Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #5152
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
or wrose
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #5153
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
here's a link to the 17" Weld wheels that fit the 2010 Camaro for Drag racing...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127027
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #5154
2010 BADSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
We are having a small spring thaw here... warming up into the lower 40's!!! Woo Hoo!!

It's finally warm enough to melt some of the 4' snowbanks. Not that I can drive my car right now anyway.. It is still at the chassis shop getting the cage welded in.

Glad to see the weather starting to warm up for you! Hopefully your cars all back together soon.

Here are a couple pics from the track Saturday to really give you spring fever. The last one is me next to a "My size racecar"
Name:  tr1.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  tr2.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  tr3.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  133.3 KB
DSS 9" rear with 3.90 gear
Pfadt suspension/Hotchkiss chassis brace
Forgeline Wheels VR3S/Nitto tires

Beware of the LPE Sisterhood
2010 BADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #5155
JusticePete

You are having to much fun. I am sending the fun police. On second thought, I'll come out and handle this myself.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #5156
2010 BADSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You are having to much fun. I am sending the fun police. On second thought, I'll come out and handle this myself.
Pete, you're welcome to come out here anytime and join in the fun!!
DSS 9" rear with 3.90 gear
Pfadt suspension/Hotchkiss chassis brace
Forgeline Wheels VR3S/Nitto tires

Beware of the LPE Sisterhood
2010 BADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #5157
600hp-lpe

Nice Pic's Diana.. YOu guys are lucky you never really stopped having fun during the winter break... Cool stuff!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #5158
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 BADSS View Post
Pete, you're welcome to come out here anytime and join in the fun!!
You guys are just AWESOME! Thank you.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #5159
Blue70SS

Drives: 2010 LS3Camaro2SSRS IOM in/out
Quote:
here's a link to the 17" Weld wheels that fit the 2010 Camaro for Drag racing...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127027
FYI, they are 3-piece welded (not bolted) - but price is nice
If using Racing Brake 3-piece rotors you'll have 2mm less clearance between spokes and front SS brakes. For Bogarts and my Forgelines I had to use 1/8" spacers on front (3.175mm) and changed out front wheel studs to longer '04 Silverado studs that are 7mm longer, but same style. Then ground off 7mm to match the existing 64mm long studs and chamfered the end and spray galv - then installed. Even though the same length, I had to grind a small lip on the spindle casting to insert them (difference between last 1/4" having threads or not. Now I have 11.33 threads used on my Forgelines wheels, which previously had 6.25 threads used (we need 9.33 turns for the 14mm x 1.5 thread pitch bolts). Best part is the OEM wheels can still be installed with 2 threads available in acorn nut before bottoming out if spacers aren't used. The nuts still thread easily since they are not the "all thread" type.
boosted LPE Twin Pump,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #5160
600hp-lpe

Blue, great info!

you don't happen to have a picture of the wheel studs not in the vehicle, do you? I need to see what the shoulder/mounting end looks like. I havn't removed a stud yet.

I want to get some Drag Race style (really long ones) with open ended lug nuts. The longer the better... that way if one starts to strip when at the track, a quick cut off wheel / hacksaw / file will fix it (not in that order LOL) and still be in business.

I have to swap all of the tires before every race.. I did mess up one stud at the track. I was able to fix the thread at the time.. I am concerned about the time I can't. I want them to be as long as possible. Not sure what other options are available for wheel studs.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #5161
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
FYI, they are 3-piece welded (not bolted) - but price is nice
If using Racing Brake 3-piece rotors you'll have 2mm less clearance between spokes and front SS brakes. For Bogarts and my Forgelines I had to use 1/8" spacers on front (3.175mm) and changed out front wheel studs to longer '04 Silverado studs that are 7mm longer, but same style. Then ground off 7mm to match the existing 64mm long studs and chamfered the end and spray galv - then installed. Even though the same length, I had to grind a small lip on the spindle casting to insert them (difference between last 1/4" having threads or not. Now I have 11.33 threads used on my Forgelines wheels, which previously had 6.25 threads used (we need 9.33 turns for the 14mm x 1.5 thread pitch bolts). Best part is the OEM wheels can still be installed with 2 threads available in acorn nut before bottoming out if spacers aren't used. The nuts still thread easily since they are not the "all thread" type.
Heck the price is awsome, and for strip only use, what the hell. I am already up to 3 1/2 sets of wheels and tires.
I am confused, you replaced the OEM studs for some 7mm longer then trimmed them back down 7mm? Did you replace the studs to gain length to clear the spacer, or for a larger dia. stud? Can you post some pics so I can see what you did for the spindle casting?
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #5162
mws444

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 BADSS View Post
Glad to see the weather starting to warm up for you! Hopefully your cars all back together soon.

Here are a couple pics from the track Saturday to really give you spring fever. The last one is me next to a "My size racecar"
Attachment 207157

Attachment 207158

Attachment 207159
Ouch, I admit it I am officially jealous!
Way to go 2010!!! I figure you are about ready for a new set of tires on that beast about now. Nothing better than building an awesome car and then enjoying it.

Cant wait to hit the track with you again at the fest!!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #5163
mws444

Try to get Darren out and about once in a while! I worry about him and the all work thing. Although I get caught all too often in the same trap. I did sneak out for a few hours this last weekend for some strip time.
Took the new rig for the long 14 mile haul. I really just wanted to practice loading the car and figuring out what else I need to get it all set up for the Fest. I know I need a bigger air compressor for the impact, and jack storage.
Man I wish I could retire andd do this kind of stuff full time.....oh well someday.
Or I guess I could just go to work for Pedders.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #5164
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Heck the price is awsome, and for strip only use, what the hell. I am already up to 3 1/2 sets of wheels and tires.
I am confused, you replaced the OEM studs for some 7mm longer then trimmed them back down 7mm? Did you replace the studs to gain length to clear the spacer, or for a larger dia. stud? Can you post some pics so I can see what you did for the spindle casting?
<you replaced the OEM studs for some 7mm longer then trimmed them back down 7mm?>
Yes, and Yes.

The silverado studs are the same size.. just longer, i believe.

Ok..I'll try to answer.. the Camaro (and Silverado) studs have a smaller end thread that the lug nut itself doesn't use... that's what Garth cut off. I think that outer thread is for those plastic lug nut covers used on some vehicles like the Impala.

You gotta love how chevy just pulls parts out of the ol' parts bin.. I actually like that they do that.. it means you can get parts from a different car when you need something down the road.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #5165
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Try to get Darren out and about once in a while! I worry about him and the all work thing. Although I get caught all too often in the same trap. I did sneak out for a few hours this last weekend for some strip time.
Took the new rig for the long 14 mile haul. I really just wanted to practice loading the car and figuring out what else I need to get it all set up for the Fest. I know I need a bigger air compressor for the impact, and jack storage.
Man I wish I could retire andd do this kind of stuff full time.....oh well someday.
Or I guess I could just go to work for Pedders.
A whole 14 miles, huh? did the tow rig get up to temp? LOL

That's a beautiful rig you got there.. I can't wait to drool on it in person at the fest.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #5166
Blue70SS

Quote:
Blue, great info!

you don't happen to have a picture of the wheel studs not in the vehicle, do you? I need to see what the shoulder/mounting end looks like. I havn't removed a stud yet.

I want to get some Drag Race style (really long ones) with open ended lug nuts. The longer the better... that way if one starts to strip when at the track, a quick cut off wheel / hacksaw / file will fix it (not in that order LOL) and still be in business.

I have to swap all of the tires before every race.. I did mess up one stud at the track. I was able to fix the thread at the time.. I am concerned about the time I can't. I want them to be as long as possible. Not sure what other options are available for wheel studs.
Quote:

I took some pics of the process, but won't have access to them till this weekend. I'll post up some pics. The 04' Silverado 2500 studs are part #11588810 and our existing ones that are 64mm total length are #11588811.
Our studs look like this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1060162
The end is rounded and not threaded to aid in lug installation without crossthreading. I think the non threaded area is something like 10mm. I used a grinder to remove 7mm of this area to retain a small portion of the non threaded area.... just enough to help lugs go on easy - plus rounded the edges. Took measurements with a caliper micrometer. In the end I have the same length studs, but have 7mm more useable thread.

My spacers and rotors combination made me loose 1.175mm of threads which is about 3/4 of a turn (thread). Even without this, I would be at 7 threads being used on my Forgelines if using all OEM parts which is only 75% bolted on. A 14mm x 1.5mm thread pitch requires 9.33 threads per NHRA rules - our stock wheels pass. The problem is almost all aftermarket high performance wheels have thicker wheel centers. My goal was to get the 9.33 threads on all sets of wheels, but still be able to throw on the OEM SS wheels without punching through the lug nut. But remember that the OEM studs JUST BARELY are replaceable without removing the hub from the spindle casting - that was the #1 reason to keep the stud length to 64mm total length.

MWS, no slam meant on the Weld Racing wheels. I had checked them out and thought they were bolted 3-piece wheels at first where individual components could be replaced if damaged. I think they're a great deal and look nice - would definitely consider if had to do over. Weld couldn't get any clearance measurements for me, due to the test car being a customer's that had his Camaro at home snowed in.
boosted LPE Twin Pump,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions

LPE Brotherhood
Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #5167
600hp-lpe

So the Issue with the overall 65mm length was getting them in from the backside?
I could understand that being the reason.

Are the hubs using a sealed bearing? Do you think the bearing replaceable, or is it a spindle assy swap? (Will they come apart?)
I'm asking because I don't have access to my car to examine right now.

Thanks for the detailed pic on the stud.. exactly what I wanted to see. I figured they were press in as opposed to screw in studs.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #5168
Blue70SS

Quote:
So the Issue with the overall 65mm length was getting them in from the backside?
I could understand that being the reason.

Are the hubs using a sealed bearing? Do you think the bearing replaceable, or is it a spindle assy swap? (Will they come apart?)
I'm asking because I don't have access to my car to examine right now.

Thanks for the detailed pic on the stud.. exactly what I wanted to see. I figured they were press in as opposed to screw in studs.
Yes, any longer - or in this case, even same length, but having more threads creates a minor issue installing them. Minor modification of knuckle casting needed. I checked with Chevy and wheel bearing assembly comes with studs and all for $265 and bolts into the knuckle. I didn't think it was a good idea to have a stud that required removing this just to replace one though.

I'll post a link to a new thread on this on the weekend. I don't want to clutter up our thread too much, plus more usable/searchable info then.

LPE Brotherhood