Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Polishing Aluminum Rims

Ok...long story short...etched my CCW aluminum rims with the wrong cleaning product a few months back and had to move States. I had no time to clean them until now. I know I can polish them!! I got some mothers aluminum polish which does work...but my hands, elbows...heck my arms hurt... Can I use something like the powerball?? Would this be more time efficient and effective?
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #2
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
Powerball works well. Mother incredible billet polish works great. I used to clean my billets wearing a surgical type blue glove and using it to apply and hand polish. Worked like a charm.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Powerball works well. Mother incredible billet polish works great. I used to clean my billets wearing a surgical type blue glove and using it to apply and hand polish. Worked like a charm.
Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna look into getting the powerball. I cant stand seeing these lil etched in spots on my rims
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
Hey OP, do your CCWs have a clear coat on them?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Hey OP, do your CCWs have a clear coat on them?
No, that's why they got etched. They're Natural finish.

More to come.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
bumble m bee

Drives: 2010 2ss yellow transformers pkg
hi guys just little question , when i try on my wheels the clothe get all black so you re power ball must become all black , and do you do small piece at the time
bumble m bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:17 AM   #7
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I ran aluminum High luster polished wheels they look better then chrome when there polished out, but don't plan on driving more then 100 miles before you need to clean them again and polish. Don't use anything but water and a drop of car wash to clean them. If the etching is too deep you need to sand first to take it out then repolish first try like 2000 or even 3000 grit then a coarser polish and end it with billet polish for perfection.

Anything even dish soap will cause them to oxidize faster. hell just fresh air makes them oxidize.

Never again will I go this route. I spent too much time last summer covered in black oxide from Polishing those rims... joke was on me that's for sure.

I powdercoated them black LMFAO
Once there all polished to perfection, take them to a powdercoater and have them clear them or paint a clear over them. that will make them relatively maintence free.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
bumble m bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by revived View Post
I ran aluminum High luster polished wheels they look better then chrome when there polished out, but don't plan on driving more then 100 miles before you need to clean them again and polish. Don't use anything but water and a drop of car wash to clean them. If the etching is too deep you need to sand first to take it out then repolish first try like 2000 or even 3000 grit then a coarser polish and end it with billet polish for perfection.

Anything even dish soap will cause them to oxidize faster. hell just fresh air makes them oxidize.

Never again will I go this route. I spent too much time last summer covered in black oxide from Polishing those rims... joke was on me that's for sure.

I powdercoated them black LMFAO
Once there all polished to perfection, take them to a powdercoater and have them clear them or paint a clear over them. that will make them relatively maintence free.
did you clean them with mothers before
and what kind of polish did you try
because my wheels are just been renew with no clear coat and no mounted on tires
so i can try a few thing on the Inside out of the wheels so i can not doing something stupid in the facing of the Wheel thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
revived
Vrrrm.

My best advice would depend on what your trying to do to them, and there current condition.

Polishing is really only going to brighten and lightly buff any debris out of the metal.

If you have a scratchor severe etching you may need to sand before polishing.

You can use any polish really but some will cut more then others its like liquid sandpaper one will buff out 1000grit sand marks then use a less coarse to refine the finish and finish.

Mind posting a picture of your issue and it would be easier to help.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
bumble m bee

here the pic like i said they are brand new rebuilt
Old 03-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
bumble m bee

i just want to keep the look but want make some protection to not have break my arm trying to clean them every week , the car sit outside and in summer i go work daily with it with a great smile in my face
Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #12
revived
Vrrrm.

That looks like chrome?

I thought you said aluminum ccws?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #13
bumble m bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by revived View Post
That looks like chrome?

I thought you said aluminum ccws?
that not chrome than ss wheels with clear coat but the repairman called that MIRROR POLISH WHEELS when he ask me do you want clear coat or not ,i was surprise and he send pics by email but Wheel look awesome but to be sure i ask him to send me 1 wheels of each so i can decide ,so when i see the difference i was stunt how they look like chrome so the choice was easy
Old 03-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #14
bumble m bee

sorry with no clear coat