like simple stuff like flipping the mounts and using longer bolts. It works but some fancy mounts would be nice I suppose.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
That is exactly what I want to do to mine.

Did you happen to measure the before and after idle IATs? Kinda curious how well it combats soak at idle.

Quote:
I dont mind the mounts. I like simple stuff like flipping the mounts and using longer bolts. It works but some fancy mounts would be nice I suppose.
I think there is a thread or 2 around here of some guy that was making custom mounts for this. I will try and find it.
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic Camaro 2SS/RS L99 - Texas Speed Longtubes (Catless), Summit X-Pipe, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle Back (w/MBRP GFX Tips), Vararam OTR CAI, Granatelli wires/AC Delco 41-110 Plugs, 160* Stat, LED DRL/Harness, Vitesse Throttle Controller, STOP-TECH Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors w/Street Pads, ZL1 Leather Steering Wheel - Tuned by DynoSteve
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #14
Bo White

It didnt help with stationary idle heat really but it cools off alot faster once I move. Even walking speed it drops quick compared to before.