Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

1st & 2nd Generation Camaros 1967-1969 Camaros / 1970-1981 Camaro

Old 07-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
onehot2ssrs

Drives: 2010 2SSRS camaro, 67 camaro
need help, starter overheating!

The Starter on my 67 327ci overheats and won't start my car until it cools off. Have headers and mild cam. Anybody have any suggestions.
onehot2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Most people get rid of the heat shield the first time the starter gets replaced. The solenoid heats up because it's close to the headers and doesn't engage. You really have a few options.
1. Install a heat shield
2. Install a high-torque mini-starter
3. Install an external starter solenoid
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
bbardo

Drives: "Modi" son of "Thor"
Starter bushings, particularly the drive end. Very common problem on those starters
Officially "Son #2 of Thor"
bbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
OLD problem. Make certain your connections are tight and all first. Assuming they are....

Several ways to fix it.

GM revised the solenoid spring many years ago by putting in a softer one to address this issue but I would bet the stiff springs are all out of service by now so that is not the issue you have today.

You may have a high resistance in your "start" circuit. The wiring and components are old and can cause a lot of resistance. High resistance combined with added high engine heat will prevent the starter solenoid from working. Headers will add to the problem. The starter solenoid will not have enough power to pull-in the plunger under those circumstances so all it does is "click" but nothing cranks.

You can verify this by using a screwdriver to jump the starter electrical terminals when the car will not start normally. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS NOT IN GEAR AND PUT THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON. Turn the key to the "on position. Touch the screwdriver to the big terminal (where the red battery cable is attached) and the small terminal (closer to the engine block) at the same time. You may see a spark. If the car cranks, you can start it that way.

If that works - you can purchase a mini starter OR just add an electrical relay to solve the problem. Some people like the mini-starter but I prefer the "old school" method that was used back in the day. You wire in a Ford starter relay into the start circuit and use that to bypass all the resistances in the system. It costs maybe $15 and some time.

All the relay does is bypass the rest of the starter circuit so the starter solenoid will get full battery power without the high resistances in the wiring system. The relay needs much less power to pull in as compared to the GM solenoid so it will do it's job even if the resistances are high. The GM solenoid on the starter will get full battery power so it can do it's job even if it is hot. The relay is acting like the "screwdriver" that was used to jump the starter terminals. No wiring harness modifications are required. The thin purple wire that ran from the key switch down to the GM solenoid originally is moved from the GM solenoid "S" terminal to the Ford relay "S" termional. You have to make up the "A" and "B" wires from some stranded copper wire. You can buy 3-4 feet of wire at Home depot you can do a nice job with some crimp terminals. Not hard, cheap, and nothing is cut.

OR just buy a mini-starter.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
DjD
Classic Owner

Drives: 1969 Ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehot2ssrs View Post
The Starter on my 67 327ci overheats and won't start my car until it cools off. Have headers and mild cam. Anybody have any suggestions.
I had the same problem, it's very common. For me it only presented itself at the most embarasing of times... My solution was a permanent magnet starter. GM has been using them on newer models for years. The one I used is said to be manufactured by the same folks as the GM but at a much reduced price. I have not had a single starter problem since replacing mine back in June '07. The last straw came when I was in a cruise at Pismo Beach in front of thousands of onlookers. There was grid lock so I shut down and when they cleared the intersection and got things moving I didn't even get a click. The old screwdriver across the starter terminals by passing the solenoid did the trick and changed the booing to cheers but the egg was still dripping off my chin onto my shirt if you know what I mean...

After some research I found this starter and these guys provided great service...

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/cata...Fcategory%3D47
Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
onehot2ssrs

Drives: 2010 2SSRS camaro, 67 camaro
Thanks for all the great information everyone!
onehot2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
Make sure you have large enough battery cables to supply the amps needed. It takes more amps to turn over a hot starter than a cold one.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote