Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
ssinvab

Drives: Buying
Tips on ordering

I am hoping to get out and place an order for a 2SS here shortly. Need to get definitive on color and other things. Any tips on the ordering process? Thanks.
ssinvab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Visit chevy.com build your own and study up right here. make sure your dealer has an allotment and welcome to the site.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinvab View Post
I am hoping to get out and place an order for a 2SS here shortly. Need to get definitive on color and other things. Any tips on the ordering process? Thanks.
Don't sign up with a dealer for over MSRP and insist that they can get your car to "2000- ALLOCATION" in a week or two. If not try another dealer.
Also, don't forget to consider Summit white.
Attached Images

myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
BalogUK
THE architect.

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
patience... lots of patience.
#34122 EMPTIED, AT YARD ON 8/26/09; Delivered 9/07/09
MODS: Borla ATAK Cat-Back GFX (#140378), 35% Ceramic all-around, CAI, Inc. Intake w/ Scoop, Hurst Short Throw, Heritage Grille, GM Dove Tail, Laser Interceptor Triple v8.9, Passport Max, Pfadt ZL Stage 2
BalogUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
CloudXTC

Drives: 1LT|RS|SIM|M6|BA Stereo
make sure you can get your deposit back also if anything goes wrong

1LT | RS | M6 | SIM | BA Stereo
1000 - [07-23-2009] Order Made at dealer
1100 - [08-04-2009] Preliminary order accepted
2000 - [08-25-2009] Accepted by GM
3000 - [09-01-2009] Accepted by production control TPW = 10-05-2009
3300 - [09-28-2009] Scheduled for production
3400 - [10-01-2009] Broadcast - Being Built
3800 - [10-13-2009] Produced - Built- VIN 2G1xxx54917
4200 - [10-19-2009] Shipped
5000 - [10-19-2009] Delivered to the dealer
6000 - [10-20-2009] Delivered to the customer

CloudXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
Get everything in writing.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
I know everyone has hard-lines, stiff necks, and bad experiences - Believe it or not, there are some good people out there to work with. Try building some rapport with the Sales Manager. No real need to talk to a salesman - all he/she needs is a sale to make his/her commission. No offense, but...

The deal isn't going to be closed until the car comes in - so ask to speak to the "Sales Manager." He/She is usually your GM Direct-Connect to the Ordering System. This is the person that will order your car with your adjustments. This is also the person who understands WTF a Bench Work Order # is, when and how allocations work, and what happens and where!! Some, not all, but some salesman do not understand those codes and jargon.

Understanding the process is half the battle for you. Once you know what you want and how - pretty easy decision if your ordering a 2SS - the only things you're missing is color scheme, Sun Roof, GFX, BA System and accessories to order at the parts shop - and of course Manual or Auto.

Color is personal preference really, there are many threads to discuss that in the Official Color Thread.

All your options, view them here.

Once your Sales Manager has typed everything into the ordering system, they are now able to print out a 6 page report of everything you just put in the system. Have that reviewed before you leave for accuracy, get the business card of your Sales Manager, set a follow-up date to discuss your Bench Work Order # and Status Codes. You can view those here.
Straight up, ask them, "How often can I call you to request an update on my order?" This will set the tone for your future discussion.

Honestly, don't apply so much pressure - let them do their job - ask for specific things and be clear - don't beat around the bush. Hell, don't just walk in and expect them to bow to you, honestly, they have a schedule, things to do, other customers - set an appointment so they can give you the time you deserve.

Remember one thing - you are the customer. Be up front and courteous, and they will be up front and courteous.

No I'm not a dealer, I'm a Soldier in the Army. ...you gotta know how to talk to people rather than just expect it to work the way you want it to.

...my .02 cents. Good Luck and Welcome to Camaro5.com!

Camaro5 Fest 2010 Panogram Photo of the Host Hotel
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie13 View Post
I know everyone has hard-lines, stiff necks, and bad experiences - Believe it or not, there are some good people out there to work with. Try building some rapport with the Sales Manager. No real need to talk to a salesman - all he/she needs is a sale to make his/her commission. No offense, but...

The deal isn't going to be closed until the car comes in - so ask to speak to the "Sales Manager." He/She is usually your GM Direct-Connect to the Ordering System. This is the person that will order your car with your adjustments. This is also the person who understands WTF a Bench Work Order # is, when and how allocations work, and what happens and where!! Some, not all, but some salesman do not understand those codes and jargon.

Understanding the process is half the battle for you. Once you know what you want and how - pretty easy decision if your ordering a 2SS - the only things you're missing is color scheme, Sun Roof, GFX, BA System and accessories to order at the parts shop - and of course Manual or Auto.

Color is personal preference really, there are many threads to discuss that in the Official Color Thread.

All your options, view them here.

Once your Sales Manager has typed everything into the ordering system, they are now able to print out a 6 page report of everything you just put in the system. Have that reviewed before you leave for accuracy, get the business card of your Sales Manager, set a follow-up date to discuss your Bench Work Order # and Status Codes. You can view those here.
Straight up, ask them, "How often can I call you to request an update on my order?" This will set the tone for your future discussion.

Honestly, don't apply so much pressure - let them do their job - ask for specific things and be clear - don't beat around the bush. Hell, don't just walk in and expect them to bow to you, honestly, they have a schedule, things to do, other customers - set an appointment so they can give you the time you deserve.

Remember one thing - you are the customer. Be up front and courteous, and they will be up front and courteous.

No I'm not a dealer, I'm a Soldier in the Army. ...you gotta know how to talk to people rather than just expect it to work the way you want it to.

...my .02 cents. Good Luck and Welcome to Camaro5.com!
Nice writeup and thank you for your service.

Short and sweet synopsis:

1) Know EXACTLY what you want BEFORE you walk in the door- especially including the price. Use Chevy.com to build your car as Rookie so aptly suggested. Whatever price you and the dealer agree upon, get in writing from the Sales Manager- not the salesman.

2) If a dealer starts talking about "market adjustment" (over MSRP pricing) politely tell him to kiss your ass and find another dealer.

3) If you are eligible for discounts (employee, supplier, USAA, military, college grad, etc) take the time to find a dealer who will accept them. They are out there- just need a little patience to find them. Keep in mind that a dealer does not have to accept ANY discounts; it's completely up to them. If they tell you they will, get it in writing from the sales MANAGER- not a sales"person".

4) Find out up front what the dealer's current monthly CONSENSUS is. That's the total number of cars he and Chevy have agreed he will get to order that month. Then find out how much allocation he has left from the consensus. Allocation is weekly. For example, consensus gave him 15 cars for the month of August. Week one of the month Chevy tells him he can "tag" 2 of his orders and submit them for build. Week two, he got none. Week three, he got 9. Now, in week four, he gets 4. Always find out where you are "in line" AT THE DEALER.
........A) **Don't confuse any of that with your OrderWORKBENCH you will get when you order. When you go in, you will "order" the car through the WORKBENCH system and get a 6-digit confirmation number. Just because you have that number does NOT mean your car has been "officially" ordered and is in line for production. At that point, you are at Event Code 1100. Only when the dealer has allocation available can he "tag" your order and do the actual production submission. That's when you move to Event Code 2000 and officially get in line for production.

5) Most dealerships have an inventory manager who does the actual "tagging" and subsequent follow up. Make that person your best friend. When you know they have the allocation available for your car, BE SURE to review with him or her your entire build before they hit that "send" button to tag and submit your order moving you to Event Code 2000. There are horror stories all over about dealers mis-ordering a car ( somehow losing the RS package, ordering polished wheels instead of standard wheels, etc. ). It's not REALLY common but just the fact that it has happened in a bunch of cases would make me want to totally review the order. After submission, you should move to Event Code 2000 pretty much instantly. At that point, get a NEW copy of your OrderWORKBENCH. It should now show Event Code 2000 and you can sit down and review it fully to make sure what was ordered is correct.

6) Buy a lot of beer for your 6-8 week wait from that point.

Feel free to post additional questions or PM me if you want a specific answer to something. Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #9
ssinvab

Drives: Buying
Perfect

Exactly all the info I was looking for.
ssinvab is offline   Reply With Quote