Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Forrest

Drives: 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engineering Capstone Project. What would you like engineered for Camaro?

So I have to do a capstone project for Engineering at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU - That one flight school). I'm in the general mechanical engineering and CNC Program. Last year was a course on alternate generators and mechanical transfer through means other than Fossil Fuels or EFI/Carb Engines. Same Teacher. Well, Last year, I built a Cold Nuclear Fusion Reactor...and scored an 84% Which is pretty lame considering a made a sun. ANYWAYS, this year is about engine components, and I figured out this dude is a huge camaro nut he said if I can come up with something awesome for the camaro, that camaro enthusiasts all would like, I can actaully get an A this time (BTW, an A on a Capstone project at ERAU is instant transfer into mechanical engineering program basically, I'm still in HS and taking this as an extra course.)
So. My question to Camaro 5, which is the biggest butt-load of Camaro Enthusiests I can think of, is...
What would you like engineered for your car MECHANICAL WISE... A Dove/Duck Tail Spoiler is NOT an answer I'm looking for
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
walls

Drives: Infiniti G37S, Suzuki B-King
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
Forrest,

You have obviously done some reading here if you know the hot-topic is the Dove-Tail Spoiler - - but my wish list includes...

1. Multi-directional seat actuators (vertical up/down, lean/tilt)
2. Hidden-Sunroof (factory extracts to the outside of the roof)
3. Completely redesign the center console arrangement
a. The hand-brake should be on the left side
b. The Short-Throw shifter should be a tad-bit laid back for longer legs
c. Relocate the 4-Pack Gauges (transform them to all digital reads, and place the new bezel arrangements above the center two Air-vents.

Good luck in School - stay focused.

Camaro5 Fest 2010 Panogram Photo of the Host Hotel
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Flux capacitor aside, how about a passenger seat that with easy adjustment for access to the rear seats.

Previous incarnations on the old 2 door Blazer/Jimmy had a cable release that allowed the seat to slide forward when you folded the seat forward.

The GTO had a power seat switch up high on the side of the seat but took like 5 minutes to move the seat forward.

So how about something clever that adjusts the passenger seat forward for easy access to the back seat for passengers or throwing a brief case in the back.

Or a flux capacitor.................that might be the A+
Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
katman

Drives: 2LT Auto RS sunroof
The 3.6 liter V-6 with a turbo with enough power so that when the V-8 has been eliminated due to CAFE gas mileage requirements, no one will miss it. I truly think this V-6 DI could be good for 500+ horsepower and very respectable gas mileage. Good Luck!
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Ammo7
I GOT HER

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs RJT
1.Digital display instead of analog across the front.
2. Built in nav system.
3. an option to keep the v-8 a v-8 and not have it go down to v-4 or v-6 unless desired.
4. a hard top vert. for thoes who like them (not me).
thats all i got.
2000, Order accepted by GM0-8/11/09
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/12/2009 TPW 09/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 08/25/09
3800, Order produced 09/12/09 2G1FK1EJ6A9145958
4200, shipped 09/14/09
5000 vehicle at dealer 09/28/09
6000 vehicle delivered to customer 09/28/09
Ammo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
jayson71

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
A recent development in structural glas allows the shade of the glass to change when an electrical current is applied or removed. Migrate this into auto glass and we have adjustable window tint. You could hide the controls in the center console.
jayson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
stretchfe

Drives: 2SS/RS Black/Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson71 View Post
A recent development in structural glas allows the shade of the glass to change when an electrical current is applied or removed. Migrate this into auto glass and we have adjustable window tint. You could hide the controls in the center console.
... and have a HUD with speed, and rpm indications.
stretchfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson71 View Post
EW. It doesn't work. It just goes opaque. They have it in bentlys or something. I came up with something much better, that UCF Pattented (Bast#&^s) when I did some work for them. Oh, and did I mention that we Beat Safelite's engineers to the punch that had been working on it for 5 years xD
http://mainland.cctt.org/istf2007/product.asp

The probelm with adjustable window tint is that the liquid crystals have a helicular solidification pattern, allowing them to polarize upon contact with electrical current, different currents porduce different colors, but there is no inbetween on and off. Which is the reason you can't see behind your LCD monitor your reading off right now
Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by walls View Post

I knew someone would do it.
My cold fusion reactor produced enough power to run the ERAU electrical wing for 7 hours, with a ball of plasma reaching over 12,000°F

Similar to color in that

And looked pretty close to this, cept mine had a lot more tubing and venting due to my increase in head. Did I mention the magnetic field?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #11
Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchfe View Post
... and have a HUD with speed, and rpm indications.
HUDs aren't new : /
And as much as I love them on my Grand Prix, the mounting consol would take up a lot of the space left, dropping the vision range for the DMV standards and possibly making it a hazard, and convinceing Guardian, Safeglass, or AutoLite to create a HUD windsheild for Camaro Specifications, would mean making a batch of ~250,00 to 500,000 windsheilds to make a profit out of engineering and production of the molds.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
The 3.6 liter V-6 with a turbo with enough power so that when the V-8 has been eliminated due to CAFE gas mileage requirements, no one will miss it. I truly think this V-6 DI could be good for 500+ horsepower and very respectable gas mileage. Good Luck!
I go to ERAU
This is the way to go IMO
Old 08-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie13 View Post
Forrest,

You have obviously done some reading here if you know the hot-topic is the Dove-Tail Spoiler - - but my wish list includes...

1. Multi-directional seat actuators (vertical up/down, lean/tilt)
2. Hidden-Sunroof (factory extracts to the outside of the roof)
3. Completely redesign the center console arrangement
a. The hand-brake should be on the left side
b. The Short-Throw shifter should be a tad-bit laid back for longer legs
c. Relocate the 4-Pack Gauges (transform them to all digital reads, and place the new bezel arrangements above the center two Air-vents.

Good luck in School - stay focused.
I had a 2SS for a while, took it to get painted, Arsonist flamed the palce with my car inside, due to them also being an AmeriGas distributor....
My IOM 2SS that was getting a secret paint job to it got owned...hard...
Allstate (Bless them) Said they're buying me a new car So whenever my mom lets me RE-order it (She NOW thinks i need to save for college) They will pay for it, or re-imburse me.
So 2 is out of the question, considering mine is roasted and gone.
As far as one goes...dont the 2ss and 2LT have those ? Oo
I only drove my car for 15 minutes so I really dont remember
OMFG TOTALLY AGREE WITH A - That really pissed me off -_-
as far as C goes...that would prove to be very interesting...

Thanks for the ideas all.
Keep em comin!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
Forrest

MAybe a working ABL CF door insert considering DSVcustoms is having a hard time
KIDDING so much by the way.
I love your guy's stuff
And when I get my car again you guys will have a lot of business from me considering The dealer Allstate looked at was 5k over MSRP, and i got mine for invoice, so I ahve 7k to play with xD
Old 08-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #15
Forrest

Bump for the sake of having an idea by monday >.<
Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Miniaturize your reactor to fit under the hood of the Camaro and give us a 20+ year refuel cycle.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: EMB 135/140/145+2010 IBM 2SS
How about engineering a lot of the current components out of lower-weight Materials to put the whole car on a diet to shed about 300-400 lbs. Would make for a great presentation, and I know people would be all over it.

Having done the Riddle Run-around myself, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
How about engineering a lot of the current components out of lower-weight Materials to put the whole car on a diet to shed about 300-400 lbs. Would make for a great presentation, and I know people would be all over it.

Having done the Riddle Run-around myself, I wish you the best of luck.
Hmm. That might be a good one.
Whats really big and heavy that could be made lighter. Other than like, the frame?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Hmm. That might be a good one.
Whats really big and heavy that could be made lighter. Other than like, the frame?
The motor.

Design a hydrogen engine that's only bi-product would be water...minimal emissions...6,000hp...

Seriously, using the cold fusion model you previously made, could you tweak it to run a car? ...and how stable would that be? I mean, like getting into an accident wouldn't level an entire 2 or 3 city blocks now, would it? KA-BOOM!

I'd love to see some sort of alternative fuel...turbo E85...

Or, you could always take the safe route and let your instructor try out your new red button...

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
If you're wanting that A..... ya best stick to the topic assigned topic dontcha think?
Fuel is now a direct injection to the cyl, why isn't air?? Would be an interesting engineering study I think.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #21
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
1. Fit a trunk monkey with cybernetic parts.

2. And this is really the more important one...Design an exhaust that makes the v6 sound like a v8. Whoever accomplishes this feat will be using boxes of money for furniture
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Ok, going throw my 2 cents in here, and for what its worth I was accepted to ERAU back in 99 but didn't go due to financial reasons.

Thesis

A 50MPG combined Camaro is possible with todays current (and radical) technologies without any compromise in performance.

You have your goal of a 50MPG combined EPA rating.
The method of using current and radical technologies.
You have metrics in the current performance figures (0-60mph, slalom, hp, tq, etc)

Using the following technologies I think its more than doable (price being the only limiting factor in the real world). Yes diminishing returns will start to get you but I honestly believe its possible to get 50MPG and still have the performance figures the current camaro has.

Technologies-
  1. DI V8.
  2. 6 speed Manual transmission.
  3. Regenerative braking - used to power ALL of the electrics of the vehicle and charge the battery for startups. This leaves the engine to do what it is meant to do, move the vehicle.
  4. Electric water pump (powered by the brakes).
  5. Electric AC compressor (powered by the brakes).
  6. Electric radiator fan (powered by the brakes).
  7. No alternator (job performed by brakes).
  8. Laser charge ignition (Fords working on it atm).
  9. Forced induction - whether turbo/supercharger/compressed (DI).
  10. Refridgerated/cooled charge (why has NOBODY ever looked into this.. we already carry around a compressor?) Has nobody tried Liquid oxygen?
  11. Variable cylinder displacement (afm, dod, whatever you want to call it).
  12. exotic building materials (titanium, carbon, boron, graphite, etc).
  13. Low rolling resistance tires (an engineering feat to get same performance with less resistance).
  14. Engine idle shutdown.
  15. Redesigned differential, there HAS to be a way to more efficiently split the power to the wheels.

