Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts Sportbar
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery All Camaro related pictures, videos and other assorted media.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #26
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
MAGAZINE SPECULATION. God I hate how people take magazines seriously when we know GM hasn't released any price info.

PLEASE STOP TAKING MAGAZINES', ESPECIALLY MOTORTRENDS ARTICLES FOR TRUTH! THEY SAID A FEW MONTHS AGO IT WAS GOING TO HAVE AN LS2!!

:bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk:
Well, I think that the magazines are doing what we are doing here at Camaro5... A ton of what we have is speculation as well...the only difference is that they print the info in magazines that are read my millions of people possibly. I don't know...>>>

Price: We've been told all along that it would be comparable to a similarly equipped Mustang...$27k sounds pretty darn close, doesn't it?? And the top-level V8? Well, if they've used the GT500 as a benchmark...well, then I think the prices they gave were SOMEWHAT close. I'd have put it closer to $39k...but who knows.

Trim: We all agree that there will most likely be a Z28 and an SS...but there are a lot of people here that are speculating which name will be associated with which engine.

Mindz, I'm not trying to undermine what you said...In fact, I think what you said is PERFECT...for everyone, not just magazines (I know you may not actually be saying that).

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #27
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
Definitely think it's a shopped picture, but it does look damn good.

*Starts rethinking the whole black paint issue...again...*
You know I did the same the other day when I got the Saab washed after winter. It looked reeeeaaaalllllyyy nice when clean. Then I drove it today and it had gotten a layer of pollen on it and just wasn't as impressive anymore.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #28
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 11VR2SSA6
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
MAGAZINE SPECULATION. God I hate how people take magazines seriously when we know GM hasn't released any price info.

PLEASE STOP TAKING MAGAZINES', ESPECIALLY MOTORTRENDS ARTICLES FOR TRUTH! THEY SAID A FEW MONTHS AGO IT WAS GOING TO HAVE AN LS2!!

This belongs in my Camaro rumors thread.
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #29
num1panthersfan

Drives: Mazda Rx-8
Looks damn good with that silver bow tie!!
num1panthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #30
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Anyone who thinks a 500hp car will be $35k is nuts. Expect more than GT500 money. I'd be happy wih 400hp reasonably optioned under $35k.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #31
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Anyone who thinks a 500hp car will be $35k is nuts. Expect more than GT500 money. I'd be happy wih 400hp reasonably optioned under $35k.
I won't be happy unless I can get a V8 for under $28,500. Anything higher is taking away from the appeal of the Camaro. The Camaro has always been an affordable, fast car. If GM takes affordable out of the equation, it isn't really a Camaro, regardless of how fast it is. Fortunately, we know that GM is going to consider price very carefully.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #32
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Silver bow ties for me....I have always hated the gold colored ones...I can't stand them on my Silverado....okay, sure, I haven't done anything to change that either, so they must not bother me that much, but this will be my Camaro damnit. It will bother me.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #33
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:

calm down- nobody's taking anything seriously... sheesh -so sensitive- on the other hand, GM did say that the Camaro is going to be a premium priced vehicle.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #34
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
You guys gotta take this into consideration: By the time a magazine goes to press it's articles are already outdated thanks to the internet. The image there is a photoshopped version of a pic taken a couple of months ago. Do you notice that when they cover events that they all happened about two months before? That's because while the story and the information may be somewhat correct AT THE TIME, after it gets edited and published and gets to the newsstand it's already outdated. Magazine journalists and editors really know no more than we do, but they have to put SOMETHING on their pages to give the cavemen who don't have internet access something to read. Therfore they speculate given their current knowledge of the car market, and rumors that they have heard(just like all the rumors WE have heard). It really isn't anybody's fault. Just take the magazine articles with a grain of salt and come here or got to any one of the automotive blogs(jalopnik, autoblog, leftlanenews) to get the most current information on our beloved American icon. Too easy.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #35
ToneyTone

Drives: 07' Sunburst Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I won't be happy unless I can get a V8 for under $28,500. Anything higher is taking away from the appeal of the Camaro. The Camaro has always been an affordable, fast car. If GM takes affordable out of the equation, it isn't really a Camaro, regardless of how fast it is. Fortunately, we know that GM is going to consider price very carefully.
Your thinking of a time where 300+ hp was only available in a V-8, well times have changed. You now will get the same level of performance and hp but out of a V-6. It not too much to ask for people to pay 32k for a 400+ hp V-8coupe, and 40k for a 550 hp monster. Look what folks got for 35k in the GTO and the camaro is better in all ways. I think its one hell of a bargain
ToneyTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #36
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTone View Post
Your thinking of a time where 300+ hp was only available in a V-8, well times have changed. You now will get the same level of performance and hp but out of a V-6. It not too much to ask for people to pay 32k for a 400+ hp V-8coupe, and 40k for a 550 hp monster. Look what folks got for 35k in the GTO and the camaro is better in all ways. I think its one hell of a bargain
It is too much to ask of me as a consumer to take the second or third tier for the price of the next brand's top tier. I'm GM-loyal, so I will of course get the beefy V6 if I must, but how many others would rather get the V8 Mustang, even if it's impotent in comparison? I want my price tag to reflect dominance in performance with competition in price. I'm okay with a few extra dollars, but crossing the $30,000 mark is a very dangerous move for Chevrolet.

