Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-10-2017, 02:34 AM   #1
Quicksilverman

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
Arrow Common issues/problems with the L99 engine?

Hi everyone I am considering a 10-15 Camaro SS A6 automatic and I want to know what are the common issues/problems or failures with the L99 engines? What issues/problems have you had with your 10-15 Camaro SS A6 automatic? What are the best upgrades to do to avoid failures on these cars? I really like the 10-15 Camaro SS but I don't like the AFM. Your knowledge and experiences are much appreciated thank you. I don't know if I should get the factory warranty or not?
Quicksilverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:19 AM   #2
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Above is a link to the "problem" section of the forums. Browsing around there will give you a good idea of problems people are having with their rides. The 5th gen platform is overall a strong one so not too many pertinent problems exist.

If you do decide to go with the factory warranty, know that you will be stuck with AFM as the only way to get rid of it is by tuning it out.
493HP/431TQ | Night Fury camshaft • Cold Air Inductions intake • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Longtubes • Stainless Works retro catback • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Instagram | YouTube | Build Thread
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
lownslowss

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Lifters. Afm. Dod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
You can get rid of AFM with a Range device. Just remember to remove it if the car sits for 3-4 days as it will drain the battery. They pop up in the Marketplace for around $100.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Drive On Demand is Active Fuel Management. ...And it's lame.

Edit: Displacement On Demand*

Last edited by Junior; 05-10-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
You won't read much on here about L99 problems at least that I have seen. Yes the AFM lifters are its weak point but if you read here the problems with them are extremely rare. The Range device as noted can turn AFM off without affecting warranty.

Many of us L99 owners are tuned including the trans which turns the car into an animal... But that basically voids the PT warranty so that should only be done at your own peril.

Having said that screw the extra warranty and tune the L99! Best mod for the money hands down.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
that's displacement on demand , and its problematic at best with the lifters being different and in the valley pan the electric actuators that make the lifters oil be diverted mostly so they don't pump up...and the cam phaser for the VVT along with solid stem intake valves keeping the RPM lower for redline and the cam and compression being slightly different are some of the biggest differences.... Along with the trans needing a tune....
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
that's displacement on demand
Yeah, I must have been thinking about driving...
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 - Bumblebee
had my L99 for 47000 miles now, not a single issue, you can see my mods in my singature

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
that's displacement on demand , and its problematic at best with the lifters being different and in the valley pan the electric actuators that make the lifters oil be diverted mostly so they don't pump up...and the cam phaser for the VVT along with solid stem intake valves keeping the RPM lower for redline and the cam and compression being slightly different are some of the biggest differences.... Along with the trans needing a tune....
Christian, I always value your opinion on these cars/motors. One of the reasons I run the Range, besides the sound with my beautiful Borla exhaust, is I had heard keeping the car out of AFM is better for the motor. Reading your post it seems to confirm that. Am I correct?
Old 05-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #11
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
129,000 miles on mine with no mechanical problems. Tuned and full exhaust shortly after I bought it. Cammed it at about 127,000. Stock valvetrain looked excellent for its age.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote