Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
cybercoaster

Drives: '12 ZL1 AGM
clay bar really make a difference?

After reading these threads about the clay bar and polish of new Camaros, I decided to get a kit to clean my Avalanche while I am waiting on my Camaro. I washed my truck and dried it off. Then sprayed a small area with the lube and wiped the clay bar in a straight line down wards. It seemed to just slide on top of the lube and work like a squeegee drying the lub off. I really didn't see a difference.

I did just half of my hood since it was getting dark. Today I drove around and then had some friends try and guess what side of the hood I cleaned with the clay and polish. They really couldn't tell until they felt it . But I think that was mostly the polish they felt. I couldn't really tell a difference before I used the polish of the sides.

Perhaps it's just because the color of my truck is yellow.

Am I doing something wrong? To much lub? Comments?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
If your car is clean then you dont need it but trust me have you ever seen a new car with rail dust all over it then try and clean it. You will scratch the finish of your new car really badly if you dont use the clay bar. Most times once or 2X a year is all you need to do.Watch the Junkman he really knows his stuff

Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
mamaro

Drives: '10 IOM 2LT/RS M6
I did my hood and trunk the day before I took it in to have the stripes put on. I just couldn't see putting the stripes on if there was any kind of dirt on it, and the clay bar did take off quite a bit of debris. I'll do the rest of the car next week.
mamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
cybercoaster

Drives: '12 ZL1 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
If your car is clean then you dont need it but trust me have you ever seen a new car with rail dust all over it then try and clean it. You will scratch the finish of your new car really badly if you dont use the clay bar. Most times once or 2X a year is all you need to do.Watch the Junkman he really knows his stuff

Ahh! I didnt scrub mine like that! I will try that out on the other side of the hood and see if it brings up anything. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
I clay bar'd my 95 bronco using turtle wax's claybar kit earlier this summer. The results were incredible. It took tons of dirt and grime out of my paint. The truck looks like it was just painted, I get complimented on it all the time
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Clay bars should always be used on freshly washed, clean surfaces. Dirt on the surface could cause scratches, something you won't like to happen. Use with a lubricant to reduce friction between the clay bar and the vehicle's surface.
Work on areas of about two to three square feet. Lightly mist the surface with the lubricant. Glide the clay bar across the lubricated area until finish is smooth and contaminants are removed. When used as directed in the conventional method of polishing, contaminants can be removed from the surface without causing scratches. When used as directed, there is no polishing force applied to the surface while the clay is grabbing the contaminants. Wipe the surface with a clean MF towel and continue in sections until the entire vehicle is complete.
As the bar becomes soiled, simply pull, stretch and refold to expose a new, clean side. When the bar becomes totally soiled (dark colored) discard it. A 2 oz. bar should clean at around 5 to 8 cars. Do not use a bar dropped on the ground or you will pay the price!
Clay bars will not remove scratches, swirls, dull, oxidized paint or restore surface gloss. This only accomplished by polishing the surface after claying.After claying the surface, you have two options. If your vehicle's paint is in like-new condition (good paint gloss and no swirls), you can finish by applying your favorite wax or paint sealant. If your finish shows any swirls or lacks luster, polish with some type of swirl remover or finishing polish and then apply a final coat of wax or paint sealant.

Last edited by Angelo@Autopia; 08-27-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote