Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Motor Trends 2009 Best Drivers Car

anyone else get the October issue?
I couldnt find the article online but basically its 10 cars put through the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

Camaro finishes dead last

discuss
Old 08-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
MuscleCarz

Drives: 5.4 3v
Here is the article.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p..._cayman_s.html
Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Rummel Autosport

Drives: 92 Skyline GTR, 89 240SX
I tend to agree with most of the "haters" of that review. The ZR1 creams everything else, and we are supposed to believe that a miata is more fun and rated well above a ZR1?!?!?!?!?!

Are you serious!?!?

If that is what they think and that is how they feel that is fine, but that surely means that these people do not think about cars like I do at all and it makes the opinions and views they have completely useless to me.

Either they are full of crap, or they are just on a different planet than me, so either way I give them a big thumbs down to them for the way this whole thing was done.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
this has already has been posted and is currently being discussed on this site...do a search please
Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
when you live in the dark it is sometimes a while before you can catch up 1320...lol But for the sake of the poster.....Grain of salt it was motortrend after all. And oh yes I would love to drive the miata more than my camaro...lol Fact of the matter is that I have raced my stock 2SS against scca race prepped Miata's and held my own. But what can you expect from such a light competetor. And the other poster hit it on the head. Look at the ZR1's across the board domination yet only a 5th place finish behind the better handling GT500? Look at the test results for the GT500 and compare it head to head with a stock 1SS that was tested....Crazy Motortrend must feel that the ford fanboys need a boost every month as they write the articles...I for one am sick of motortrend and their rediculous biased judgements and will simply stop my membership and avoid all thier news reports...Shame on them and shame on us for bothering to even read it..
Oh and the underperforming porche that won...Ha Ha..big belly laugh for the harvard boys that will run out and buy one. In my book the A8 is the top of the heap for street and road courses with the ZR1 right behind it...well technically in front of it but the A8 does ride smoother...lol
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 08-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Ash1977

Drives: 2013 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
when you live in the dark it is sometimes a while before you can catch up 1320...lol But for the sake of the poster.....Grain of salt it was motortrend after all. And oh yes I would love to drive the miata more than my camaro...lol Fact of the matter is that I have raced my stock 2SS against scca race prepped Miata's and held my own. But what can you expect from such a light competetor. And the other poster hit it on the head. Look at the ZR1's across the board domination yet only a 5th place finish behind the better handling GT500? Look at the test results for the GT500 and compare it head to head with a stock 1SS that was tested....Crazy Motortrend must feel that the ford fanboys need a boost every month as they write the articles...I for one am sick of motortrend and their rediculous biased judgements and will simply stop my membership and avoid all thier news reports...Shame on them and shame on us for bothering to even read it..
Oh and the underperforming porche that won...Ha Ha..big belly laugh for the harvard boys that will run out and buy one. In my book the A8 is the top of the heap for street and road courses with the ZR1 right behind it...well technically in front of it but the A8 does ride smoother...lol
Do you mean the R8? The A8 is a 4 door sedan. The GT500 does beat the Camaro on the track. I will agree with you on the GT500 beating the ZR1. That's a little crazy.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Kurt_OH

Drives: BMW, Hyundai
The article was about FUN to drive, not FAST to drive.

The ZR1 is scary. Gobs of power, easy to lose control, basically takes a pro driver to do well.

Camaro SS has dead steering and GOBS of understeer. There isn't much LESS fun on a road course than gobs of understeer. Except maybe actually crashing.

I agree the R8 is sweet, but I still take the ZR1.

I was impressed that the Camaro SS beat the 135i and 370Z NISMO around the track. Way to go, Camaro!

The Cayman S is a FANTASTIC sports car.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
I think this one has been beat to death already......

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=motortrend
Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Don't believe these sniveling yuppies!! They are all on Payola, and they are extremely spoiled. No Shit that a Porche at that price level is a blast. Stupid freakin' articles, I sware their is a conspiracy against GM.