Last edited by The_Blur; 05-05-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #37
Omega94

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It is too much to ask of me as a consumer to take the second or third tier for the price of the next brand's top tier. I'm GM-loyal, so I will of course get the beefy V6 if I must, but how many others would rather get the V8 Mustang, even if it's impotent in comparison. I want my price tag to reflect dominance in performance with competition in price. I'm okay with a few extra dollars, but crossing the $30,000 mark is a very dangerous move for Chevrolet.
+1...Amen

Old 05-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #38
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
It is a good bargain, but it's not competitive. (However, you should note that even Bob Lutz admitted the GTO was overpriced.)

Anyways, this is not a price per horsepower deal, though. The L76 and the LS3, for instance, cost about the same to produce. And the LS3 costs less than the LS2 did. So that's not the issue. GM could have just popped the L76 in for the base V8 and called it a day: It would still whoop ALL the competition. But they're choosing to go a step further. That doesn't mean they can abandon pricing it within reach of the Mustang. It won't sell, no matter how much of a bargain it is.

Still, I won't disagree with you. The V6 is VERY impressive!

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #39
ToneyTone

Drives: 07' Sunburst Cobalt SS/SC
Wait I just thought of something. If i'm correct i do remember a fully loaded sticker price of an SS model costing over 30k. And that car had around 325hp I think. The F-bodies will look and feel ancient compared to this 5th gen. so I guess we will be paying for a better and higher quality product.
ToneyTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #40
Omega94

Quote:
Wait I just thought of something. If i'm correct i do remember a fully loaded sticker price of an SS model costing over 30k. And that car had around 325hp I think. The F-bodies will look and feel ancient compared to this 5th gen. so I guess we will be paying for a better and higher quality product.
Yeah, you're right about the price...which is part of the reason that the F-body went on hiatus in the first place (not the whole reason...but part of the reason). So, even though the 5th Gen will be more advanced than the 4th Gens the price will still be on point with a similarly equipped Mustang. This point can't be stressed enough! The Camaro must be priced within a few hundred dollars of a similarly equipped Mustang or it will end all over again. As for the 4th Gens feeling/looking ancient in comparison...to each his own when considering the looks. Yes, the 5th gen looks amazing...but I think my 4th gen looks fantastic...and the 2002 Camaro SS (and ZL1) remain my dream car (SS being attainable...ZL1 being out of reach). As far as the feel...well, the 4th Gens were, and are, excellent...but of course the 5th will better! However, I disagree that the 4ths will feel ancient in comparison...

Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #41
GOT PSI

Drives: SRT-4
A 400+ z28 is what I'm hoping for.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #42
68RS

Drives: '68 327 RS, 2010 2SS/RS
Am I missing something? I saw the pictures with the website and didn't see the silver bow ties. Where are they?
68RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #43
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
You should check out the dealers thread...good and bad dealers...because you shouldn't settle to pay any mark-up, Scott told us never to pay mark-ups. In fact, he said that there are mark-ups "just say NOOOOO!!!!" $27k sounds nice Also...Z/28 may be wrong... However, 400+ HP is more than enough for me too!

I think that the symbols look really good on the Camaro...but I'm still wishing for GM to incorporate the Camaro symbol into the grill...Maybe it can be an option

One more thing! I'm really REALLY glad that the Camaro is making it into magazines again! (especially Motortrend )
I Personally think the Camaro symbol would look terrible on the outside of this vehicle... now if they put it on the Steering wheel we might have some thing, but i think the Exterior of this car should have either gold or silver Chevy badges (I personally hope gold with silver trim). I say steering wheel and possibly embroidered into the headrests for the Red/White/Blue camaro symbol and put the Chevy symbols on the outside...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #44
GOT PSI

Drives: SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS9CamaroSS View Post
I Personally think the Camaro symbol would look terrible on the outside of this vehicle... now if they put it on the Steering wheel we might have some thing, but i think the Exterior of this car should have either gold or silver Chevy badges (I personally hope gold with silver trim). I say steering wheel and possibly embroidered into the headrests for the Red/White/Blue camaro symbol and put the Chevy symbols on the outside...
I like your ideas but I would go with solid silver on the bow tie.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #45
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Most paid 29k-31k for a GTO. Maybe a few crazy people paid 35k when the GTOs first came out. But the majority of GTO owners paid right around 30k for their GTOs.
I've owned 2 GTOs (05 M6 GTO - paid 29k new for it) and a 06 A4 GTO (paid 31k for it - and I paid too much).

But I agree with you.

The V8 (400hp) Camaro is going to cost around 30k. The base price will probably be 27k-28k, but with a couple basic options (included on every car) that price will jump to 30-32k or so.

If the 400hp Camaro can be purchased for less than 30k, I will be extremely happy. But I expect to see a price tag of 31-32k on the window when I go shopping next Spring.
The Top of the line Camaro (500+ hp) will definately be over 40K. There's no way GM is going to put the LS7 in a Camaro and sell it for less than 40k. I would guess that the LS7 Camaros will be selling for close to 50k (with mark up) when they first come out.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #46
Omega94

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS9CamaroSS View Post
I see what you're saying...and you're probably right...but I'm thinking that if it's the right size...it might look really good. I really like the way the Camaro looks without the anything on the grill, too. So maybe if there are different grill options...we can get it without the Chevy badge. I'm not into gold...and I (just my personal opinion) think that a silver badge would really break up the look of an all black car with say....oooh, gunmetal or black wheels. Now...how about a GUNMETAL Chevy badge??? I could get into that! Or maybe Carbon fiber with silver trim...or gunmetal trim! Just real subtle. I don't know...just throwin' out ideas...

Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #47
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
I really like the way the Camaro looks without the anything on the grill, too. So maybe if there are different grill options...we can get it without the Chevy badge. I'm not into gold...and I (just my personal opinion) think that a silver badge would really break up the look of an all black car with say....oooh, gunmetal or black wheels. Now...how about a GUNMETAL Chevy badge??? I could get into that! Or maybe Carbon fiber with silver trim...or gunmetal trim! Just real subtle. I don't know...just throwin' out ideas...
I, myself, don't like the grille with nothing in it. But as you said, different grilles can remedy that for those that like it empty.

I'd like to see silver (brushed nickel or shiny) or body-color w/silver outline bowties, personally.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #48
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
The V8 (400hp) Camaro is going to cost around 30k. The base price will probably be 27k-28k, but with a couple basic options (included on every car) that price will jump to 30-32k or so.

If the 400hp Camaro can be purchased for less than 30k, I will be extremely happy. But I expect to see a price tag of 31-32k on the window when I go shopping next Spring.
Not if they want to sell against Mustangs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
The Top of the line Camaro (500+ hp) will definately be over 40K. There's no way GM is going to put the LS7 in a Camaro and sell it for less than 40k. I would guess that the LS7 Camaros will be selling for close to 50k (with mark up) when they first come out.
Who said LS7?

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #49
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
I would rather have a Z28 instead of an SS anyway but I would rather have the Z28 be the top line performer. Also they MUST have the headlight covers. The grill I've seen with those is truly awesome. On the pricing I agree that over 40K is too much and over a period of 2-3 years in production could that kill the Camaro again? Last comment, on Shelby's locally the dealers have taken the 50K and added 10K to them and its described as Market Value Cost. So again hopefully I don't have to pay 50K+ for a new Camaro because some dealer adds a Market Value price to an already 40K Camaro. I would hate to wait another year to buy the car cheaper.

KJ
The Great KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #50
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

I'm going to re-re-re-reiterate that not even GM knows what pricing is going to be. Stop speculating! It's gotten out of hand. While we may forgive GM for a $31k Camaro, average buyers will not. GM needs both enthusiasts and average Joes to get this car for it to be profitable. We, as enthusiasts, need average buyers to get this car so that it sells well enough for GM to continue making it. Most people don't care whether the car is made by Chevrolet or Suzuki so long as it drives and features options that are functional or enjoyable for their daily lives. If the primary competition that the Camaro will face is the Mustang, then Chevrolet has to take customers away from Ford to make the sale. That means the options and price tag must be close. Mary Soccer Mom doesn't car about a 300-hp V6, but she does care that she can get her kids to practice using a cool looking car with plenty of cargo room. Homie G doesn't care about weight because he's just going to slap on some 22" DUBs and get his shine on. Eric Ricer can't afford a V8 for his first car, but he can afford a GMPP ground effects kit and an upgraded sound system to show off for his friends. None of these buyers represent the enthusiast. In fact, most car buyers do have pride in their whips, but they don't care that the car is the best in horsepower. The Camaro needs to compete with the Mustang and Charger due to its modern-retro appeal. The Challenger is only competition for tradition, but tradition isn't nearly as important to GM as staying in business. Chevrolet and Pontiac love their traditions in performance and style, but the truth is that GM just wants to sell great cars to their consumers and to their competitors' consumers. Don't expect to see an expensive Camaro at release, and certainly don't expect what's at release to cost significantly more than a Mustang. Remember all those Ford reps on this site. How many of us have owned or do own a car from a Chevy rival? These guys are okay with getting the car they see as best, even if it isn't badged with a bowtie. GM needs these guys to see the Camaro as the best in class and the most appropriately priced. GM needs to show that to everyone. Expect a low pricetag that baffles you. Expect the best. And stop posting that this thing will cost over $30k!