Remember the goal would not be to make a 900HP monster, but to increase efficiency while retaining the same performance.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Ok, going throw my 2 cents in here, and for what its worth I was accepted to ERAU back in 99 but didn't go due to financial reasons.

Thesis

A 50MPG combined Camaro is possible with todays current (and radical) technologies without any compromise in performance.

You have metrics in the current performance figures (0-60mph, slalom, hp, tq, etc)

Using the following technologies I think its more than doable (price being the only limiting factor in the real world). Yes diminishing returns will start to get you but I honestly believe its possible to get 50MPG and still have the performance figures the current camaro has.

Technologies-
  1. DI V8.
  3. Regenerative braking - used to power ALL of the electrics of the vehicle and charge the battery for startups. This leaves the engine to do what it is meant to do, move the vehicle.
  10. Refridgerated/cooled charge (why has NOBODY ever looked into this.. we already carry around a compressor?) Has nobody tried Liquid oxygen?
  13. Low rolling resistance tires (an engineering feat to get same performance with less resistance).
  15. Redesigned differential, there HAS to be a way to more efficiently split the power to the wheels.

Remember the goal would not be to make a 900HP monster, but to increase efficiency while retaining the same performance.
My stepbrother is working on the laser ignition. Its pretty interesting. Oh, and Liquid Oxygen? Now. My fusion reacor getting loose would melt a hole in the pacement no doubt, but
MY GAWD MAN!
Ever seen a crash involving liquid oxygen? Woah You need shades for THAT. That stuff will eliminate a whole intersection.

This Marshmellow plant didn't even contain enough liquid oxygen to fuel NASA's rocket. Notice the shockwave by the way.

Yup. That City Block is GONE. But awesome suggestions by the way
Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #24
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
1. I like the idea posted earlier of making things lighter. You asked for suggestions:
a. Suspension components (A-arms, trailing arms, control arms, etc.). Redesigned using titanium and offering camber adjustment for both front and rear (I think Pedders said stock there was none).
b. The rear suspension/differential cradle (I guess that's what you might call it).
c. Gears in the tranny and differential (titanium? Is that even feasible?)
2. A new differential unit that allows for changing of the gears without replacing the entire freaking unit for $2000.
3. DI for the V-8
4. A new, more efficient valve train. I'm surprised after all these years the modern valve train still looks like it does.
5. Something that measures torque and horsepower instantaneously. Maybe something that connects to the driveshaft. With all the fancy, small potentiometers and other instruments that measure force, surely something small and reliable can be implemented somewhere in the drivetrain to give you an instant torque and horsepower reading.

That's about the extent of my creativity, which isn't much, but I tried to keep things somewhat within reason and possibility. Good luck on whatever you choose, and keep is informed!
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #25
walls

Drives: Infiniti G37S, Suzuki B-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post

Thesis

Technologies-
  1. DI V8.

1. DI V8. Already being tested in the concept Escalade.
  2. 6 speed Manual transmission. Pretty sure the Camaro has this one already!
  3. Regenerative braking - used to power ALL of the electrics of the vehicle and charge the battery for startups. This leaves the engine to do what it is meant to do, move the vehicle. How's this going to operate when you're not using the brakes? Like on 200 mile road trips or even 50 mile commutes?
  4. Electric water pump (powered by the brakes). See above.
  5. Electric AC compressor (powered by the brakes). See above.
  6. Electric radiator fan (powered by the brakes). See above.
  7. No alternator (job performed by brakes). SEE ABOVE!? Unless you're making the Camaro an electric vehicle...then you can do all of this stuff from a battery.
  8. Laser charge ignition (Fords working on it atm). This never seemed cost effective to me. It doesn't take a lot of spark to ignite gas and air.
  9. Forced induction - whether turbo/supercharger/compressed (DI). Emissions due to heat suffer a bit when you burn more air and more fuel to produce more power out of a smaller motor.
  10. Refridgerated/cooled charge (why has NOBODY ever looked into this.. we already carry around a compressor?) Has nobody tried Liquid oxygen? Heard of the Hindenburg?
  11. Variable cylinder displacement (afm, dod, whatever you want to call it). Already in use with the L99.
  12. exotic building materials (titanium, carbon, boron, graphite, etc). Not cost effective. Want exotic materials? Buy an exotic car.
  13. Low rolling resistance tires (an engineering feat to get same performance with less resistance). Pretty sure this will never happen. The same Mu K that affects rolling resistance affects grip. And tires will always need to grip.
  14. Engine idle shutdown. Why?
  15. Redesigned differential, there HAS to be a way to more efficiently split the power to the wheels. Engine spins some gears...gears spin a shaft...shaft spins a differential...differential spins the rear wheels. You can shorten distances between these parts or you can make these parts lighter but you can't get rid of these parts. If you want a better solution than a Camaro, they exist in true mid and rear engine cars that cost a lot more.

All that being said, some of these things are possible if you want a 3 million dollar Camaro. Some of these things aren't possible in this realm of physics.
walls is offline   Reply With Quote