Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

USA - California The Golden State

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
2010SSRSM6's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,866
Free Pizza and made a kids night!

Since I've been slacking in my Camaro 5 activies and daily reading I didn't know about the Papa Johns free food deal for today until a co-worker called and said that they were giving a "free slice" to anyone with a new Camaro. My wife hops on the computer and reads the story about the "found" '71 1/2 Camaro Z/28and the free Large Pizza. (What a story!)

Not wanting to cook after a long day's work we cruise over to PJ's and go in for the free food. As we're walking up to the door a kid aproaches us and says he's selling pen's that were decorated to look like flowers to help his mom who lost her job. I didn't have any cash on me so I politely say "no thank you" and make my way in for the free food.

After we ordered the pizza we walk next door to kill some time in Game Stop. As we walk by the kid starts talking about how awesome the Camaro is and how much he really likes it. I say thanks and make my way into GS.

I was kind of annoyed that a parent would get their 8-9 year old kid to pander pen's and make them feel like they have to support their family but that is a topic for another time. After watching the kid try to sell the pen's, the wife and I talk it over and I go out to see if he would like to get a closer look at the Camaro. This kid made my day!

I was so caught up in the kid having to push his hand made flower pen's that I forgot what it was like to be a kid. His eyes got about the size of his fist and he jumped at the chance to get a closer look at the car. After seeing his initial reaction I had to let him sit in her.

I thought the kid was going to cry! He hops in the drivers seat and says that its the most amazing thing he's ever seen over and over and said he woulld live in it if it had a bathroom, of course I had to agree with him. After about 5 minutes of questions and running his hands over every inch of the steering wheel and e-brake lever he climbs out and could bearly contain himself. He tried to give me one of his pen's for letting him sit in the car.

After I told him no, I didn't want him to get in trouble for giving the pen away, my wife found a couple dollars in the bottom of her purse to buy the pen. It was the pure excitement and joy in the kids face that made my night.

After seeing this kids reaction, it got me thinking. How would you guy's/gal's feel about getting together for a cruise to one of the childrens hospitals or center for abused/abandoned kids and giving them a first hand look at something we are fortunate enough to drive on a daily basis?
__________________
Powered by Cunningham MotorSports
2010SSRSM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
tribone
Cruisin' the Caribbean ..
 
tribone's Avatar
 
Drives: Powered by LSX
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Camaroland
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to tribone Send a message via Yahoo to tribone
I'm in!!!!
__________________

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
67camaro99
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 602
That would be great! A few month back when I had proposed a club, one of the objectives was having a mission. With holiday season upon us sooner than we know it, it would be great on a number of levels.
Far as his hawking pens, I'm sure it's not easy for his mom to have him do that. It is a sign of the times. The positives are that he is not "working for food" via a sign, rather is actually working for "food". There is a lesson in that.
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
SeanPlunk
 
Drives: 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 283
I think a charity event would be really cool. If you want other cars involved (Mustangs, Vette's, etc) I would be thrilled to help.
SeanPlunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun
 
Paperer's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas/Oklahoma
Posts: 1,170
That's an awesome idea. Kind of what the bikers do.
__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/paper2302/Siggy.jpg
Paperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
67camaro99
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 602
The Three Amigos!

Camaro, Challenger, Mustang cruise would be Awesome!
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
gabraddock

 
gabraddock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fremont, Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 1,407
True, but amigos? come on really? lol count me in.
gabraddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
2010SSRSM6's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro99 View Post
Far as his hawking pens, I'm sure it's not easy for his mom to have him do that. It is a sign of the times. The positives are that he is not "working for food" via a sign, rather is actually working for "food". There is a lesson in that.
I just don't think its a good idea to drop your 8 year old kid off in front of a shopping center at 8 p.m. on a school night with no parental supervision. I realize that I don't live in the worst of locations, but we just had 2 16 year old girls turn up "missing" on Friday night. There are sick people even in the nicer locations.

I've seen a family park their new GMC Denali in a parking garage and walk to an intersection in San Diego in ratted out clothes holding "those" signs and raked in the cash. I'm not saying that is what he was going through, but I don't think some people let their kids be kids long enough. They grow up fast enough as it is. (off the soapbox)
__________________
Powered by Cunningham MotorSports
2010SSRSM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
2010SSRSM6's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I think a charity event would be really cool. If you want other cars involved (Mustangs, Vette's, etc) I would be thrilled to help.
I'm all for having anyone with a nice car putting a smile on a kids face! God knows there are enough out there that could use one, even if it is only for a short time.
__________________
Powered by Cunningham MotorSports
2010SSRSM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
67camaro99
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I just don't think its a good idea to drop your 8 year old kid off in front of a shopping center at 8 p.m. on a school night with no parental supervision.
(AGREED)

I've seen a family park their new GMC Denali in a parking garage and walk to an intersection in San Diego in ratted out clothes holding "those" signs and raked in the cash.
Thats my point, he was actually Selling his pens... he coulda been Begging for money...
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
67camaro99
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabraddock View Post
True, but amigos? come on really? lol count me in.
**Term Amigos was used losely

But, keep in mind Challengers and Mustangs show up at Camaro5 meets all the time, so are we hosting Rivals?

