Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-31-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
'14-ELLIE

Drives: 2014 Hellion TT Camaro 1LE
Am I under Warranty?

Having a strange electrical issue with the car two weeks after my TT install.

The back story...

Went on vacation over Memorial Day weekend. Left the car at the airport for 4 days. Upon return, the car fired up, no problems whatsoever. Drove the car an hour and a half close to home then stopped to get some food (10 minutes). Returned to the car... Completely dead! My first instinct was that I may have left something on in the car (although I was confused because it had only been off for ten minutes). Jump started the car and got home.

The next morning, I had to jump it again to get to work. When I had a couple minutes, I went to the trunk to see if any connections were bad at the battery. Wiggled some things around and wouldn't ya know it... She fired right up! I thought I had solved the problem.

Car started fine the next couple of days. Then, the same problem. Now it won't go away. Tried the trunk thing again, no luck. I've been monitoring the voltage on the dash and the battery isn't charging. Once it's jumped, it gets to 14.7 volts and then no more (gradually going down to 12.1-12.4 overnight). I've checked the connections at the alternator... All seems fine.

I am very confident that it has nothing to do with the TT install. My concern is two things... What the heck is wrong?? Haha... And am I under warranty for the issue (assuming it isn't TT related).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. All of you have been a huge help in the past. Thanks in advance.
'14-ELLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
If the cause of the failure is related to the Mod, then your outta luck, if its not your good. Take it to a mod friendly dealer and see if they will replace your battery under warranty.
AGP TT kit, Alky Controll, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps,MSD BAP, FSP custom grind Turbo cam, Dual Valve springs, 25% SLP UDP, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1400hp axles, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000 , ZL1 rear end conversion and line lock coming soon....Built and tuned with pride by FSP 747whp/714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #3
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
They dorked up a grounding cable or battery terminal is loose. No dealership would touch it, especially when you say you just did major mods and suddenly you have warranty issues. Its not a warranty issue, its a mod install issue. Take it to who did the work or check the cables yourself.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
'14-ELLIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
They dorked up a grounding cable or battery terminal is loose. No dealership would touch it, especially when you say you just did major mods and suddenly you have warranty issues. Its not a warranty issue, its a mod install issue. Take it to who did the work or check the cables yourself.
I would agree with you, but I am confused as to why it took 2 weeks for the issue to arise. If it was an installation issue, shouldn't it have occurred sooner?...Certainly when not being driven for 4 days??

I can admit that I am no expert on this... Just using logical reasoning.

Any more ideas?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
A loose connector works itself looser by vibration and use, it happens all the time. When something goes wrong hardly 2 weeks after major modifications you don't blame what was fine before but what has been changed since.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
motorhead
Gen 6 rules!

Drives: ZL1
I agree with others. Take it back to the shop that did the work. Definitely sounds like a loose connection somewhere.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Rumbumbees$ponsor

Drives: Autobot
Ran into same thing.. but not on a tt install Check list..

1. Bat connections
2. Jumper connection
3. Hot and ground in fuse box
4. Ground Straps cylinder heads and block
5. Starter wires

If its not charging the way the system works is that it needs to see some initial voltage first to tell the regulator to charge. So the wires may look fine there at the alternator but there is a chance one could of been spliced into, nicked, pulled pin out off connector..

I hate them type of problems..

I'd go over the directions on the TT install and see what wires needed to be loosened or spliced ect..
Old 06-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
'14-ELLIE

Thanks for the tips as always guys. Will be knocking out the 'to check' list one by one and will check back in with updates when the issue is solved.

Certainly isn't taking the grin off my face when the boost hits!! haha
Old 06-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
amerimuscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
im with rumbumbee, check the grounding strap on the back of the cylinder head
amerimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
amerimuscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
could it be parasitic draw? maybe? dunno
amerimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
'14-ELLIE

Ok guys, just wanted to close the loop. Ended up being a bad cell in the battery. What a relief. New battery completely under warranty.

Advice for others... No matter the electrical issue, get your battery checked first! Thanks for all the help and drive safe.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by '14-ELLIE View Post
Ok guys, just wanted to close the loop. Ended up being a bad cell in the battery. What a relief. New battery completely under warranty.

Advice for others... No matter the electrical issue, get your battery checked first! Thanks for all the help and drive safe.
To add to that, when my battery went bad, my car would run like crap. definately didnt feel like a bad battery. It felt like a sensor was bad. Making the car run terrible, stumbling and missing. Our cars, infact many cars today use certain voltage numbers to run the injectors. Here are just a few examples.
Attached Images

AGP TT kit, Alky Controll, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps,MSD BAP, FSP custom grind Turbo cam, Dual Valve springs, 25% SLP UDP, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1400hp axles, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000 , ZL1 rear end conversion and line lock coming soon....Built and tuned with pride by FSP 747whp/714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
Reelgrinder

Drives: 2010 SS
Also if anyone else has bat drain issues, dont forget if you did a scosche and stereo upgrade they been known to have issues. A new driver for scosche unit or head unit is usually needed to fix it.
Kooks LT No Cats
Livernois dual pump
Id850s
Reelgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #14
'14-ELLIE

Awesome info guys! Hopefully we will keep at least one person from going insane trying to find bigger issues that aren't there.