MOTORTREND
Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
Kurt_OH

Drives: BMW, Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Don't believe these sniveling yuppies!! They are all on Payola, and they are extremely spoiled. No Shit that a Porche at that price level is a blast. Stupid freakin' articles, I sware their is a conspiracy against GM.

MOTORTREND
I agree.

It's absolutely stupid to even put the Camaro in a comparo (LOL) with a ZR1, R8, Cayman or any of the other 2x, 3x price "competition". Where's the Hyundai, the Mustang GT, the Charger, the other $32k sporty vehicles? None can hang!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Rummel Autosport

Drives: 92 Skyline GTR, 89 240SX
"we are motor trend and we don't think the Camaro is nearly as refined as the Porche, R8, or as fast as the ZR1"

NO CRAP!!!!!!

What were the alternates for this test? 09' Toyota Sienna, 3500 Dodge dually, and a smart car with a flat tire??
What other cars could they throw in there to be biased to Porche and Ford?

Next month it will be something biased toward Toyota/Lexus, or maybe something kissing Audi's behind. Nevermind that if you look at consumer reports they do not recommend ANY Audi as a good buy, but yet motor trend loves brown-nosing with them.

I am glad I never wasted a dollar on that magazine.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
AZCamaroFan
6 Years on Camaro5

Drives: Camaros
Some of the stuff in that article i can't argue with, like the weight of the Camaro. It is really hard to figure how the Camaro's weight shows up , but the Shelby's does not, especially because that car is nose heavy. First of all, aside from the Miata and the 370Z, all the other cars were way more expensive. I'm really suprised to see all the comments about understeer, because my Camaro's in the past sure didn't have that. I think if they really wanted to talk about a "driver's car" , they should have tested them on public roads.
The ZR1 compared to the Miata is silly. The ZR1 finished what, 12 seconds ahead on the road course. So drive it the same speed the Miata can carry, and see if it isn't a little more stable. I've noticed in recent years these magazines praise cars like the miata and porsche boxster as the best handlers, and yet really they are just tooling around in those cars, not carrying nearly as much speed as a Corvette. What a sweet driving little car! Uh yeah, you're carrying 10mph less in the corner.
I also cannot comprehend the mustang being rated ahead of the Corvette.
You know the last 4th gen MT compared against a 2002 mustang cobra, they said the future of pony cars was with IRS cars like the SVT Cobra. Well here you have Chevy putting IRS in the Camaro, and yet it gets slammed. Hey, how about driving them on public roads, where the pavement isn't all smooth. Plus the Shelby rides better?! It seems GM is damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
Plus the Shelby rides better?!
I've driven both on the same exact public roads and the Shelby does, indeed, have a better ride than the SS Camaro. In fact, the SS rides worse than my 2006 GTO did on the same roads. It's just the way it is.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:54 AM   #14
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I find that when people talk about 'the ride' it's all so subjective. I think a BMW 'rides' better than a comparable Lexus. But I like to feel the road. So I'll take the 'ride' the way 'I' like it.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I don't think anyone should be complaining about us coming in last .. look at what we were up against price wise and just plain old fun to drive wise (miata). I think they were spot on .. plus they said .. you could easily tune out the what made this car last out of the 10 cars ... Now I say GM ... build us a Z28 with about 550hp and those items tuned out and we have ourselves a top 5 contender for sure !!

Crowley
Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I don't think anyone should be complaining about us coming in last .. look at what we were up against price wise and just plain old fun to drive wise (miata). I think they were spot on .. plus they said .. you could easily tune out the what made this car last out of the 10 cars ... Now I say GM ... build us a Z28 with about 550hp and those items tuned out and we have ourselves a top 5 contender for sure !!

Crowley
Now thats someone that takes it like a man!!!I found the same thing...too much understter because softly unsprung up front ...put coils etc...
Old 09-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
OH HAIL NO...

We're not doing this again...

closed.

Closed Thread