We even let a challenger lead (which I personally did not like, the fact he was the lead car, I do like the SRT8) us into the John Force get together...
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
SeanPlunk
 
Drives: 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 283
It's be cool if we could each buddy up with a kid and drive up PCH or something with them. The only problem I see would be with the issue of insurance. At the end of the cruise we could finish up at a hospital or something and do a bbq/car show. It'd be cool if it was like a mixed muscle car cruise. I think I could get Mustangs, Vettes, Challengers, and probably some Grand Nationals to go. I'm just throwing out ideas at this point - feel free to ignore me
SeanPlunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
brandotron
I am the internets.
 
brandotron's Avatar
 
Drives: dangerously
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 12,719
good story man. I'd be in if we could put something together. Maybe start at choc hospital and end up at some place on PCH?
__________________
brandotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE
 
Dr Jkel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oxford, Alabama
Posts: 4,461
I agree with alot of these post, and wished I was closer so I could attend. Alot of people seemed to be concerned about getting taken advantage of by unethical people. While I agree it is wise to watch you money, remember that not all people are scammers and as long as you are doing the right thing in your heart that is all that matters.
__________________
MUSTANG...Like Bringing a Hot Dog to a Steak Dinner....There is no comparison.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Gabe
 
Gabe's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/'65 Malibu SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Killa' Cali
Posts: 185
You can count me in if something is put together.
__________________
NMCVBC - CGM 2SS/RS/BLK/A6
(original order date): 06/27/09
3000 (accepted to production): 08/17/2009 TPW
3300 (scheduled for prod): 08/17/09
3400 (broadcast): 08/18/09
3800 (produced): 08/22/09 A9138699
4200 (shipped): 8/24/09
5000 (at dealer): 09/04/09
6000 (del to cus): 09/04/09
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~
 
Hoddi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal ~
Posts: 1,868
Geee, that brought a tear to my eye.
Glad you could make him happy.

I'm in also.
Hoddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise
 
The Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Upland, Ca
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Since I've been slacking in my Camaro 5 activies and daily reading I didn't know about the Papa Johns free food deal for today until a co-worker called and said that they were giving a "free slice" to anyone with a new Camaro. My wife hops on the computer and reads the story about the "found" '71 1/2 Camaro Z/28and the free Large Pizza. (What a story!)

Not wanting to cook after a long day's work we cruise over to PJ's and go in for the free food. As we're walking up to the door a kid aproaches us and says he's selling pen's that were decorated to look like flowers to help his mom who lost her job. I didn't have any cash on me so I politely say "no thank you" and make my way in for the free food.

After we ordered the pizza we walk next door to kill some time in Game Stop. As we walk by the kid starts talking about how awesome the Camaro is and how much he really likes it. I say thanks and make my way into GS.

I was kind of annoyed that a parent would get their 8-9 year old kid to pander pen's and make them feel like they have to support their family but that is a topic for another time. After watching the kid try to sell the pen's, the wife and I talk it over and I go out to see if he would like to get a closer look at the Camaro. This kid made my day!

I was so caught up in the kid having to push his hand made flower pen's that I forgot what it was like to be a kid. His eyes got about the size of his fist and he jumped at the chance to get a closer look at the car. After seeing his initial reaction I had to let him sit in her.

I thought the kid was going to cry! He hops in the drivers seat and says that its the most amazing thing he's ever seen over and over and said he woulld live in it if it had a bathroom, of course I had to agree with him. After about 5 minutes of questions and running his hands over every inch of the steering wheel and e-brake lever he climbs out and could bearly contain himself. He tried to give me one of his pen's for letting him sit in the car.

After I told him no, I didn't want him to get in trouble for giving the pen away, my wife found a couple dollars in the bottom of her purse to buy the pen. It was the pure excitement and joy in the kids face that made my night.

After seeing this kids reaction, it got me thinking. How would you guy's/gal's feel about getting together for a cruise to one of the childrens hospitals or center for abused/abandoned kids and giving them a first hand look at something we are fortunate enough to drive on a daily basis?
Great story man. That sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro99 View Post
The Three Amigos!

Camaro, Challenger, Mustang cruise would be Awesome!
This would be insane!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddi View Post
Geee, that brought a tear to my eye.
Glad you could make him happy.

I'm in also.
You join everything
__________________
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
lakers171
SoCal MAYHEM
 
lakers171's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS IBM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hawthorne, Ca
Posts: 2,834
i am always down for a good cause. i have a projector and a screen maybe movie night? transformers
__________________
lakers171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless
 
Iwantone2's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC Cali
Posts: 9,731
If it's to bring happiness and joy to somebody who really needs it...I'm in.

Shoot, even if it was to exact revenge on somebody, i'm in
__________________
Iwantone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
ELA205
SoCal MAYHEM
 
ELA205's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS BLK/BLK
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,420
I'm in.......anything for the kids!
ELA205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
Buitre
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
Buitre's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS AUTO
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: LONG BEACH, CA
Posts: 211
I'm in!
Buitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #22
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
2010SSRSM6's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,866
Awesome! I'll try to find out who at CHOC, Saint Jude or another childrens hospitals would be able to authorize such an event. It may take a bit of phone tag but I'm off on Friday soooooooo.
__________________
Powered by Cunningham MotorSports
2010SSRSM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
tribone
Cruisin' the Caribbean ..
 
tribone's Avatar
 
Drives: Powered by LSX
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Camaroland
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to tribone Send a message via Yahoo to tribone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Awesome! I'll try to find out who at CHOC, Saint Jude or another childrens hospitals would be able to authorize such an event. It may take a bit of phone tag but I'm off on Friday soooooooo.
Great!! See you tomorrow.
__________________

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #24
SS Mike

 
SS Mike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 798
This is a great idea and I would love to join!
__________________

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #25
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
2010SSRSM6's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,866
I have been out of town for work all week and will try again after work tomorrow to get in touch with the PR guru at the hospitals and see what I can get worked out.
__________________
Powered by Cunningham MotorSports
2010SSRSM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Papa John's Giving Away Free Pizza To Any Camaro Owner Tomorrow! Blue Maro Demon 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 332 02-13-2012 10:29 PM
Got my free pizza, and met a fellow Camaro5'r! Revo1 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 29 08-28-2009 08:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.